PDA

View Full Version : Camping During CV19...

molly
03-21-2020, 05:29 PM
So, the governments are closing down provincial parks and campgrounds. I belong to a Facebook group called Alberta Camping, and there have been a few rather heated discussions on there regarding camping during the outbreak. I am not sure how many private campgrounds are open, and it sounds like some folks are in them. Some are on private land too. The anti-campers scream to stay home, and the pro-campers suggest it is another way of self-isolating, away from crowds, in the fresh air. I am inclined to side with the latter. Sadly, we do not own a trailer anymore, but I joined to be a vicarious camper. :)

Just curious as to what you camping folks think, and what would you do? Of course, the options may be very slim if the public campgrounds do not open this summer...

thumper
03-21-2020, 05:58 PM
There's full-time RVers in the states that are shutting down all camping/RV parks - private & public. They don't have a conventional 'home' and don't know where or what to do!

HalfBreed
03-21-2020, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking if people shut in as much as possible for the next couple weeks, a better grasp of the situation will dictate recreational activities.

This is why Communism works. Shut it all down to try and get a handle on it.

People wanting to move about right now is going to set others off.

Scott h
03-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Seems that the chances of infecting or being infected while out in a tent or trailer are pretty slim. Practice appropriate social distancing from other camp sites, especially with your children, and you should be 100% safe. It seems like it's pretty much the polar opposite of the more dangerous activities like flying, cruising, shopping malls, etc.

lyallpeder
03-21-2020, 07:57 PM
We booked a site for May long. I think camping is a safe activity, if care is taken especially in the washrooms and shower house. I was in Blackfoot recreational area and they closed all the warm up shacks, cook houses and washrooms, even the pit toilets is the Bush.

I’m not sure if the campgrounds will actually be open but if I don’t book them as I have time off work I know I definitely won’t go. I guess I might lose my registration fee if they close them.

kevinhits
03-21-2020, 08:10 PM
We are booking our group camp same as usual next week...Same as the last 10 years...If we have to cancel it eventually, so be it.....

Walleye Willy
03-21-2020, 08:14 PM
We have a seasonal lot up at Slave Lake - Faust. I haven`t talked to them but I imagine the public washroom and showers will be closed. Other than that there shouldn't be an issue. We'll use the camper facilities. Won't be sharing a beer by the fire pit with friends and neighbors. Things may change by ice-out and we will not be foolish about it. Hoping to be on the lake May long.

Buckhead
03-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Seems that the chances of infecting or being infected while out in a tent or trailer are pretty slim. Practice appropriate social distancing from other camp sites, especially with your children, and you should be 100% safe. It seems like it's pretty much the polar opposite of the more dangerous activities like flying, cruising, shopping malls, etc.

Exactly. I have my trailer in a private campground. The closest I would ever get to neighboring camper(person) would be about 10 m. Seems like a really safe activity to me.

HunterDave
03-21-2020, 08:21 PM
I lease a lot on an annual bases (no overnight camping) at a private trailer resort. I recently received an email from them stating that they weren’t sure what was happening this summer. Unless we are 100% quarantined, I have no reservations whatsoever with spending my time out there. I can be as sociable or anti social as required......not a problem IMO. It’s not like you are stuck in a building breathing the same air as everyone else. I think that shutting it down would have more to do with liability than the threat of spreading the virus.

elk eater
03-21-2020, 08:30 PM
I to feel it could be done in a safe respectful manner with respecting distances and closing of washrooms and showers at provincial site. Unfortunately much like hunting on private land a few will ruin it for the masses I fear. It’s a new kind of abnormal we will need to get used to for at least a year probably more.

OL_JR
03-21-2020, 09:01 PM
Don't see the problem with camping in provincial campgrounds as it would seem to be about as safe as anything a person might do during this time of social distancing. As long as we aren't on full lockdown and allowed to leave our homes it makes no sense that we wouldn't be allowed to camp. Good for peoples mental health as well. Just spent a few days "social distancing" with an ice rod in hand and it's sure nice to get away from the seemingly non stop doom and gloom being broadcast.

Red Bullets
03-21-2020, 11:49 PM
A bad scenario would be if a person went camping and then the roads or towns and cities went on lock down. Then they might not get to return home if they live in an urban place. Might have to camp until November.

Buckhead
03-21-2020, 11:59 PM
A bad scenario would be if a person went camping and then the roads or towns and cities went on lock down. Then they might not get to return home if they live in an urban place. Might have to camp until November.

Let me see.....forced to camp and fish and hunt until November.
Sounds pretty good to me.:)

Windsweptcoast
03-22-2020, 02:49 AM
The only risk I can think of with camping would be shared use of the public washroom facilities.

lyallpeder
03-22-2020, 08:46 AM
The only risk I can think of with camping would be shared use of the public washroom facilities.

And since they have already shut the pit toilets down in provincial recreational areas I can’t see them having washroom or shows open during camping season if this continues.

58thecat
03-22-2020, 09:01 AM
take your toys and get way out on crown land...isolate...breath and enjoy....not hard to figure out but most so called campers need a plug in etc....

molly
03-22-2020, 09:05 AM
take your toys and get way out on crown land...isolate...breath and enjoy....not hard to figure out but most so called campers need a plug in etc....

In the SW area, random camping is by permit only in designated areas....although, I suspect those rules will be broken!

bat119
03-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Look for a place on an acreage or farm all you need is power or genset I'm sure somebody would rent out a spot on the North forty.

I wish it was warmer out now my trailer is at my BIL's acreage it would be a good place to quarantine.

JB_AOL
03-22-2020, 09:49 AM
I think most people don't understand the purpose of the "lockdown". It's to slow the impact on the health system.

Now if you are to continue with your normal camping practices and happen to get hurt.. that puts even more strain on the already overrun health system..

Another point.. if we do go into a proper lockdown, you will have issues getting home, and more than likely be fined massively (ignoring lockdown).

bessiedog
03-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Pretty much a really dumb idea.

‘Oh yea... I’ll just get some gas...’ .... contaminates!

Humans driving around are spread vectors for the virus. Of course we’re all the ‘safe ones’ or ‘the exception’...... but we’re not. Simple as that. Don’t be that guy..... the unwitting one that spreads stuff.

We all love to think we’re the exception to the rule.

Lock down means lock down.... NOT vacation time.

I predict that there will be travel bans because of thinking like this.

We need to be better than this.

Buckhead
03-22-2020, 10:16 AM
I am pretty sure everyone that has a grasp of the English language and can read or watch the news knows what a lockdown is.

Lots of people come to this forum to engage in banter.

It's a way of relieving stress.

HighlandHeart
03-22-2020, 10:26 AM
The government will be wanting us to stay in our homes soon enough. If I lived in a city I would be twitching to go live in a campground too. I would think long and hard about it and weigh the risks versus the benefits. Part of the analysis should include your plan if someone in your family gets sick while camping in a rural area far away from hospitals.

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:35 AM
In the SW area, random camping is by permit only in designated areas....although, I suspect those rules will be broken!

head up north and make the most of it....lots of areas to enjoy.

Big Grey Wolf
03-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Guys camping is the safest thing you can do to protect you and your family from getting Corona viruses. It is called ' Forest Bathing" or in Japanese "Shinrinyoku". Trees mainly spruce/pine/fur give off essential oil vapours that kill almost All viruses and bacteria, that is so they can live for 300-400 years like sitka spruce.Japan did lots of research on this scientific area.
A top Forestry scientist Wladimir Smirnoff published over 300 technical papers on this forestry research when he was with Quebec Forestry. He found no viruses in a grove of spruce trees.
Lastly if you spend 2-3 days in spruce/pine forest your NK/T cells will go up exponentially, they help protect your body by tackling viruses in the body.
Tell your older parents will weaker immune system to go to their lake cabin for next few months and spend time in the trees, they will have better chance to fight off the coronavirus.
In summation do not think I I am a 'guack', spent most of my life as research scientist and provided research funding to many Alberta companies. Just Google it yourself, you have lots of time to get educated while staying at home. PS will also lower your cortisol/stress level!

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Humans driving around are spread vectors for the virus. Of course we’re all the ‘safe ones’ or ‘the exception’...... but we’re not. Simple as that. Don’t be that guy..... the unwitting one that spreads stuff.

I agree.

'Sure, come for a drink, play cards, let the kids play together out in the fresh air. '

Bad plan.

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:37 AM

unless I missed something 14 days quranteen was for people coming into country etc..the rest of us are to keep social isolation...like going fishing....quading etc is allowed still.....you can get essentials like gas and food still....unless I missed it that we are in total lockdown man cold lake is full of people enjoying the outdoors etc....

58thecat
03-22-2020, 10:39 AM
I agree.

'Sure, come for a drink, play cards, let the kids play together out in the fresh air. '

Bad plan.

no...you don't invite outsiders just you and yours that are in the same household...and don't engage with others is all....I get 8hrs a day outside...weather permitting that is but I sure as heck aint throwing a party etc.:)

mac1983
03-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Guys camping is the safest thing you can do to protect you and your family from getting Corona viruses. It is called ' Forest Bathing" or in Japanese "Shinrinyoku". Trees mainly spruce/pine/fur give off essential oil vapours that kill almost All viruses and bacteria, that is so they can live for 300-400 years like sitka spruce.Japan did lots of research on this scientific area.
A top Forestry scientist Wladimir Smirnoff published over 300 technical papers on this forestry research when he was with Quebec Forestry. He found no viruses in a grove of spruce trees.
Lastly if you spend 2-3 days in spruce/pine forest your NK/T cells will go up exponentially, they help protect your body by tackling viruses in the body.
Tell your older parents will weaker immune system to go to their lake cabin for next few months and spend time in the trees, they will have better chance to fight off the coronavirus.
In summation do not think I I am a 'guack', spent most of my life as research scientist and provided research funding to many Alberta companies. Just Google it yourself, you have lots of time to get educated while staying at home. PS will also lower your cortisol/stress level!

Read this, hiding in your basement from the sun and nature will kill you faster than anything else...

Buckhead
03-22-2020, 10:47 AM
no...you don't invite outsiders just you and yours that are in the same household...and don't engage with others is all....I get 8hrs a day outside...weather permitting that is but I sure as heck aint throwing a party etc.:)

Exactly. When I go out to the campsite I don't want to see you or hear you unless you are my immediate family - and even then you might be pushing it.
I don't know how other people camp but I enjoy the solitude. I have to listen to dozens of idiots at the work place. No way I am doing that on my own time in the great outdoors.

bessiedog
03-22-2020, 11:15 AM
unless I missed something 14 days quranteen was for people coming into country etc..the rest of us are to keep social isolation...like going fishing....quading etc is allowed still.....you can get essentials like gas and food still....unless I missed it that we are in total lockdown man cold lake is full of people enjoying the outdoors etc....

So.... regular camping season starts.... May?..

Extrapolate the spread....... what do YOU think it’s gonna look like?

There’s already trends towards restricting more and more.

Sorry wolf...... I’m sure that all trees don’t have the coronavirus either....

I’d very much caution giving advice like that.

At the very least... we’d have city folk running amok naked rubbing up against threes n such.....

I don’t got enough ammo to mitigate that situation and the ground don’t thaw for a while fer pit traps...... ;)

Best not to put those ideas out there.

bessiedog
03-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Exactly. When I go out to the campsite I don't want to see you or hear you unless you are my immediate family - and even then you might be pushing it.
I don't know how other people camp but I enjoy the solitude. I have to listen to dozens of idiots at the work place. No way I am doing that on my own time in the great outdoors.

You’ve obviously never ‘random camped’ along the Forestry Trunk Road

... or the Porkies...

Buckhead
03-22-2020, 11:17 AM

At the very least... we’d have city folk running amok naked rubbing up against threes n such.....

I don’t got enough ammo to mitigate that situation and the ground don’t thaw for a while fer pit traps...... ;)

Good grief. I spit up my coffee. Dang near choked.:)

roper1
03-22-2020, 11:23 AM

K Bessie some things a guy can't unsee.........:)

Buckhead
03-22-2020, 11:25 AM
You’ve obviously never ‘random camped’ along the Forestry Trunk Road

... or the Porkies...

I have, but in the early 80's. Now I go elsewhere.
And I ain't telling where.:scared0018:

bessiedog
03-22-2020, 11:49 AM
I have, but in the early 80's. Now I go elsewhere.
And I ain't telling where.:scared0018:

It was a great place.......

Only trikes and dirt bikes. People respected the land and kept a distance.

Trailers were for just sleeping in... maybe the odd cramped meal

.... now it’s 4wheeled bush blenders and land barges that lumber on at 15km/h

Someone invented car sub woofers....

Guys dropping trees for kids’ satilite signal links for their game consoles.

Worse yet..... the ‘sponsored’ race teams that grind up the place n figure ‘there’s gotta be recycling downstream’ Chuck it n dump it club.......

Sigh...... thank god cutties have too many bones for their sensitive palates..

3blade
03-23-2020, 01:38 AM
One problem: shared washrooms/outhouses. Makes the whole thing a no-no

Stay home. Bessie is right, we need to be better than this.

Buckhead
03-23-2020, 02:50 AM
People are just asking for information, so that they can be informed.

Denigrating them is not going to achieve compliance with anything.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 07:46 AM

People are going to do what they want when they want unless we are in a state of lockdown in which the streets are closed and manned by police/military....so if someone has the urge to bugger off I would sooner see them head up to timbucktoo instead of the usual so called camping right beside your neighbour etc....social isolation camping if you must.
No different then any outdoor activity and around here I see lots of it going on...

58thecat
03-23-2020, 07:47 AM
One problem: shared washrooms/outhouses. Makes the whole thing a no-no

Stay home. Bessie is right, we need to be better than this.

Shared washroom....this is my tree bugger off eh!

I am talking camping here.....out in the woods....crown land....

flydude
03-23-2020, 08:51 AM
One of the problems with planning to go camping/travelling is the possible spread while in the preparation phase. The following places, if open, may be visited in order to prepare to go out camping even for a few days:

Gas station
Food store
Automotive /Canadian Tire
Outdoors store
RV store
Fishing store
Liquor store
Bank
Clothing store
RV Sanidump

Buckhead
03-23-2020, 09:06 AM
One of the problems with planning to go camping/travelling is the possible spread while in the preparation phase. The following places, if open, may be visited in order to prepare to go out camping even for a few days:

Gas station
Food store
Outdoors store
RV store
Fishing store
Liquor store
Bank
Clothing store
RV Sanidump

Well I don't control how other people prepare for camping but I would not need to visit any of those places and I could be ready to go from my home in about 4 hours.
I don't need to stop along the way either and I am completely self contained when I get there.

thumper
03-23-2020, 09:17 AM
Well I don't control how other people prepare for camping but I would not need to visit any of those places and I could be ready to go from my home in about 4 hours.
I don't need to stop along the way either and I am completely self contained when I get there.

Same here. Make up some meals at home, Stop for gas and that's about it. If I need to use a sani-dump for my toilet, I'm wearing gloves for that chore- as is anyone else.

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Yes...... I’m sure we’re all the exception......

Might as well head to the beach and camp too.

Not the right idea here kids.

bat119
03-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Gas station ---wear a glove tap for gas
Food store --you need to eat at home
Automotive /Canadian Tire --nope
Outdoors store --- nope
RV store --I already have one
Fishing store --after my 3rd tackle box was full I stopped buying
Liquor store -- have enough already
Bank --- do people still go to these?
Clothing store --????
RV Sanidump -never had trouble keeping a 6' distance when dumping

I could drive to my trailer right now without stopping for anything.

Buckhead
03-23-2020, 09:31 AM
I am just stating what I normally do. And how I conduct myself.

If you want to go to the beach for spring break....fill ur boots.

Scott h
03-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Gas station
Food store
Outdoors store
RV store
Fishing store
Liquor store
Bank
Clothing store
RV Sanidump

You have good points BUT unfortunately there are still people visiting all of those places right now. I haven't slowed my outdoor time in the least but I no longer go to most of the places on your list. They probably will have to close down camping due to the percentage of the population that continue on like nothing has changed.

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 09:50 AM
And this is the attitude of ‘I’m different....I’m special.... I’m not THAT guy....that creates the problem.

You are that guy.... at the very least you are demonstrating that rules were meant to not be followed by others.....

I get that outdoors people are not traditionally group/team people

Your being asked to be.

Why can’t you guys just work with the rest of the country?

Buckhead
03-23-2020, 09:59 AM
I would not be exposing myself or any others to any risk whatsoever.

Take that as you wish.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 10:03 AM
I am just stating what I normally do. And how I conduct myself.

If you want to go to the beach for spring break....fill ur boots.

I wouldn't go that far as in spring break...but outdoor activities with you and yours that all live in the same household social separation from others is ok.

go for a run, cross country skiing etc....etc...perfectly fine and even a night or two under the stars.

bat119
03-23-2020, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about anybody going camping for the next 6 weeks hopefully things will get better by then.
I would be more worried about the ones that aren't staying home right now going to stores etc. the streets are still busy.

antlercarver
03-23-2020, 12:05 PM
With the campgrounds and parks closed there will be MORE bush campers.
Each year bush campers cause wildfires, now with more out bush camping, often with less knowledge than they think they have. there will be more fires.
Don`t camp too far in or you and your family may roast from your own fire.

mac1983
03-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Yep tell the people they can't think for themselves, it's a nanny state. Bubble wrap yourself and hide in your basement till the government comes and saves you.

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 12:48 PM
You trust the average camper that they know what’s the right thing to do?

Watch tv ...... see the idiots..... then read all the entitled ones on the thread.

Yea.... you and your individualism got this virus problem all figured out and covered.

Good on ya..... to hell with the old folks..! Right?

Geeze

I’m out of this thread.

It’s rife with such ....... hubris..... big word... but it applies.

One thing I’ve learned in life is that Nature and circumstance will eventually find a way to humble you and make you realize your mortality.......

I hope this isn’t that lesson for some here.

The Cook
03-23-2020, 01:18 PM
And this is the attitude of ‘I’m different....I’m special.... I’m not THAT guy....that creates the problem.

You are that guy.... at the very least you are demonstrating that rules were meant to not be followed by others.....

I get that outdoors people are not traditionally group/team people

Your being asked to be.

Why can’t you guys just work with the rest of the country?

Stay home means STAY HOME. This is not vacation time, this is called Pandemic and the only way to stop the spread is to STAY HOME. Canmore was a crap show on Saturday with tourists all over main street.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2020, 02:41 PM
You trust the average camper that they know what’s the right thing to do?

Watch tv ...... see the idiots..... then read all the entitled ones on the thread.

Yea.... you and your individualism got this virus problem all figured out and covered.

Good on ya..... to hell with the old folks..! Right?

Geeze

I’m out of this thread.

It’s rife with such ....... hubris..... big word... but it applies.

One thing I’ve learned in life is that Nature and circumstance will eventually find a way to humble you and make you realize your mortality.......

I hope this isn’t that lesson for some here.

Stay home means STAY HOME. This is not vacation time, this is called Pandemic and the only way to stop the spread is to STAY HOME. Canmore was a crap show on Saturday with tourists all over main street.

Bessie and The Cook are bang on! Bolded is what needs to be done as much as possible.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 02:53 PM
i'm going fishing all by myself....oh and the dog too.

koothunter
03-23-2020, 02:59 PM
I live in the East Kootenays and all the cabins around me are full of people. Not just one couple, but all the kids and grandkids treating this like a vacation. Now, many on here will say that's great, get away from the people and it will be better "social distancing" than in the city. Problem is that they all had to stop and get gas, groceries, booze, etc. It puts more stress on the resources here. ie. limited internet/communications capacity (especially with everyone working remotely), grocery stores, gas stations, trades people. There was a guy on facebook who hadn't been here all winter, but was now looking for someone to plow his driveway/road. Hospitals are also staffed based on population, when crap hits the fan and all of the non residents are here this will overwhelm the health care system (that's the whole point of flattening the curve, to reduce stress on health care facilities). How many of you would go to the same hospital camping as you would at home? Also, the mere act of travelling more distance than necessary to live is a problem. Please, for the sake of everyone, don't be "that guy/girl", aka a bonehead, and stay home!

58thecat
03-23-2020, 03:05 PM
I live in the East Kootenays and all the cabins around me are full of people. Not just one couple, but all the kids and grandkids treating this like a vacation. Now, many on here will say that's great, get away from the people and it will be better "social distancing" than in the city. Problem is that they all had to stop and get gas, groceries, booze, etc. It puts more stress on the resources here. ie. limited internet/communications capacity (especially with everyone working remotely), grocery stores, gas stations, trades people. There was a guy on facebook who hadn't been here all winter, but was now looking for someone to plow his driveway/road. Hospitals are also staffed based on population, when crap hits the fan and all of the non residents are here this will overwhelm the health care system (that's the whole point of flattening the curve, to reduce stress on health care facilities). How many of you would go to the same hospital camping as you would at home? Also, the mere act of travelling more distance than necessary to live is a problem. Please, for the sake of everyone, don't be "that guy/girl", aka a bonehead, and stay home!

yup...this is overboard...I have the luxury to get out and quad/fish with no implications to others....if you can do that then all is good but a gathering of any sort is not acceptable....

JB_AOL
03-23-2020, 03:20 PM
yup...this is overboard...I have the luxury to get out and quad/fish with no implications to others....if you can do that then all is good but a gathering of any sort is not acceptable....

That's the problem.. there's always potential implications. What happens when you fall off your quad and hurt yourself, (I know.. it'll never happen to you). But it will happen to someone that thinks the same as you. And now there's a larger strain on the healthcare system, because you felt it wouldn't happen to you.

At any rate. Doesn't matter. There'll be an official lockdown before anyone has time to plan. Then everyone outside off their property will be fined.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 03:38 PM
That's the problem.. there's always potential implications. What happens when you fall off your quad and hurt yourself, (I know.. it'll never happen to you). But it will happen to someone that thinks the same as you. And now there's a larger strain on the healthcare system, because you felt it wouldn't happen to you.

At any rate. Doesn't matter. There'll be an official lockdown before anyone has time to plan. Then everyone outside off their property will be fined.

you can fall down a flight of stairs too playing with your kids...just saying..I know it wont happen to you..we are at social separating for now and I will abide by that law until lockdown happens if it happens....

mac1983
03-23-2020, 03:52 PM
Well i'm going sledding, not hiding out, course i have my own outdoor playground lol, sorry for you city folk. And if i get hurt out in the woods well i guess that blackbear i seen yesterday will have breakfast. haha

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-23-2020, 04:52 PM
I just watched a video of Trudeau telling us all to go home and stay there. He also said, It is our duty to listen and staying home is our way to serve! We are not his soldiers or students. The only thing missing from that comment was his right hand raised to the sky. I am doing everything necessary to protect myself and so is my family and unless I catch this virus I’m not going to stop living my life and that means camping, bike riding, going for walks etc. So yes I’m still going camping “while” doing everything necessary to protect my family.

It was Trudeau who had the option to close our borders before the first person brought it into Canada and he chose not to and now we all have to deal with it in a big way. We would be one of the only countries pandemic free. Unless they shut everything down except for mandatory positions I’m doing my thing and life goes on....with caution and a new found stress :shark:

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Yup

Your something there Tinda.....

Do you know what a libertarianism really is.,? They engage in voluntary restraint....and make considered actions.

Children do stuff in spite of logic and font stop till their mommies tell them not to.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Well i'm going sledding, not hiding out, course i have my own outdoor playground lol, sorry for you city folk. And if i get hurt out in the woods well i guess that blackbear i seen yesterday will have breakfast. haha

nothing will eat you're stinky hide:sHa_sarcasticlol:

enjoy the ride:sHa_shakeshout:

oh if I come across your corpse can I have your Hawkins 50.cal? :)

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 05:08 PM
It’s a good gun, an it kilt the Barr that kilt mee.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 05:09 PM
Yup

Dint nobody tells me’s whut ta do...expeshally dat guberment cause Dey’s bad.

Do you know what a libertarianism really is.,? They engage in voluntary restraint....and make considered actions.

Children do stuff in spite of logic and font stop till their mommies tell them not to.

I’ll bet you prolly believe it’s all caused by 5G coming on stream too....

yu'been a sippin da sauze eh!:scared0015:

Childishh thing to in dis cizzis!

58thecat
03-23-2020, 05:12 PM

tru'yer aim pilgrim....ders a epidemical ting amongst'uz…...

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 05:13 PM
Bestn’ stick ya der high country....

Germs don comin up da farr...

An hey!... I can get the shack nasties jus like ever one else

58thecat
03-23-2020, 05:16 PM

ev'err skin a barr pilgrim....

hmmm gotta watch the movie now......dam you Hatchet Jack !

shack nasties …. kick'em out and get a new woman.....

JB_AOL
03-23-2020, 05:21 PM
And.. it's attitudes like these, are the reason there will be a lockdown happening sooner than later. Ontario locked down today.. we're very soon.

Sloughsharkjigger
03-23-2020, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking if people shut in as much as possible for the next couple weeks, a better grasp of the situation will dictate recreational activities.

This is why Communism works. Shut it all down to try and get a handle on it.

People wanting to move about right now is going to set others off.

Exactly^^^ all though the Commy stuff maybe a bit much....

As people flock to the back country the risk of “other stuff’ happening will only add to what is already a VERY complex situation.

Let’s consider preventable wildfires, personal injury in the campgrounds/backcountry & the need to sanitize all those public FACILITIES... there is hundreds of them folks. Bottom line, we as citizens do not need the added risk or burden.

Right now and perhaps for months to come. Our front line responders and service providers need to focus on high risk/high population areas. Don’t need to make another one.

58thecat
03-23-2020, 05:37 PM
And.. it's attitudes like these, are the reason there will be a lockdown happening sooner than later. Ontario locked down today.. we're very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYnCmw2CWE

:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Jayhad
03-23-2020, 05:37 PM

To live in such fear :snapoutofit:

If I drive from my house to the river as I have done for 1000s of times not stopping until I get there, not interacting with anyone is not causing any issues.

We are currently experiencing a COVID-19 fatality rate of roughly 1.15%. from the context of your posts one would believe we are on the verge of the walking dead.

when all is said and done we will have more deaths from opioid over doses during this time and no body sitting at home terrified is going to care about it

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 05:39 PM
ev'err skin a barr pilgrim....

hmmm gotta watch the movie now......dam you Hatchet Jack !

shack nasties …. kick'em out and get a new woman.....

You’n shar u kin skin grizz....?

Buckhead
03-23-2020, 05:53 PM

Maybe there should have been a lockdown BEFORE the Prime Ministers wife went to Europe and brought Covid-19 back with her.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
03-23-2020, 06:08 PM
Yup

Oh he wise master has spoken lol
Cars? There are no cars where I camp :sHa_shakeshout:

(Insert picture of crazy guy from back to the future here)

bessiedog
03-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Oh he wise master has spoken lol
Cars? There are no cars where I camp :sHa_shakeshout:

(Insert picture of crazy guy from back to the future here)

Ya... !

You got a better movie reference .. you win. :)

mac1983
03-23-2020, 06:47 PM
nothing will eat you're stinky hide:sHa_sarcasticlol:

enjoy the ride:sHa_shakeshout:

oh if I come across your corpse can I have your Hawkins 50.cal? :)
You will have to pry that Hawkins from my cold dead hands...

JB_AOL
03-23-2020, 06:52 PM
To live in such fear :snapoutofit:

If I drive from my house to the river as I have done for 1000s of times not stopping until I get there, not interacting with anyone is not causing any issues.

We are currently experiencing a COVID-19 fatality rate of roughly 1.15%. from the context of your posts one would believe we are on the verge of the walking dead.

when all is said and done we will have more deaths from opioid over doses during this time and no body sitting at home terrified is going to care about it

Lol.
Umm ok.

I don't live in fear. I understand the reasoning behind the lockdowns. I have many relatives that are in and out of the healthcare system for much more serious reasons than covid, and I understand how stressed the system was before this "crisis". I do my part to not add to the crisis. But hey.. you do you, and I'll do me. I just hope you're not facedown in the river when the paramedics are to busy to help you.

Good luck.

JB_AOL
03-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Maybe there should have been a lockdown BEFORE the Prime Ministers wife went to Europe and brought Covid-19 back with her.

Yep. And they shouldn't kept him out as well.

dodger
03-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Reading the exact same discussion from Europe about going fishing.Word for word but they can use the nasty English. It seems we are all the same around this old planet. :sHa_shakeshout:

dodger.

Peace Meal Farm
03-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Wifey and I have confirmed our plans- heading out April 1 for 2-ish months at the cabin. Our place is water access on a lake 100 km long, with about a dozen or so other properties on the lake. Closest neighbours are 6 km, and the next closest is 10.

We will have good ice travel into May. Ice out will be late May or the first week of June. It will be just like the old timers betting on what day breakup will be ; )

Now that the sun is coming back the solar is viable so we will have out lights and fridge. A fresh 100 lb lp tank and 100 liters of fuel should see us out.

Wifey is a teacher and has no realistic expectation of returning to work this year. I am closing my shop down for a bit. What a cool opportunity though. Truly we are trying to make lemonade out of the situation, and I cant wait to spend 2 months in the middle of absolute nowhere.

https://tpiwwp.com/out.php/i11067_img-5227-resize.jpg

kmacisaac
03-23-2020, 11:35 PM
Camping has crossed my mind as well, and would most likely be some sort of trip into the remote back country where I'm in my most happy state. Although to play Devil's Advocate, I do see why AB Parks may close things. This past weekend, my wife and I took our dog to a remote area for a day hike and didn't really come across a soul all day. Afterwards, while driving past a popular day use area, one would swear it was Canada day weekend. Folks were a bit too close for what I would call "social distancing", but to each their own and part of the reason I chose the location I chose....we were fine.
The problem from a Parks perspective was the fact that trails are open but public amenities were not. Many of the non-working visitors that felt that getting outdoors was a good thing did not plan for the lack of services. There were many reports of crappy diapers, feminine hygiene products, food waste, etc. being tossed everywhere. This is unacceptable and in the end has to be cleaned up by someone. And before someone mentions that washrooms coud be cleaned and left open....lets look at the real picture, someone would most likely steal the hand sanitizer bag out of the dispenser and the TP would be jacked as well. It's sad to look at things this way, but it is what it is.
If you're camping in your RV with your family(not my style by the way), and self sufficient....than way to go, get away from it all. As far as those of us relying on some sort of comfort assistance, well we might just have to wait this one out.
By the way, this would be my ideal camp situation and one from a couple weeks back. Social distancing was about 20+km.....not for everyone, but absolutely fantastic if it's your thing.
Be well AOF,
Keith

58thecat
03-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Wifey and I have confirmed our plans- heading out April 1 for 2-ish months at the cabin. Our place is water access on a lake 100 km long, with about a dozen or so other properties on the lake. Closest neighbours are 6 km, and the next closest is 10.

We will have good ice travel into May. Ice out will be late May or the first week of June. It will be just like the old timers betting on what day breakup will be ; )

Now that the sun is coming back the solar is viable so we will have out lights and fridge. A fresh 100 lb lp tank and 100 liters of fuel should see us out.

Wifey is a teacher and has no realistic expectation of returning to work this year. I am closing my shop down for a bit. What a cool opportunity though. Truly we are trying to make lemonade out of the situation, and I cant wait to spend 2 months in the middle of absolute nowhere.

awesome!!!!!

Big Grey Wolf
03-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Peace mill, you have the perfect place to build up your families immune system to fight the coronavirus. Lots of spruce trees around your property, your white blood/NK T cells will be very high and help fight the Crvd-19 virus. ( Look up Japanese Forest Bathing on Google) PS bring your older parents with you, they are the highest risk ones.

wildcwilly
03-24-2020, 11:19 AM
I just spent the weekend working on the camper trailer getting it ready for the summer. It had an electrical problem and needed a new sink faucet.

I can avoid all the potential social contact places (liquor, gas, groceries) <- Yeah, that's my priorities. :fighting0030:

I'll likely just camp in the back yard this year. :sign0176: It's way cheaper that way (I repeat over and over)
I can brew my own beer. Tough couple weeks waiting for it though. :(
I walk to work and that won't change. I'm told that I'm classified as essential. Coworkers are printing off a document that will get them through police / military barricades if they go up. :sign0161:
Wife usually orders groceries online and we do the pickup thing. Works in my favor because I hate shopping anyways.

There's more to this than "I will be away from everyone and safe because..." We also have to think of the poor schmucks that are deemed essential and have to put up with the hundreds of us needing to grab a case of beer, pack of smokes or jug of milk every day.

Do I want to be out there having a beer by the campfire, fishing and relaxing in the wild? More and more as each day goes by with this F*ng white crap on the ground still. Maybe we can still salvage later this summer, at which point, everyone and their dogs will be out there too. Only time will tell with this.

jrowan
03-24-2020, 11:54 AM
While people might consider camping safe there are some risk points to consider:

1) gas stations, likely unless you clean the pump the handle isn't being cleaned after every use

2) bathroom/shower: where are you going to shower or go to the bathroom? Given provincial park services are closed I wouldn't expect running water at and provincial site as the water hasn't been turned back on yet. I'd be surprised if power was on as well.

3) food/water: only small game like rabbit is in season right now which will actually make you malnourished if that's all you eat, so you will have to go to town and shop to stock back up. If there's no running water how will you store enough water to cook/clean.

4) injury: if you get injured expect a slower response time, also expect to get hospitalized in the same room as someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or at least interact with a nurse/doctor that has COVID-19 or has recently made contact with someone with COVID-19 as the crisis escalates. If your injury results in a non emergent surgery your surgery will be delayed until you are critical or until the crisis is over.

5) close quarters: going with a friend or your family? Most tents, RVs, and cars won't accommodate the 2 m distancing. If one of you contracts it and tests positive everyone gets quarantined, people with out symptoms are low priority for tests.

jrowan
03-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Given you have water I'd say your plan is great. What school board does she work for though? I know the Calgary Public board is moving all classes online and requiring teachers to be online at least 1hr/day and mark assignments. Apparently the system is run for distance learning like homeschooling so everything is there they just have to enroll every in the program. I'm not sure what other boards are doing.

urban rednek
03-24-2020, 01:39 PM
I think it is very enlightening to see which well-meaning members of this forum immediately interpret "social distancing" as "self quarantine at home". :thinking-006:
They refuse to acknowledge that many of the activities mentioned (purchasing gas, groceries, and liquor) are currently allowed, and happening multiple times every day by other members of society...only you wannabe campers should be publicly shamed for it. Then they proceed with the "what ifs?" to further denigrate the members that just want to get away from everyone.
Maybe they should lock themselves in, as this is obviously too much for them.

jrowan
03-24-2020, 02:24 PM
I think it is very enlightening to see which well-meaning members of this forum immediately interpret "social distancing" as "self quarantine at home". :thinking-006:
They refuse to acknowledge that many of the activities mentioned (purchasing gas, groceries, and liquor) are currently allowed, and happening multiple times every day by other members of society...only you wannabe campers should be publicly shamed for it. Then they proceed with the "what ifs?" to further denigrate the members that just want to get away from everyone.

Personally I think that the messaging has been pretty clear. Even with just social distancing, you should be limiting your exposure to people as much as possible since you can spread COVID-19 prior to developing symptoms. Non-essential interactions should be stopped.

For instance, I have not driven my car since Wednesday last week. As such I've not gone to a gas station nor will I need to in the near future.

Quarantine at this point means you should not be leaving home for any reason.

GENINC
03-24-2020, 02:25 PM

This really can't be that hard to understand. What these well meaning members are trying to convey is that maybe hold off a little with your activities until this quiets down a bit. Yes we all need grocery to eat and gas to get said groceries and get to work and back if you still do work. You definitely don't NEED to get out and go camping, because some schmuck will definitely drag that virus from the city to some rural gas station and then get into an accident and infect some first responders as well. What can go wrong, most certainly will.
What's happening now is that the government is hoping for our common sense but that seemingly doesn't exist and when the government realizes that voluntary actions don't work they WILL quarantine all of us to our homes and you can guess who's going to be bitching about it the loudest.
I love the outdoors and have a bunch of toys itching to get out but for ****s sake let's be adults and have some patience and not act like kids waiting for christmas morning.

mac1983
03-24-2020, 05:39 PM

Yes, common sense seems to be the first thing lost when you panic... I think there is a special place in their basement for them...

liar
03-24-2020, 05:56 PM
i have heard health officials and politician tell us that we should stay home . that is not self isolation . that means staying home to reduce the chances of spreading this little demon . yes , we are still free to go shopping , fishing , or whatever else we want .

bessiedog
03-24-2020, 06:35 PM
i have heard health officials and politician tell us that we should stay home . that is not self isolation . that means staying home to reduce the chances of spreading this little demon . yes , we are still free to go shopping , fishing , or whatever else we want .

Perhaps you should turn on the news fer a bit...?

liar
03-24-2020, 07:20 PM

i just watched the six oclock news and the pm again asked for people to stay home . what am i missing ?

Buckhead
03-24-2020, 09:52 PM

And the news is telling me that they are flying more then 1 million contaminated Canadians back to this country with Calgary as one of the major hubs.
A plane with more than 400 contaminated people versus isolating in the woods.
Somehow the logic here escapes me.

Peace Meal Farm
03-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Given you have water I'd say your plan is great. What school board does she work for though? I know the Calgary Public board is moving all classes online and requiring teachers to be online at least 1hr/day and mark assignments. Apparently the system is run for distance learning like homeschooling so everything is there they just have to enroll every in the program. I'm not sure what other boards are doing.

Yukon Dept of Ed

58thecat
03-25-2020, 09:34 AM
i just watched the six oclock news and the pm again asked for people to stay home . what am i missing ?

He is just that....clueless....one side says this and the other side says that yet they are all part of his decision making....gives you a sense of feeling good with this dork at the helm....