PDA

View Full Version : Southern ice fishing tour

bowness
03-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Was contemplating a ice fishing tour starting in Calgary taking a 5-6 days. Many lakes closed now so wondering if anyone has suggestions of some lakes to hit. Was hoping to head East and South but maybe I should be considering NW of Calgary for trout fisheries?

I know, do your own research...Just throwing it out there. PM if you want :)

slamilton
03-21-2020, 07:46 AM
I would head out to the Kananskis area- Spray (lakers), Upper and Lower Kananaskis (bull, cutty, rainbow) to start. There is also a pond that has arctic greyling (cant remember name but maybe wedge). Those would keep you busy for a few days.

bowness
03-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Yeah I fish Spray often but not this year. Usually ice a few small guys. Had no luck on Kananaskis but have not put in lots of effort.
Was thinking about just heading down to Pine (I know nothing about what is really going on in the reservoir since Trout were stocked) then the easy Chain lakes scene.

bowness
03-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Yeah I fish Spray often but not this year. Usually ice a few small guys. Had no luck on Kananaskis but have not put in lots of effort.
Was thinking about just heading down to Pine (I know nothing about what is really going on in the reservoir since Trout were stocked) then the easy Chain lakes scene.

slamilton
03-22-2020, 07:30 AM
From what I understand Pine is an absolute waste of time these days and the same for Chain. I tried Chain once this year and not even a nibble all day and that is what everyone else was saying. Ifish reports the same as well. If you want to go a little farther you might try Beaver Mines. Good luck!

TROLLER
03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
All day at Pine, one small walleye which was sent back. Min. 20 holes drilled not one showed up on TV or sonar.

Dead to me won't be going back. Should have learned my lesson from last ice season.