PDA

View Full Version : Income tax return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badbrass
03-21-2020, 08:29 AM
Boy was that quick! Prob not so busy there! Sent it online on Monday and was in the bank on Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout: NICE!

elkhunter11
03-21-2020, 08:53 AM
Mine was quick too, but I had to pay the bloodsuckers a bit.:)

sns2
03-21-2020, 08:58 AM
Boy was that quick! Prob not so busy there! Sent it online on Monday and was in the bank on Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout: NICE!

If you are not at work, go get drunk. It certainly won't hurt:)

badbrass
03-21-2020, 09:03 AM
If you are not at work, go get drunk. It certainly won't hurt:)

No work for me! Retired for 2 years! Might get that drink now! :):snapoutofit:

Twisted Canuck
03-21-2020, 09:59 AM
I also filed on Monday, but get to wait for a check as I don't do direct deposit....hopefully it will be here end of next week. Will pay my property tax with it and still have a good chunk of MY Money left over. It's not a gift, it's just finally getting back all the extra they hack off me every year.

badbrass
03-21-2020, 10:10 AM
It's not a gift, it's just finally getting back all the extra they hack off me every year.

Exactly! No gift at all, I take extra off thought out the year! Most I have got back yet!:)

MoFugger21
03-21-2020, 10:18 AM
It's not a gift, it's just finally getting back all the extra they hack off me every year.

Exactly! No gift at all, I take extra off thought out the year! Most I have got back yet!:)

So you're loaning the government money, interest free. On purpose...?

You're better off keeping the 'extra' and putting it into a savings account

badbrass
03-21-2020, 11:16 AM
To make .5%, and then claim it at the end of the year? Nope! I pay enough taxes already! It's better to receive than pay!

MoFugger21
03-21-2020, 11:25 AM
To make .5%, and then claim it at the end of the year? Nope! I pay enough taxes already! It's better to receive than pay!

The funny thing about earned interest is.... The government doesn't tax it at 100%.

badbrass
03-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Retired! Don't have any payment's! Living the dream! How's it working for you?:)

Flight01
03-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Filed 10 days ago. Still waiting.
Yes they owe me... decent amount
they’re taking their sweet time on mine.

JWCalgary
03-21-2020, 07:12 PM
$65 due for the wife and I this year. I did a good job of minimizing what I give those bloodsuckers bi-weekly.

:)

Sent from my SM-A102W using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple
03-21-2020, 07:16 PM
finally got my last tax slip, so i can now file when i get home.

Doing the online free calcs it looks like im going to owe... again!

Fisherdan
03-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Filed 10 days ago. Still waiting.
Yes they owe me... decent amount
they’re taking their sweet time on mine.

Same here. Filed March 3rd. Nothing yet.

badbrass
03-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Don't know your story! But RRSP"s can help you get money back! I'm sure you know that, I have not paid any extra at the end of the year, income tax in the last 20 years.Live within your budget. And you can do it too! Save for it!finally got my last tax slip, so i can now file when i get home.

Doing the online free calcs it looks like im going to owe... again!

OL_JR
03-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Biggest thing that burns folks is having dual income in a household and both getting taxed at an individual rate. Only way to get around it is to instruct your employer to tax at at a higher rate or save for the inevitable payment.

I filed early and got my return within a couple weeks but have never got it within a few days as the OP has stated. That's crazy quick.

DiabeticKripple
03-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Biggest thing that burns folks is having dual income in a household and both getting taxed at an individual rate. Only way to get around it is to instruct your employer to tax at at a higher rate or save for the inevitable payment.

I filed early and got my return within a couple weeks but have never got it within a few days as the OP has stated. That's crazy quick.

This is my situation. Dual income, no kids. Both getting taxed separately and filing as common law.

MoFugger21
03-22-2020, 12:25 PM

This is my situation. Dual income, no kids. Both getting taxed separately and filing as common law.

DiabeticKripple - not knowing your situation I can't comment on specifics, but... Unless your common-law partner or yourself was making under $12,000(ish) or had tuition credits, medical expenses, donations, etc that could be claimed on your return in prior years, being common-law generally doesn't affect how much of a refund or how much additional tax you owe when you file your tax return. You're still taxed individually. Its' not on household income, like other benefits/credits like the GST credit, Canada Child Benefit, etc.

That said, if you had some taxable benefits from your employer(s) - vehicle usage or travel/lodging benefits - it's possible the tax calculated for those benefits wasn't done correctly in combination with your wages.

However, if you have multiple T4s because you worked for multiple employers (which I assume OL_JR was referring to), individuals can get caught because each employer is only deducting enough tax for the income earned from them. Not the total income you earned during the year.

Example - you have two T4s in 2019, both for $50,000 salary for 12 months, both employers would deduct $2,371.50 for CPP, $810 for EI and $7,904.16 for tax. But when you go to file your tax return, you would still owe $4,736.74 (based on no additional tax credits)...

Why? Because the tax withheld by both employers is based on making only $50,000 during the year, not $100,000, and is based on one basic personal exemption, not two - which is what is happening when working at multiple employers. This can is rectified by correctly filling out the TD1 forms to show you're not entitled to the basic personal exemption for one of the employers, OR that you're requesting an additional $400 in total in tax be withheld from your employers.

This happens A LOT for expecting/new mothers, as there is very minimal tax withheld on the EI benefits. And when their employment income is combined with EI benefits, the total tax withheld is very often not enough to cover their taxable income...

For people who work multiple jobs, it usually only takes one big tax bill in April for this to sink in and they'll usually request the next day that additional tax be withheld.

Mountain Guy
03-22-2020, 06:19 PM
Wifey and me got our return quick...feds tossing out cash freely these days i guess. Were gonna be hurtin fer a long time after this settles out.