PDA

View Full Version : Cabin flooring.

jbrit
03-21-2020, 10:41 AM
We bought a cabin last year, had not been lived in for a few years and existing laminate flooring as come apart at the seams so we are looking to replace.

Have looked at vinyl plank but have not been able to find anything with a 'rustic' look, it would also need to survive winters with no heat other than the weekends that we visit.

Looking for ideas....

Any ideas?

Twisted Canuck
03-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Nothing says style like a good deep pile, purple shag carpet. Impervious to weather....

Your wife is gonna love it. :)

Or, if that doesn't sound good, these folks make a good product. There are other similar out there. Best to go to a flooring place and talk to a pro.

https://newageproducts.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl-plank/

Dean2
03-21-2020, 12:13 PM
No heat in Winter means you want to use wood planking for the floor. Even poplar will stand up well as long as it isn't touching dirt and is dry. Pine or spruce planks are another choice depending on what kind of trees you have around. Anything that is man made is going to deteriorate rapidly.

RBI
03-21-2020, 12:16 PM
We have a cabin a little East of Sundre
It gets a full shut down for the winter , and as such ... endures freezr/thaw cycles .
New flooring was on the list for several years , but I couldn't find anything ( laminate wise ) that was guaranteed/waranty to handle those conditions .

Then all of a sudden it seemed , this new product hit the market all over the place.
Listed as Luxury Vynil Planks ( SPC ) and ( WPC ? )

The SPC is what you want .

The stuff we used is good from 50 above to 50 below C.
Totally waterproof and no expansion gapping required . ( stone core )

We installed it last May , and so far , very happy.
A few winter checks out there in the cold and at this time all looks good .

We will be opening in early May , and will certainly be having a very thorough look at it then .

I'll have to look up the actual name of the product , and post back .

Bob

alpineguy
03-21-2020, 12:22 PM
I had 3 cabins over the years and my favorite flooring would definitely be a very low pile industrial carpet. Warmer on your feet in the winter and not effected by extreme temperatures. You can sweep it and clean it very easy.....also with stands wear extremely well.

zims23
03-21-2020, 12:35 PM
I used a 3/4 engineered hardwood floor. I chose a rustic oak. It has been through 4 winters with no heat and still looks perfect. Happy with the choice.

220 Swift
03-21-2020, 01:18 PM
Buy once cry once, well only kind of as you want it rustic so its actually cheap and durable surfacing.

Guessing you have cold weather requirements. If not think on it Anyways as spring months make this more enjoyable.

What ever is down for wood , tear up any surfacing

Consider laying 2x4s on the side with blue styrofoam in the middle.
Lay regular 2x6 flat, side by side the other way on top.stain to the color u like. Still rustic and insulated. You can roll out an area rug then if needed for a bit more but if you heat and wear inside shoes stick with the wood.

jbrit
03-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'm going to end up with some type Vinyl Plank unless I get a bright idea of something rustic.

HalfBreed
03-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Buy once cry once, well only kind of as you want it rustic so its actually cheap and durable surfacing.

Guessing you have cold weather requirements. If not think on it Anyways as spring months make this more enjoyable.

Lay regular 2x6 flat, side by side the other way on top.stain to the color u like. Still rustic and insulated. You can roll out an area rug then if needed for a bit more but if you heat and wear inside shoes stick with the wood.

I've also seen plywood ripped into planks used as rustic cabin flooring. Looked sharp and provides a solid base to build over if wanted.

cranky
03-22-2020, 09:34 AM
I've also seen plywood ripped into planks used as rustic cabin flooring. Looked sharp and provides a solid base to build over if wanted.

^^^This^^^ And it does look great.

Big Grey Wolf
03-22-2020, 10:39 AM
We have laminate planking in our trapping cabins. No heat no problems, I bought cheapest laminate for my cabin works great.

Mistagin
03-22-2020, 10:46 AM

This works well, and just a couple of bucks a sq ft. If you do this it is best to finish the underside with a good finish as well. Spruce takes on a nice 'honey' colour.
Oh, and some bear hide, deer hide, elk hide or whatever critter hide rugs finishes it off very nicely :)

Dean2
03-22-2020, 11:23 AM

You and I think the same. hard to beat 2x6 planks for low cost, durable and nice rustic look. That and they will never wear out.

Okotok
03-22-2020, 11:35 AM
^^^This^^^ And it does look great.

I've seen similar but with grooves routed into the plywood to make it look like planks. Cool looking floor.

jbrit
03-22-2020, 11:40 AM

This is my kind of rustic. I wonder how it would hold up in a kitchen or bathroom area.

Time for research.

Okotok
03-22-2020, 02:04 PM
This is my kind of rustic. I wonder how it would hold up in a kitchen or bathroom area.

Time for research.

Found this old show. Remember Mag Ruffman? She was pretty good. https://toolgirl.typepad.com/toolgirl/2007/08/plank-flooring-.html

Kurt505
03-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Cheap and durable, osb with a healthy dose of lacquer.

liar
03-22-2020, 03:57 PM
i've seen this done in a home and it looked good but i dont know how it would stand up to sand , boots , etc . you know , cabin stuff .

TBark
03-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Bought a Norwood MN26 mill, and a DeWalt DW735 planer.
Plans are to finish my cabin floor (East of Valleyview) with local timber.
Hoping for poplar 1” rough cuts, and widths of 6” & 8”.
8-900 sq ft will be required.

TBark

Big Grey Wolf
03-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Tbark, you might consider using birch rather than aspen/poplar. Poplar although considered a hardwood tree is quite soft. Birch and maple always considered better woods for long rough wear on floors.
You need to dry well, down below 10% moisture, usually takes a drying kiln.

Bigrib
03-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Birch is good . Local too

Ronji
03-23-2020, 02:40 PM

Dad called this Genuine Ukrainian Hardwood.

EZM
03-23-2020, 04:48 PM
We used pretty run of the mill laminate plank. 20 years plus and there's been no issues - and it sits most of the year empty …….. I figure pick what you like, and as long as there are no moisture issues, it will all last.

TBark
03-23-2020, 07:40 PM
Good tip, birch, thanks.
Not as plentiful as poplar on our land but we border crown.

TBark

Grizzly Adams
03-23-2020, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'm going to end up with some type Vinyl Plank unless I get a bright idea of something rustic.

I found some nice rusticky looking vinyl planking at Home Depot for my kitchen. Stuff lays like laminate but is easy to maintain and waterproof.

Grizz

Bigrib
03-24-2020, 12:20 AM
Freeze thaw cycles should not affect laminated flooring any more than solid wood since it is made inside heated factory .

Was the original floor laid on the approved underpayment with correct spacing around the perimeter ? It could be an easy fix rather than putting down a new floor.

Also curious as to what a “rustic “ cabin means to some people these days . I thought it meant off grid , wood heat and running water very likely means you are hauling it by hand or hand pump.