PDA

View Full Version : What would you invest in today?

flydude
03-19-2020, 11:16 PM
What stock(s)would you go with today and why? How would the Covid19 situation alter your investment?

HighlandHeart
03-19-2020, 11:31 PM
3M because they make masks and they are trading at a low price right now.

huntinstuff
03-19-2020, 11:44 PM
Smith &Wesson

Fisherdan
03-19-2020, 11:50 PM
I don’t know about today, but Amazon at some point maybe? I think this will break a lot of retailers. Maybe a lot of folks who have never used online shopping will now discover its benefits, and switch to it.

Edit: the way our dollar is tanking, I might not be able to buy a single share of Amazon! Lol

raab
03-19-2020, 11:52 PM
I’m still holding GILD. I bought TC Energy cheap because it’s hard to get pipelines built and they pay right around 5% dividend

CaberTosser
03-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Any medical supply company that makes or distributes hospital ventilators and similarly-required equipment for Covid-19.

Map Maker
03-20-2020, 12:07 AM
Warren Buffett is buying Delta Airlines.
When people are fearful,be greedy

Austin
03-20-2020, 12:07 AM
Air Canada, Microsoft, Amzn, carnival cruise lines, Walt Disney,,, but I’m too scared to do it

JD848
03-20-2020, 12:16 AM
Netflix will be the only one showing good money in there QE, they probably doubled there new customers in the past 3 weeks.

Certain med makers in the usa who are pumping out at full capacity.

Ups maybe another due to hi volume online shopping.

I always say if your not in big trouble don't go looking for.

Desperate moves are foolish moves, unless you got a gun to your head ,take your time.

Plus anything I say is my own opinion, so don't invest on my thoughts or others on this site.peroid.

JD

HunterDave
03-20-2020, 12:18 AM
I guess that it would depend on your investment horizon and risk tolerance.

I’m just starting to look but I’d like to know more about Cenovus and CNRL. Do people think that they may go under or what? Between the oil price war and the virus they got absolutely hammered this month.

JustBen
03-20-2020, 04:07 AM

I’m just starting to look but I’d like to know more about Cenovus and CNRL. Do people think that they may go under or what? Between the oil price war and the virus they got absolutely hammered this month.

I would only invest in a fully integrated O&G company. Suncor or even Imperial.

Jigsalot
03-20-2020, 05:52 AM

My opinion only. To me energy stocks are in trouble. Oil inventories are way up and oil consumption is dropping every day. Barrel price is low so oil companies are going to lose huge amounts of money and I’m sure the smaller ones will never recover from this. The outlook for the spread of the virus in the US is unbelievable. News last night said California alone could see a 30 percent infection. That’s 25 million people. Need to wait this thing out and my only play that I see is safe is the Big banks in Canada but not getting back into them for a while here. Not investing in anything right now

Prairiewolf
03-20-2020, 07:17 AM
What stock(s)would you go with today and why? How would the Covid19 situation alter your investment?

So "stocks to go with today" is not investing - its speculating. I wouldn't do that - go bonds, money market funds, stable stuff. NO stock right now can rely on fundamentals.

Longer term, energy has to bounce back - the Suncor / CNRL plays are still good long buys, though there's probably pain to be had still. Some mid cap and small cap companies will weather this, others won't. Tread carefully.

If this virus subsides and we get the green light to live as before, imagine the pent up travel people will want to do. Airlines, Vegas, hotel chains, leisure activities, Disneyland for crying out loud!

thenaturalwoodsman
03-20-2020, 07:26 AM
My opinion only. To me energy stocks are in trouble. Oil inventories are way up and oil consumption is dropping every day. Barrel price is low so oil companies are going to lose huge amounts of money and I’m sure the smaller ones will never recover from this. The outlook for the spread of the virus in the US is unbelievable. News last night said California alone could see a 30 percent infection. That’s 25 million people. Need to wait this thing out and my only play that I see is safe is the Big banks in Canada but not getting back into them for a while here. Not investing in anything right now

Yes I agree!
Nothing is moving as it normally would no planes, automobiles, ships, etc. Everyone and everything is idled right back. Bailout's and relief packages from these Government's is just more misery later as someone has to pay it back at some point. You have to believe this is not over schools and borders are closed and or closing for a reason. The auto maker plants are down in the USA, and this could happen at any of these big plants anywhere even some of the Big oil and gas Plants right here in Alberta! No one can predict the future but I don't think we are threw the worst in North America yet when we are just in the early stages of the Virus.

North American Markets are set to open higher in 4 minutes, but nothing has really changed other than Government bailout's and China "Claims" to have beat the Virus...…… Trump also will fix the price of oil at some point but no need yet as there is no demand because of these lockdowns.

Good luck to all! Stay safe!

fishtank
03-20-2020, 07:42 AM
This storm will wipe out some company with a weaker balance sheet , even the one with a strong balance will be weaken , until a cure is found for sure. I would not be doing a lot of buying , if you are planning to buy don’t jump in with both feet, I would eight split it in to 20% buying every quarter ... you won’t missed the upswing....

58thecat
03-20-2020, 07:43 AM
My personal mental health and well being.....worth more than money can buy.

fishtank
03-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote for Truth :bad_boys_20:

Buckhead
03-20-2020, 07:50 AM

Well I hear voices all the time and have been told I am a bit strange....so might as well have some money to go with that.:)

daveyn
03-20-2020, 07:52 AM
Canadian Banks, they won't go out of business, they will recover and the dividends right now are around 8% for any of them. Its a long term play but it's relatively safe and you get the dividend while you wait for the price to recover.

Buckhead
03-20-2020, 07:55 AM
I would be extremely cautious about buying companies based on the dividend yield. Companies are going to have to preserve cash. That means cutting or eliminating the dividend for a while. One may have to hold the stock for while with no dividend.

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 08:00 AM
I would look at Pembina. They are trading at roughly 6x earnings, they pay a very healthy dividend (over 15% currently) that is 100% covered by fee based cash flows I believe, and oil won't be $20 forever.

As per Motley Fool....

58thecat
03-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Well I hear voices all the time and have been told I am a bit strange....so might as well have some money to go with that.:)

I hear ya....oh wait that was me or was it.....wait, nope it was me....sorry....

To the OP....investing....buy low....sell high....but not at the peak of the stock cuz ya can't sell it....than it crashes......think about investing as dating.....sometimes it works and sometimes ya get left there lookin'stupid!

But....sooner or later you will get good at it....call it a gut feeling.....get a book on investing....read lots....get a very well rounded knowledge on it and you will do fine....be careful on the subject matter experts....some are reputable like used car salesmen.....good luck.

realist
03-20-2020, 08:15 AM
For the long term, you can't beat the Banks (RBC,CIBC,BoM), Pipelines (Tc, ENB, PPL); Techs (BCE, Telus, Rogers). All good dividend payers and solid growth in the 3-5 year range.
Oil and Gas is 'done like dinner". Look for a lot of Juniors to fail. Best to invest in service companies that are part of the Well Abandonment initiative.
Faint glimmer of hope is for Natural Gas, once the PG pipeline is built to Kitimat.
Canada has a lot of NG, and drilling will ramp up once Canada starts delivering LNG to Pacific Rim, but that's probably 5 yrs from now.
I'm a retired (2016) Geologist and it's still painful to read about the collapse of the industry that was so good to me.

HalfBreed
03-20-2020, 08:24 AM
3M because they make masks and they are trading at a low price right now.

Corning I think is what you want.

slough shark
03-20-2020, 09:22 AM
Gold mining companies, the printing presses are just starting up, get ready for inflation like we haven’t seen in a while.

Savage Bacon
03-20-2020, 09:25 AM
I was thinking of raising the investment risk of my pension. Every one of the last few years had a higher return rate than the level I'm at now.

bdub
03-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Gold mining companies, the printing presses are just starting up, get ready for inflation like we haven’t seen in a while.

Just took profit on some of our gold stocks yesterday on the premise that they are going to be scaling back or shutting down operations just like every other company. I agree on the outlook for gold after this is over and I just think a better spot to buy back into the gold miners is coming. If you don't own gold I think it's not a bad spot to pick away. JMHO.