PDA

View Full Version : If you're bored at home you can watch my first crabbing experience!

HuyFishin
03-20-2020, 12:08 PM
https://youtu.be/a55LR6CRMQI

This was my first time crabbing on my own using a half moon crab trap from the pier in BC. Hope you enjoy the video!

Subscribe if you enjoyed it!

If you guys want to give it a try this is where i went.
Google Sooke Rotary Pier Walkway. I didnt get many male crab but apparently i was told its much better during the summer.

Smoky buck
03-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Getaway from the pier and you will find keepers/males. You don’t even need to go far 100yards will often do it. As a kid I used to crab near a busy pier that you were luck to catch a keeper or two all day. We would take a inflatable 4 man dingy and drop a trap 100yards or more away from the pier and limit out in an hour or two. This was in the lower mainland

Now Kitimat is awesome for huge crabs

liar
03-20-2020, 12:36 PM
nice , thanks for sharing

HuyFishin
03-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Getaway from the pier and you will find keepers/males. You don’t even need to go far 100yards will often do it. As a kid I used to crab near a busy pier that you were luck to catch a keeper or two all day. We would take a inflatable 4 man dingy and drop a trap 100yards or more away from the pier and limit out in an hour or two. This was in the lower mainland

Now Kitimat is awesome for huge crabs

Hey! thank you for letting me know!

I will try to bring my kayak next time and try to crab from my kayak.

Smoky buck
03-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Hey! thank you for letting me know!

I will try to bring my kayak next time and try to crab from my kayak.

Piers get hammered and crabs don’t travel much.

If you can find mudflats with some weeds near a small creek 20-40ft of water your golden. If you want a mix of red rock and dungeoness 15-25ft of water.

If you want to catch some flounder/sole/greenling and other small bottom well you wait fish drag strips of squid along the bottom. Small buzz bombs tipped with bait work too. You don’t need to go deep for small bottom fish I have caught lots off shore during incoming tides. If you fish down current from your crab traps fish come to eat the scraps of bait your crabs tear up

You can catch some strange stuff in your traps or with a hook in the ocean. I have brought in a few WTH is that fish as a kid lol

Sitting Bull
03-20-2020, 02:32 PM
Great video, very enjoyable.

MyAlberta
03-20-2020, 03:48 PM
Ex and I would take a bottle of wine and spend the aft crabbing off the old gov wharf in Sooke, back in early 80’s. Sluice from a small processor brought lots of crabs in. If I remember, it would be Oct when the shrimp came in. AColeman stove, a pot of water, and the cooler.

HuyFishin
03-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Piers get hammered and crabs don’t travel much.

If you can find mudflats with some weeds near a small creek 20-40ft of water your golden. If you want a mix of red rock and dungeoness 15-25ft of water.

If you want to catch some flounder/sole/greenling and other small bottom well you wait fish drag strips of squid along the bottom. Small buzz bombs tipped with bait work too. You don’t need to go deep for small bottom fish I have caught lots off shore during incoming tides. If you fish down current from your crab traps fish come to eat the scraps of bait your crabs tear up

You can catch some strange stuff in your traps or with a hook in the ocean. I have brought in a few WTH is that fish as a kid lol

The ocean is a huge learning curve, I tried catching flounder with no luck. Not sure if I was doing anything wrong. I ask locals if they ever see people fishing on that pier and nobody knows anything. haha

HuyFishin
03-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Ex and I would take a bottle of wine and spend the aft crabbing off the old gov wharf in Sooke, back in early 80’s. Sluice from a small processor brought lots of crabs in. If I remember, it would be Oct when the shrimp came in. AColeman stove, a pot of water, and the cooler.

I was wondering if there was a place to catch prawn from a pier!

Sundancefisher
03-20-2020, 04:40 PM
I find a kayak and a crab trap and I can set anywhere. Last year three of us had 7-14 keepers a day in two traps. We kept enough to live on crab for 2 weeks.

Smoky buck
03-20-2020, 04:46 PM
The ocean is a huge learning curve, I tried catching flounder with no luck. Not sure if I was doing anything wrong. I ask locals if they ever see people fishing on that pier and nobody knows anything. haha

Stay away from piers is my first advice. Find big sand or mud flats and slowly bounce or drag a strip of squid along the bottom at high tide or incoming tide. They are attracted to movement and dust kicking up a lot more than still fished bait. Dew worms, sand worms, strips of fish, and chicken skin work. If you don’t find flounder/sole you will find sculpin, perch, greeling, small rockfish and other random fish depending on the structure/bottom

Not a lot of people target these fish most stick to salmon, lingcod, rockfish, and halibut. I only targeted these fish to kill time well crabbing because I could not leave traps unattended in the area I fished

I am not a pro at ocean fishing just got experience from living on the coast

MyAlberta
03-20-2020, 06:10 PM
I was wondering if there was a place to catch prawn from a pier!

Prawns are deeper water. 300 feet kind of stuff. I believe it was coon strip shrimp we were catching. Lots of work cleaning them as they are quite small. This next long weekend was the traditional long beach camp out. A park employee would paddle out and raid some commercial traps. Always a good time.

huntinstuff
03-20-2020, 06:37 PM
I really enjoyed your video

Ive never seen that before. Good for you!!!!!

Ken07AOVette
03-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Find out where the lodge and guide boats clean their fish. Set up near there. :)

Red Bullets
03-20-2020, 07:06 PM
That look like a great way to spend a few days. Well done video. I like the traps. Did you catch anything with your rod over the couple days?

I noticed one thing... when you got your sectional rod out I saw a Timmy's cup. Darn Tim Hortons will do anything for an advertisement. :)

JBE
03-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Looks liked fun.Great video!!

CBintheNorth
03-20-2020, 08:16 PM
Gotta say, that was very entertaining.
Thanks for posting.

Puma
03-20-2020, 10:48 PM
I enjoyed that.

elk eater
03-21-2020, 12:07 AM
That’s awesome !!! Great video. I know what I’m doing this summer. Is there a best time of year to try this ?

HuyFishin
03-21-2020, 09:13 AM
Thank you for watching everyone!

If anyone wanted to try there hand when they are heading to the west coast this was the type of trap I used. I bought mine from one of the local tackle shops in victoria.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sea-king-casting-crab-trap-1781394p.html

CaberTosser
03-21-2020, 09:31 AM
That looks like lots of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us. You’ll never go hungry by the ocean!

58thecat
03-21-2020, 09:53 AM
man I just luv the island....grew up in Comox as a kid....travelled all over it just fishing...from the mountains to the sea what a awesome place...thx for the vid and some past memories.!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

You should get back in the mountains and fish the remote lakes and streams etc....dolly's and cuts etc...

The ocean holds a fishing adventure too....

HuyFishin
03-21-2020, 10:15 AM
man I just luv the island....grew up in Comox as a kid....travelled all over it just fishing...from the mountains to the sea what a awesome place...thx for the vid and some past memories.!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

You should get back in the mountains and fish the remote lakes and streams etc....dolly's and cuts etc...

The ocean holds a fishing adventure too....

I would love to! The entire island is a whole new world. Seems like there is so much to explore. I'm trying to create and make a bucket list for the island. Hard to find places when you're unfamiliar with the area and the names.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 03:01 PM
I would love to! The entire island is a whole new world. Seems like there is so much to explore. I'm trying to create and make a bucket list for the island. Hard to find places when you're unfamiliar with the area and the names.

land at airport...rent a jeep/kayak get a map/logging roads...hmmm should take about 6 months to conquer :)...or do it in spurts!

HuyFishin
03-23-2020, 03:07 PM
land at airport...rent a jeep/kayak get a map/logging roads...hmmm should take about 6 months to conquer :)...or do it in spurts!

Join me on this venture haha

58thecat
03-23-2020, 03:11 PM

I am currently quarantined to Cold Lake as I have "Salvelinus namaycush" virus...should be over it 31 March ish…..:)

Keep the vids coming!!!!

Trochu
03-23-2020, 03:15 PM
What are you using for editing software?

sirmike68
03-23-2020, 04:08 PM
Excellent post! Keep up the adventure....I really enjoyed your video. I'm from the prairies and the ocean life and fishing is totally alien to me. One day I'll get down to the coast to do this myself!

HuyFishin
03-23-2020, 04:20 PM
I am currently quarantined to Cold Lake as I have "Salvelinus namaycush" virus...should be over it 31 March ish…..:)

Keep the vids coming!!!!

I dont know what that is haha get well soon i suppose!

What are you using for editing software?
The software i'm using would be Adobe Premier Pro. The intro animations and subscribe/bell ring animations was done on adobe after effect. learned all of it on youtube haha.

Excellent post! Keep up the adventure....I really enjoyed your video. I'm from the prairies and the ocean life and fishing is totally alien to me. One day I'll get down to the coast to do this myself!

Just a 1 day drive away! make a road trip out of it with family or friends.
Thank you for watching!

TreeGuy
03-24-2020, 01:00 AM
Cool vid! My first experience with crabs was entirely different. [emoji15]

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBark
03-24-2020, 01:24 AM
Good video,
We set crab traps in Sooke harbour 7-8 years back.
It was the last season that Silver Streak rented boats.
We did well, and even in Pedder bay using their rentals.
We just kept 40-50m distanced from other trap buoys.

TBark

58thecat
03-24-2020, 07:39 AM
my first crabbing experience was in Amsterdam :rolleye2:

MyAlberta
03-24-2020, 08:38 AM

Wife and daughter are already there. I’m doing those last few things before listing house here in Calgary, then it’s off to retirement. Looking forward to reuniting with old friends, and hiking hard.

liar
03-24-2020, 12:57 PM
my first crabbing experience was in Amsterdam :rolleye2:

any keepers ?

EZM
03-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Enjoyed the video. Subscribed.

I am in Isolation (having come back from California a week and a half ago) …….. so helps to pass the time ……. only can do so much "work" from home before the mind wanders.

HuyFishin
03-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Enjoyed the video. Subscribed.

I am in Isolation (having come back from California a week and a half ago) …….. so helps to pass the time ……. only can do so much "work" from home before the mind wanders.

wow self isolation has blessed me with a subscriber! Thank you so much EZM

It means alot.

Red Bullets
03-24-2020, 02:29 PM
I see you might be slowed down a bit on the island HuyFishin.

As of today, the following parks along the Highway 14 corridor between Sooke and Port Renfrew are CLOSED as further measures are enacted to help stop the spread of COVID-19:

🔹Juan de Fuca Provincial Park including
🔹China Beach
🔹Sombrio Beach
🔹Botanical Beach (in Port Renfrew)
🔹French Beach Provincial Park
🔹Jordan River
🔹Whiffin Spit Park
🔹Ed McGregor Park
🔹Marine Board Walk