PDA

View Full Version : Lost meat

Muller
03-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Here is my situation,
I killed a nice 5x5 mature w/t buck in October.
I left it with my local butcher after field dressing and skinning.
When I tried to collect it, he was evasive saying he was busy and for me to be patient.
Finally, when I ran out of patience and demand my meat, he says, you must have picked it up already, it’s not here!

Question,
1; Has any of you been in this situation and resolved it, and how?
2; Have any of you went the small claims route, and to what success?

elkslayer132
03-21-2020, 04:45 PM
Call Fish and wildlife and report it.

1shotwade
03-21-2020, 05:31 PM
We went threw this with a whole cow elk!! Nothing was done from F&W . It was an absolute nightmare.

IR_mike
03-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Name the butcher.

Ranets
03-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Name the butcher.

X2

possum
03-21-2020, 05:34 PM
I'd say you're beat. Tell him that it tested positive for CWD

icehunter
03-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Tell him that since " I must have picked it up" to produce a invoice with proof of payment from me. After all, if you picked it up you would have paid for it.

1shotwade
03-21-2020, 05:53 PM
The one that this happened to with us has since changed hands and I wont slam the name as I cannot say how there business is run. :(

urcayuse
03-21-2020, 06:17 PM
You shot a buck in October and are just picking it up in March?

vcmm
03-21-2020, 06:23 PM

This^^^^ Tell them F&W and Alberta Agriculture want the meat and names of anyone that has consumed it. Bluff them. You have nothing to lose.

Ken07AOVette
03-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Tell him you are going to report him to the Rcmp for theft and fraud if he doesn't come up with equivalent value of tags, days off work, $/lb for the loss.

If that doesnt work do it.

If that doesn't work sue him.

Cement Bench
03-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Tell him you are going to report him to the Rcmp for theft and fraud if he doesn't come up with equivalent value of tags, days off work, $/lb for the loss.

not sure you can do that, perhaps it is extortion
or is that only if he also demands money?
not sure just asking and being careful

am aware of what can be said in private to get your bill paid or product back

1shotwade
03-21-2020, 07:09 PM

We went down this road and it went nowhere, this was 3 years ago.

Penner
03-21-2020, 07:16 PM

This^^^^ Tell them F&W and Alberta Agriculture want the meat and names of anyone that has consumed it. Bluff them. You have nothing to lose.

^^^ Couple pieces of bad advice right there. Incase the both of you have been under a rock as of late infectious disease is no joke.

1shotwade
03-21-2020, 07:22 PM
^^^ Couple pieces of bad advice right there. Incase the both of you have been under a rock as of late infectious disease is no joke.

Just saying if you pull that card you better have the proof to back it up or now you become the one behind the 8 ball!!

fordtruckin
03-22-2020, 12:23 AM

This! Since the animal was legally harvested what is F&W going to do? You dropped it off at a meat processed and entered a contract of sorts to have it processed etc... it would be a theft issue not a F&W issue.

calgarychef
03-22-2020, 09:16 AM
If you have your original receipt that shows you dropped it off and he can’t produce a receipt that you picked it up it must be “somewhere.” I’d say that since venison sells for around $70.00/Kg. he owed you around $2000.00 either cash or in product.

graybeard
03-22-2020, 09:19 AM

If that doesn't work do it.

X 2.....we are on the same page...again...!

gramps73
03-22-2020, 09:27 AM
I would think that this happens more often that we ever know.
not all but some skim off the top of almost every animal processed. you will never know

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 09:37 AM
not sure you can do that, perhaps it is extortion
or is that only if he also demands money?
not sure just asking and being careful

am aware of what can be said in private to get your bill paid or product back

There are no threats of bodily damage or coercion in this, rather a statement of fact and an opportunity for the offending party to reimburse before litigation or criminal activity investigation. There is no assumption, the animal was delivered and now is gone.

In Canada if someone writes you an NSF cheque you take it to the RCMP. If you call the person and say 'you have x time to make good' you have extended credit and it is no longer considered criminal offense.

This is not that.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
We went down this road and it went nowhere, this was 3 years ago.

RCMP or Court?

1shotwade
03-22-2020, 09:54 AM
RCMP or Court?
F&W first then rcmp . Nothing was done as no money changed hands. The butcher signed the statement saying It was to shot up to butcher. It was all lies.

-JR-
03-22-2020, 09:55 AM
Why have we not heard who the butcher is ....fake news !

Why not go back to the store ,order some nice steaks and say we are even and walk out .

vcmm
03-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Yup. It's a really big rock. I'll try to start to learn about infectious disease's in meat.:thinking-006:

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:01 AM
Why have we not heard who the butcher is ....fake news !

Why not go back to the store ,order some nice steaks and say we are even and walk out .

Chances are the butcher is on this forum, so the OP is being smart not leaving himself open to libel.

It would be stupid to do that while looking at alternative ways to be reimbursed.

I would think he would tell you if you asked in PM, although the 'fake news' line may end in him telling you to pound sand.

-JR-
03-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Chances are the butcher is on this forum, so the OP is being smart not leaving himself open to libel.

It would be stupid to do that while looking at alternative ways to be reimbursed.

I would think he would tell you if you asked in PM, although the 'fake news' line may end in him telling you to pound sand.

No he paid for the steaks ,butcher just can't remember

PS
Who is the butcher?

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:16 AM
IF it was me-

I would get on IE, google Alberta Provincial Court Civil Forms,
download Statement of Claim and dispute note, Affidavit of Service (commencement),

have a Corporate Registry Search ($26) done on the offending butcher and print 3 copies,

fill out and file the statement of claim using current beef market prices per LB, I would guess roughly $1000.00,

take the SOC DN and CRS to the local provincial court and pay $100 to file, then take the package to Canada Post, have it mailed Registered Signature required to the address shown on the CRS ($13.50),

check for signature over the next week, once you have confirmation of delivery take it and the Affidavit to the Court house and swear/affirm the service. Take the 2nd copy of the CRS with the printed affidavit.

If there is no dispute note filed within 30 days download the Request for Default Judgement, print it showing costs and allowed statutory interest (4%) on a separate form.

Wait for your Judgement to arrive via fax email or snail mail.

Likely long before this you will be given an offer to settle from the butcher.

If he does not have morals you will get Judgement, which you file in Court of Queen's Bench (no charge) and file an action against him to seize or garnish.

calgarychef
03-22-2020, 10:19 AM
IF it was me-

I would get on IE, google Alberta Provincial Court Civil Forms,
download Statement of Claim and dispute note, Affidavit of Service (commencement),

have a Corporate Registry Search ($26) done on the offending butcher and print 3 copies,

fill out and file the statement of claim using current beef market prices per LB, I would guess roughly $1000.00,

take the SOC DN and CRS to the local provincial court and pay $100 to file, then take the package to Canada Post, have it mailed Registered Signature required to the address shown on the CRS ($13.50),

check for signature over the next week, once you have confirmation of delivery take it and the Affidavit to the Court house and swear/affirm the service. Take the 2nd copy of the CRS with the printed affidavit.

If there is no dispute note filed within 30 days download the Request for Default Judgement, print it showing costs and allowed statutory interest (4%) on a separate form.

Wait for your Judgement to arrive via fax email or snail mail.

Likely long before this you will be given an offer to settle from the butcher.

If he does not have morals you will get Judgement, which you file in Court of Queen's Bench (no charge) and file an action against him to seize or garnish.

Awesome advice. My only bone is it’s not beef it’s venison and worth way more than beef.. he should price it like for like.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Awesome advice. My only bone is it’s not beef it’s venison and worth way more than beef.. he should price it like for like.

My apologies, I am unaware of the price of venison, just said beef as an example

DO NOT NAME THE BUTCHER HERE

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:26 AM
name that butcher so others don't get screwed.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:28 AM
PM sent- do NOT name the butcher just because others are nosy.

'Libel', remember?

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:44 AM
PM sent- do NOT name the butcher just because others are nosy.

'Libel', remember?

not nosey big guy just maybe then pm us who this is....kinda like stopping this virus gotta stop providing it a host....

if what the OP says is true then gotta nip this idiot in the butt.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:51 AM
not nosey big guy just maybe then pm us who this is....kinda like stopping this virus gotta stop providing it a host....

if what the OP says is true then gotta nip this idiot in the butt.

And that's fine, but how about allowing the OP some time to get some payback before giving the offending party something to use against him?

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:59 AM
And that's fine, but how about allowing the OP some time to get some payback before giving the offending party something to use against him?

roger that...as with the original post provided the OP will decide which avenue to pursue after reading the various responses...hope it works out.

Dean2
03-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Listen to Ken, he does this stuff for a living and is really good at it. You just got some expensive help for free. Much of the other free info you got is not worth what you paid for it.

Muller
03-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Many thanks to all who posted.
The butcher and myself have agreed to a resolution.
We all make mistakes, however I expect mistakes to be owned up to and rectified.
I will leave it at that for now and if promises are fulfilled I won’t speak to the matter again.

Stinky Buffalo
03-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear you got it worked out.

-JR-
03-22-2020, 01:07 PM

2x

58thecat
03-22-2020, 03:45 PM

awesome!!!!

so I was at a butchers in the early 90's in moose jaw....gentleman in front of me was in a heated discussion about his wild game meat etc...never really followed the conversation but when I heard glass break and the fella yelled now we are even I turned to see the front window to the store broken....I laughed and walked out with my venison to be dropped off...this shop lasted another 6 months or so....do that today and someone might find it offensive:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dean2
03-22-2020, 04:10 PM
Many thanks to all who posted.
The butcher and myself have agreed to a resolution.
We all make mistakes, however I expect mistakes to be owned up to and rectified.
I will leave it at that for now and if promises are fulfilled I won’t speak to the matter again.

Glad it worked out. Without giving away who it was, what finally convinced him to stand up and take accountability?

58thecat
03-22-2020, 06:31 PM
Glad it worked out. Without giving away who it was, what finally convinced him to stand up and take accountability?

A potential broken front window:sHa_sarcasticlol:

krthegunslinger
03-23-2020, 06:48 AM
A potential broken front window:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glad someone said it. Paybacks are a dish best served icy cold. 😊

dend
03-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Had the same thing happen to me. Butcher gave my elk to another person and offered me 2 other elk that were abandoned at the shop. I went to fish and wild life and they tried to help me. Couldn't pull the person's info off the credit card used so they went and got the RCMP involved. After waiting a year I was told nothing could be done because there was no ill intent on the butchers part. Lost my first elk to that situation. Only thing I can do is no longer use that butcher. Life lesson.