PDA

View Full Version : If you could turn back time- what year do ya pick

Smokinyotes
03-20-2020, 08:12 PM
With all the crap going on in the world it got me thinking of simpler times when life was easy and a bunch more fun.

If you could turn back time what year would you pick and why..

Myself, 1981 brings back some pretty good memories. I was 16 years old and had just got my drivers license 3 days after my birthday. I had $2500 and Dad lent me $4000 and I bought my first pickup. A 1979 GMC half ton short box 350 4bbl 4 speed with 60,000km on it. It was a a gorgeous little truck and a real chick magnet.

All that really mattered back then was clean Levi jeans, a white T shirt and a $20 bill in my pocket.

glen moa
03-20-2020, 08:24 PM
I’d pick 2000.
2001 seems like the start of the bad.

trigger7mm
03-20-2020, 08:29 PM
For me...probably 1975. I was 14 years old. Grandpa picked me up from school every Friday afternoon in the fall, and we were off duck hunting. In the summer we were always at the cabin at Spring Lake, catching 4 -5 lb. rainbows from my old wooden rowboat. Winters were spent snowmobiling and ice fishing. Was a great time to be a kid.

Bigwoodsman
03-20-2020, 08:38 PM
1974 12 years old first moose hunting trip. I’d been on day trips before but this year we went on a two week trip in mid December. Our ATV was a wheel barrow.
I’ll never forget that.

BW

Mr Flyguy
03-20-2020, 08:57 PM
1954 Dad was posted to Antwerp. I was 12 years old in an old world adventure.

bat119
03-20-2020, 09:26 PM
The Beatles' last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records,
First Concorde test flight is conducted In France,
Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut,
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am the epitome of the American muscle car is introduced, Woodstock attracts more than 350,000 rock-n-roll fans,
The first man is landed on the moon on the Apollo 11 mission by the United States and Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon.

I was too young or all the fun

straight
03-20-2020, 09:58 PM
I met my wife.

MyAlberta
03-20-2020, 09:59 PM
1985 My father suggested that him and I go on a safari to Africa. I was too busy.

Miss you dad.

KC1
03-20-2020, 10:04 PM
1980s the decade
First car
First gf
Bought first farm
Couple more firsts
Great decade

Hunter65
03-20-2020, 10:05 PM
1898 so I could participate in the Yukon Gold Rush.

huntsfurfish
03-20-2020, 10:38 PM
1972 turned 18. Good times back then.:)

Wouldnt be bad 5 or 6 years before that too.

fordtruckin
03-20-2020, 10:50 PM

Yah I was thinking that far back as well. Perhaps end of the civil war in the reconstruction era. 1873 the colt SAA and colt 45. West ward expansion to prairies with nobody out here. Sounds good to me...

1 eye
03-21-2020, 04:56 AM

Tony_S
03-21-2020, 05:39 AM
Biggest concerns in the world were If I had my bike, pocket knife, a pocket full of string to snare gophers with and enough caps to last the day....
Rocks were important, but considered consumables...easily replaced.

Girls were gross...

Jigsalot
03-21-2020, 05:50 AM
That was the best. Going to college in Nelson with all the parties. The outdoors in that area are awesome and we did lots of camping hiking and fishing. Great times and the 80’s music is the best

landowner
03-21-2020, 06:12 AM
1978 , final year of college, party on .....

pikeman06
03-21-2020, 06:58 AM
1986. Still lotsa big perches left, cheap gas, fast cars, big hair and acid washed pinstripe jeans on the girls and the year when I figured how much fun those girls were.

HalfBreed
03-21-2020, 07:14 AM
2019, so I could buy some TP.:bad_boys_20:

Phil McCracken
03-21-2020, 08:18 AM
1997...so I could buy Amazon stocks for around $1.50ish US !:angry3:

360hunt
03-21-2020, 08:26 AM
1992. My first hunting trip with my dad and uncles. It was when I realized how lucky I was to have these guys around.
And what a great bunch of guys I had as influences.

Walleye Willy
03-21-2020, 08:46 AM
1976 Was quite a year for me. Got my 2nd class Power Engineering, Built my first house,I quit smoking and my first son was born. Some of the most stressful but rewarding things you can do. Aso I was in the best shape of my life.
p.s. my son was 6 weeks premature cesarian section and my wife had a heart condition.

HuyFishin
03-21-2020, 09:05 AM
I would turn back time as far as I need to go in order to shut down Wuhans Wet Markets.

haha

Ken07AOVette
03-21-2020, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't go back to see dead relatives because I would have to watch their deaths again.

Other than that there are several things I would change but the suffering would be in the timeline.

Tough call

bagwan
03-21-2020, 10:08 AM
I would hope the fountain of youth goes along with that as i can't possibly keep up with what I did 60 yrs ago at 18. Brings back a few memories of what it was like in those carefree days. I was probably throwing base balls at Ken's relatives.

Zip
03-21-2020, 10:29 AM
I’d drop into 1976 as that was the first time I moved to Inuvik with my as it turned out my ex wife.. I was just one year out of high school, and Inuvik was the place to be for a young man with big eyes.. it was a rough place to live back then, but oh so simple of a life.. work, party, pass out, work again, party some more, fights in the bar every single night.. bouncers were very busy, and going to the McKenzie Hotel alone.. well that was not the best thing to do, fight night all over again.. made a bunch of friends, did all the things a 20 something year old wanted to do.. no real world problems then, except waiting for the pay check to come in.. so a guy could do all those other fun things... there will be a lot of stories in my book about my time in the north.. spoiler alert.. I left and went back a few years later.. same chit still was happening, but my cousin and I turned out to be the bouncers in the bar instead of just partaking in the fights.. we had the fun of throwing people down the front steps into the parking lot.. couldn’t walk home alone if you were the bouncer.. but I’m getting ahead of myself.. it will all be in my book I’m writing... tons of fun stories.. at least it seemed like fun!

Zip:):)

huntinstuff
03-21-2020, 10:47 AM
October 2018

I would have stayed on the phone 5 minutes longer...

barbless
03-21-2020, 11:00 AM
I'm an Adult Now

The Pursuit of Happiness

Well, I don't hate my parents
I don't get drunk just to spite them
I've got my own reasons to drink now
I think I'll call my dad up and invite him

I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
Though there's not many days that I do
Gotta get up and take on that world
When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth

'Cause I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now
I've got the problems of an adult
On my head and on my shoulders
I'm an adult now

I can't even look at young girls anymore
People will think I'm some kind of pervert
Adult sex is either boring or dirty
Young people they can get away with murder

I don't write songs about girls anymore
I have to write songs about women
No more boy meets girl boy loses girl
More like man tries to understand what the hell went wrong

'Cause I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now

I can't take any more illicit drugs
I can't afford any artificial joy
I'd sure look like a fool dead in a ditch somewhere
With a mind full of chemicals
Like some cheese-eating high school boy

'Cause I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now
I'm an adult now

Sometimes my head hurts and sometimes my stomach hurts
And I guess it won't be long
For I'm sitting in a room with a bunch
Of people whose necks and backs are aching
Whose sight and hearing's fading
Who just can't seem to get it up
Speaking of hearing, I can't take too much loud music

I mean I like to play it, but I sure don't like the racket
Noise, but I can't hear anything
Just guitars screaming, screaming, screaming
Some guy screaming in a leather jacket
Woah! I'm an adult now.

Yes I shortened some lyrics. Seems like that's what happened for lot's. HA HA
Guess mine would be any time from 1955 (born) to 1976 (adult) cause the adult age was 21. Any year between is good but I don't remember too much of the first 5 years. LOL

Deezel
03-21-2020, 11:23 AM
1950. I wasn't born for another 18 years but my dad always talked about how much fun he had in the 50's so I'd like for him to relive that.

220 Swift
03-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Grade 7. Still young for innocence but old enough not to be a kid. Sports were good video games were beyond pong but not brain surgery , hunting and fishing was normal and people were not self entitled , spoiled or weird.

Smokinyotes
03-21-2020, 04:48 PM
I’d drop into 1976 as that was the first time I moved to Inuvik with my as it turned out my ex wife.. I was just one year out of high school, and Inuvik was the place to be for a young man with big eyes.. it was a rough place to live back then, but oh so simple of a life.. work, party, pass out, work again, party some more, fights in the bar every single night.. bouncers were very busy, and going to the McKenzie Hotel alone.. well that was not the best thing to do, fight night all over again.. made a bunch of friends, did all the things a 20 something year old wanted to do.. no real world problems then, except waiting for the pay check to come in.. so a guy could do all those other fun things... there will be a lot of stories in my book about my time in the north.. spoiler alert.. I left and went back a few years later.. same chit still was happening, but my cousin and I turned out to be the bouncers in the bar instead of just partaking in the fights.. we had the fun of throwing people down the front steps into the parking lot.. couldn’t walk home alone if you were the bouncer.. but I’m getting ahead of myself.. it will all be in my book I’m writing... tons of fun stories.. at least it seemed like fun!

Jeez Zip, didn’t realize you were such a bad azz. Let us know when the book is out. I’m sure several of us would be interested in reading it.

pikergolf
03-21-2020, 06:46 PM
October 2018

I would have stayed on the phone 5 minutes longer...

Must be a story there.

hayseed
03-21-2020, 07:23 PM

And get on a bus with all I owned , and head up to work and guide for Garry and Sandra Vince with Muskwa Safaris.

Best years I have ever had in my life.

trooper
03-22-2020, 09:08 AM
March 18, 1988. I drove past my dad's place instead of stopping in to see him. I was leaving for CFB wainwright for weekend maneuvers. I could have averted his murder.

jstubbs
03-22-2020, 09:37 AM
You know looking back, 2019 was a helluva good year for me. Graduated university, worked a great job, took a helluva trip to China, spent the summer driving down to Calgary on the weekend to stay in my girlfriend's downtown apartment, spent lots of good times with family and friends, everyone was healthy and the world was my oyster.

Maybe 2021 will be a gooder too.

roper1
03-22-2020, 11:26 AM
March 18, 1988. I drove past my dad's place instead of stopping in to see him. I was leaving for CFB wainwright for weekend maneuvers. I could have averted his murder.

32 years ago & the anniversary just passed. Can't imagine your feelings but glad you can talk about it. Sure feel for you at this time. All the best!!

mrcrossbow
03-22-2020, 12:18 PM
1995 to 2000. I was smart enough to know better, but still dumb enough to do it and have fun.

Red Bullets
03-22-2020, 03:18 PM
With the knowledge I have today, The year would be late 1840's and I would be on Antler creek in BC... ten years before the Caribou gold rush. I would be able to pick pounds of gold nuggets right on the surface mixed in the gravels without having to dig deep. One gold pan of gravel would produce from 4 to 12 ounces of gold when it was a virgin gold stream. Even at 16 dollars an ounce 1840's value I would have enough wealth to employ a few good men to traverse the continental divide and do an organized hunt onto the parklands of the now Alberta. Most things would have still been intact naturally but the european influences of the fur trade would provide me enough goods to be satisfied. I'd be using golden balls in my flintlock on the buffalo & bear hunts.

I, of course, would have been 8 ft. tall, had a muscular build, with long blonde hair and steel blue eyes and would have rode a jet black shire stud workhorse. Any warring FN people would be in such awe of my size and horse I would have safe passage anywhere.

The Flint&Fly Guy
03-26-2020, 08:31 AM
2017/18
Would be neat to make a major decision the other way around and see how that would have turned out!

Parker Hale
03-26-2020, 08:37 AM

Hey Hunter65, have you ever read Pierre Burton's book "Klondike". If you haven`t you should. Really illustrates what those oldtimers went through. An excellent read.

Stinky Buffalo
03-26-2020, 08:57 AM
There are times I'd love to go back to the "just married" days - realizing now that all the thousands of extra hours I had worked for free would have been better spent with Incredigirl.

That being said, I don't know if I could go back in time too far - I think I'd make some mistakes that would have made me miss some of the most incredible times of my life.

Sometimes I wish I had been born a decade earlier, say, in the 50's - my Father-in-law has some great stories of those times. Mind you, they were tough for him, too. At any rate, had I been around back then, I'd be dead by now, given some of the medical issues I have had.

raised by wolves
03-26-2020, 09:08 AM
1993, first deployment. A different kind of scary going on but I actually felt like I was able to do some good in the world.

Badgerbadger
03-26-2020, 01:29 PM

That's the year I started dating my 1st ex-wife.....

:bad_boys_20:

Hiwa
03-26-2020, 10:07 PM
I'm an old hippie.:)

TomP
03-26-2020, 10:41 PM
2006/7..I was in grade 7 and my parents lived out their lifelong dream of buying a sailboat and living on it cruising the Pacific Ocean..we spent 1 year sailing from Vancouver down to Mexico..stayed in mazatlan almost 5 months if I remember correctly..then we sailed across to Hawaii. We stayed in Hilo for 2 months I think and then set sail for home. Ended up in uculet and eventually home...just me, my brother and my parents on quite the adventure...didn’t know at the time what I had really just experienced...nostalgic thread forsure.

threeforthree
03-26-2020, 10:49 PM
There has been so many great years, lots of lows but I try to remember the highs. going to pic 2000 when I had my first dog, a true reflection of what a pet can do to your soul.

JD848
03-26-2020, 11:08 PM
There has been so many great years, lots of lows but I try to remember the highs. going to pic 2000 when I had my first dog, a true reflection of what a pet can do to your soul.

My mother in law passed away in 2000 from fighting cancer,never seen my wife so down and lost within.

So I thought about getting her a dog, found what I wanted and within 3 weeks the woman I loved was back on track. That's when I also realized how powerful a dog can be for the soul.

JD

Y2K
03-27-2020, 04:46 AM
Pretty much any time before fall of 2015 federal election

dodger
03-27-2020, 05:07 AM
1976, girlfriends brothers were members of local "bike club". Went with them on a month long trip from Calgary through California, back up to Vancouver. Extreme craziness would be classified as the calmer days. Just makes me smile typing this :)

Dodger.

dodger
03-27-2020, 05:11 AM

Wife grew up in Tuk/Inuvik through 1974/80. She mentions some wild stories being there during this time period ;)

Dodger.

Homesteader
03-27-2020, 09:14 AM
With all the crap going on in the world it got me thinking of simpler times when life was easy and a bunch more fun.

If you could turn back time what year would you pick and why..

Myself, 1981 brings back some pretty good memories. I was 16 years old and had just got my drivers license 3 days after my birthday. I had $2500 and Dad lent me $4000 and I bought my first pickup. A 1979 GMC half ton short box 350 4bbl 4 speed with 60,000km on it. It was a a gorgeous little truck and a real chick magnet.

All that really mattered back then was clean Levi jeans, a white T shirt and a $20 bill in my pocket.

That was sweet little truck for sure!!

When you get that time machine set up give me a call!!!!

caged
03-28-2020, 02:12 AM