PDA

View Full Version : Using generator to power house

reddeerguy2015
03-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Hey guys,

With all this free time I've had on my hands the last little while, the thought crossed my mind on how I could setup my generator to power the house when the power goes out ?? Acreage use.

Mainly concerned about the furnace and fridge/freezer. Would use my Honda 3000w inverter.

Ideally would like some type of cord or "switch" setup. Ideally in the future we'll likely run a generac setup, but that's out of the budget at this point in time so just looking into the alternative.

Before I get the lecture of doing this myself and feeding power back down the line and killing the linemen - that's not my intent. Just want to know how much it would cost me to get a certified electrician to rig something up. Cheers

fishtank
03-20-2020, 03:47 PM
just run a long extention cord, and plug it in .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISgt-8xDKA

Au revoir, Gopher
03-20-2020, 03:52 PM
You would want something like this (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/siemens-6-12-circuit-30a-120-240v-generator-panel/1000161600?rec=true). The sub panel is fed from your main panel when power it there. Power goes out, you flip the switch, plug in the generator and fire it up.

ARG

WayneChristie
03-20-2020, 04:23 PM
is GenerLink approved in Alberta?

zabbo
03-20-2020, 04:49 PM
just run a long extention cord, and plug it in .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISgt-8xDKA

This works great for the fridge and deep freeze. There is a disconnect switch somewhere, probably above your furnace. It really isn't that hard to open it up, disconnect the grid power and connect your generator to the furnace. Once again basically an extension cord. Not a real pretty thing, but it will get you through an extended power outage. Only use this for the furnace if you have some knowledge of electricity. :)

bessiedog
03-20-2020, 05:24 PM
CAUTION!!

If you use a reg generator...... I’ve been told that they deliver non-clean power that will short the circuit boards in your furnace.... then your hooped.

I’m not sure if inverters deliver a clean sign wave......

Need an electrician to chime in here....

I do exactly wht this YouTube does.... and it works with a Champion 4500W Genny

And I gots power for a couple o appliances as well. BUT.... my furnace is an old FlameMaster with a primitive thermostat and a blower that’s simply a 5.5amp motor

No clean power required. He hee.

And the heat exchanger clamshell thingies are still in great shape thank Zeus!!

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 05:25 PM
Your electronics on furnace or other sensitive equipment should be fine with inverter type generator.

David Henry
03-20-2020, 05:44 PM
If you are on an rural property one of your main concerns might be your well. I'm no electrician but the Honda 3000 will not have sufficient output to pull the water you require. D.H.

ghfalls
03-20-2020, 05:45 PM
For the electricians, could a guy just run an extension cord that has two female ends on it and plug it into the service plug at the panel after you’ve turned off the main breaker? Or is that too simple?

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 05:54 PM
For the electricians, could a guy just run an extension cord that has two female ends on it and plug it into the service plug at the panel after you’ve turned off the main breaker? Or is that too simple?

Two male ends, yes you can back feed the panel (one leg of it), make sure and turn your Main off so you aren't backfeeding grid.

highland
03-20-2020, 06:03 PM
I made an extension cord with 2 male ends on it. Plug it into the outside plug on the porch and it powers the house and also feeds the duplex overhead wires back to my garage to power the well. Just ensure you disconnect at the transformer pole and make sure all of your necessary circuits are on the same leg. This is all powered with a Honda 3000.

CNP
03-20-2020, 06:16 PM
7.5KW Generac home back-up natural gas generator. Permanently mounted/installed. Never worry about fuel.

https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

fordtruckin
03-20-2020, 06:54 PM
7.5KW Generac home back-up natural gas generator. Permanently mounted/installed. Never worry about fuel.

https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

That is my plan when I build a house! Back up with an automatic switch running the essentials during power outages. For an off the grid cabin I would try the electric cord into a fuse box method.

Opalsasquatch
03-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Two male ends, yes you can back feed the panel (one leg of it), make sure and turn your Main off so you aren't backfeeding grid.

Yes, it works

Please don’t do this.

I am a power lineman that has been on the other end of this when someone forgets to switch the main breaker.

If we miss a step, and you miss a step, someone dies.

We have enough problems right now

elkhunter11
03-20-2020, 07:40 PM

What method do you use to verify that the main breaker
contacts are actually open?

Opalsasquatch
03-20-2020, 07:42 PM

From what I’ve seen, most guys wait to see if the breaker on the genny trips before they realize they’re trying to power up the neighborhood

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 07:46 PM
Yes, it works

Please don’t do this.

I am a power lineman that has been on the other end of this when someone forgets to switch the main breaker.

I didn't recommend it. I just said it works. I agree with you.

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Well, if I was going to do that, and I don't recommend it, after flipping main I would use my Fluke multimeter to test current/continuity on main lugs. If I were to do that. Which I'm not recommending.

elkhunter11
03-20-2020, 07:52 PM
From what I’ve seen, most guys wait to see if the breaker on the genny trips before they realize they’re trying to power up the neighborhood

Exactly, most people that would try this, don't even test to see if the breaker is actually open, before energizing. They are assuming that flipping the switch always opens the contacts, which normally happens, but not always.

Opalsasquatch
03-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Exactly, most people don't test to see if the breaker is actually open, before energizing. They are assuming that flipping the switch always opens the contacts, which normally happens, but not always.

I’ve seen plenty of farm breakers welded closed

As they say, ‘the rules are written in blood’

If you want to run a generator, have a transfer switch installed, or plug appliances in separately.

I’m not a safety codes nazi, but, there really is more on the line then you think...

Twisted Canuck
03-20-2020, 08:05 PM

If you want to run a generator, have a transfer switch installed, or plug appliances in separately.

I’m not a safety codes nazi, but, there really is more on the line then you think...

I agree 100%. It's far easier and infinitely safer to run extension cords. The problem is when people try and figure out how to run their furnace off an extension cord.... And watch YouTube to figure it out.

Dick284
03-20-2020, 08:07 PM

I too spent my fair share of time on the line, and worked with a guy who took a poke through his shoulder and out his opposite hand, when somebody did the old double ended cord trick.

Dont be that guy, install a transfer switch or just run an extension cord.

There’s nothing quite as scary as being on storm trouble or a transformer replacement on a cold clear night, and hearing somebody fire up the good old genny.

elkhunter11
03-20-2020, 08:08 PM

I have seen contacts welded myself, which is why I mention this. And yes, most codes exist, because of someone being hurt or killed.

kmacisaac
03-20-2020, 08:10 PM

100% this!
Some of the hillbilly hookups mentioned above are just a disaster waiting to happen. A kid, the wife, neighbor unplug the male end from the outlet outside the house but don't realize the power is coming from the generator.....hot coming at ya via your suicide cord. I've come close to having it happen to myself thanks to one of these done this way. Even worse is the potential to energize the service back into the line. If the power is out, guaranteed there is someone working on it downstream who doesn't need your generator backfeeding 13000 volts at them. Install a transfer switch if you want a backup generator setup.

Ennyindabenny
03-21-2020, 10:36 PM
What about a double throw safety switch. Then there's no way the utility power and secondary power can be on at the same time, and you can power your entire existing panel. The Eaton switch is rated for service entrance applications.

Dick284
03-22-2020, 06:52 AM
What about a double throw safety switch. Then there's no way the utility power and secondary power can be on at the same time, and you can power your entire existing panel. The Eaton switch is rated for service entrance applications.

Aka
A transfer switch.

hogie
03-22-2020, 08:05 AM
is GenerLink approved in Alberta?

It will depend on your service provider from what I understand. Fortis will allow but must be made aware of install. Good option.

I went with a transfer switch for my house. 50 amp with 10 breakers. More than enough for basic comfort. Using a champion 11000 watt generator from Costco . Had my electrician check it for how clean the power was coming out of it. He said nothing to worry about for electronics.

-JR-
03-22-2020, 10:18 AM

Done this many times ,we call them killer cords !
All ways plug into the house first then start unit then plug into generator.

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:27 AM
don't stick things into things that you don't have a clue about...might get a std as in a short term disability....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

kerthump
03-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Yes, it works

Please don’t do this.

.... after the September snow storm that knocked out power in Calgary several years ago. A bit expensive, but allows safe connection of my Honda inverter generator.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Instead of bandaid fixing, why not do it right with a Generac or Honeywell, you can get them at costco. Hooks into nat gas, 5 seconds after the power goes out the generator fires up and switches the power for you. Mine is a 17kw Generac, cost $3000 and $500 to install.

bessiedog
03-22-2020, 11:55 AM
I wish I had that kinda $ floating around Ken.

Best I could scrape together for mine was $180 and some good negotiating skills.
(30 years of training on the wife...) ;)

Oh... an $40 for 2 of them heavy gauge xtension cords...

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 11:59 AM
I wish I had that kinda $ floating around Ken.

Best I could scrape together for mine was $180 and some good negotiating skills.
(30 years of training on the wife...) ;)

Oh... an $40 for 2 of them heavy gauge xtension cords...

I didn't either, but I am married. Sometimes you gotta take the hit.

jbrit
03-22-2020, 12:18 PM
I've installed this in my last 2 properties.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reliance-Controls-6-Circuit-Generator-Generators/dp/B000BQN4T2/

Only does up to 6 circuits so you need to be selective. No chance of back feeding the hydro line.

CNP
03-22-2020, 01:14 PM
Instead of bandaid fixing, why not do it right with a Generac or Honeywell, you can get them at costco. Hooks into nat gas, 5 seconds after the power goes out the generator fires up and switches the power for you. Mine is a 17kw Generac, cost $3000 and $500 to install.

I'm shopping. What you have is not achievable at that price point Ken.

NCC
03-22-2020, 09:16 PM
For about $100 you can buy a natural gas conversion kit that will fit almost any gasoline power generator. It won’t have the auto start function but for a budget emergency back up, they’re a cheap option.