PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis lake winter kill

WhitefishLady
03-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Went to Phyllis lake this morning (near Caroline) to hopefully find some perch for the 3 year old. No fish on the camera. Dead perch on the bottom. Every hole we made close to the island could see 5-6 dead perch. Another person we talked to (from a distance) did not catch or see anything. Winter kill? Never heard of it at this lake. We were just there in January and lots of perch. Anyone been there recently?

WayneChristie
03-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Went to Phyllis lake this morning (near Caroline) to hopefully find some perch for the 3 year old. No fish on the camera. Dead perch on the bottom. Every hole we made close to the island could see 5-6 dead perch. Another person we talked to (from a distance) did not catch or see anything. Winter kill? Never heard of it at this lake. We were just there in January and lots of perch. Anyone been there recently?

Even perch fear gingers:scared0018:

WhitefishLady
03-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Even perch fear gingers:scared0018:

Well wouldn’t you? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pikebreath
03-22-2020, 01:02 PM
How much snow cover is there on the lake?

Snow reflects sunlight, no light penetration through the ice stops all photosynthesis and excess decaying plants consume O2 at a greater rate than on a lake with little snow cover.

So yeah, I think we will more hearing winterkill reports from shallow and smaller / shelters waterbodies.

WhitefishLady
03-22-2020, 02:26 PM
How much snow cover is there on the lake?

Snow reflects sunlight, no light penetration through the ice stops all photosynthesis and excess decaying plants consume O2 at a greater rate than on a lake with little snow cover.

So yeah, I think we will more hearing winterkill reports from shallow and smaller / shelters waterbodies.

Yes Lots of snow 1-2 ft. Agree totally.

Stryker2
03-22-2020, 05:01 PM

This will be the 2nd year in a row then. It winter killed last year as well, i was there last June and there wasn't a fish to be seen, and all the locals that I talked to said it had winter killed!

slough shark
03-22-2020, 05:06 PM
That would be good for trout they stock if the perch and suckers are gone, those things were thick last time I was there 10 years ago, trout looked half starved

WayneChristie
03-23-2020, 08:42 AM
Well wouldn’t you? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

gots that right! I hope the 3 of you are doing well. been a while! :)

WhitefishLady
03-24-2020, 06:08 PM
This will be the 2nd year in a row then. It winter killed last year as well, i was there last June and there wasn't a fish to be seen, and all the locals that I talked to said it had winter killed!

Hmmm we were just there this year in January and lots of perch. Maybe it was “stocked” again haha.

tallieho
03-25-2020, 05:48 AM
That would be good for trout they stock if the perch and suckers are gone, those things were thick last time I was there 10 years ago, trout looked half starved

Now the Govt should put in some Tiger Trout.It will help to maintain the perch& sucker populations.

Smoky buck
03-25-2020, 07:57 AM
Now the Govt should put in some Tiger Trout.It will help to maintain the perch& sucker populations.

Not familiar with the lake personally but if it has an on going history of winter kill I would not think it’s worth stocking tigers. If anything cheaper readily available rainbows stocked to be used as an open water opportunity.

Tigers are way cooler the rainbows but unless there is going to be efforts to address the winter kill issue it just seems like a waste of funding that could be used elsewhere

WhitefishLady
03-25-2020, 08:05 AM
We have been fishing at Phyllis for over 10 years never seen it devoid of life like I saw this past Sunday. It would probably benefit from aerations anyways though. Tigers would be neat in there but agree could be a waste. Without the perch it would be a pretty good rainbow fishery so hopefully the perch are all gone and the bucket brigade doesn’t come back. Was planning on emailing a provincial biologist about what we saw.

I’m a bit nostalgic about this lake as it is one of the first places I ever fished.

pyke88
03-25-2020, 08:13 AM
Saturday morning I fished Phyllis. Normally lots of action. All little guys, but entertaining none the less. This past weekend, not a nibble. I mean nothing. Couple other groups on the ice and I didn't see anyone with much action.

Smoky buck
03-25-2020, 08:29 AM
If you have a history of fishing the lake often and this is completely abnormal it does not hurt to report it. Unfortunately because bio’s receive all kinds of crazy reports you can’t expect much results unless they are seeing a trend in reports or the lake is already on their radar.

Best way to get their attention is don’t do what most fishermen do. Don’t tell them you think it’s winter kill and you want to see X done. Reach out to your local bio and mention you are concerned about the dead fish you observed and noticed an overall lack of live fish activity. Ask them if they are aware of the situation or know what could possibly be going on.

At times it pays to play dumb, stick to simple facts and act inquisitive. It can often lead to learning possible future plans for the lake in question. Seems to spark more interest in issues when they are approached by someone trying to gain knowledge from someone who noticed something concerning.

Just my opinion

WhitefishLady
03-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Saturday morning I fished Phyllis. Normally lots of action. All little guys, but entertaining none the less. This past weekend, not a nibble. I mean nothing. Couple other groups on the ice and I didn't see anyone with much action.

Yes exactly it’s a nice place to take kids as well

AM
Smoky buck If you have a history of fishing the lake often and this is completely abnormal it does not hurt to report it. Unfortunately because bio’s receive all kinds of crazy reports you can’t expect much results unless they are seeing a trend in reports or the lake is already on their radar.

Best way to get their attention is don’t do what most fishermen do. Don’t tell them you think it’s winter kill and you want to see X done. Reach out to your local bio and mention you are concerned about the dead fish you observed and noticed an overall lack of live fish activity. Ask them if they are aware of the situation or know what could possibly be going on.

At times it pays to play dumb, stick to simple facts and act inquisitive. It can often lead to learning possible future plans for the lake in question. Seems to spark more interest in issues when they are approached by someone trying to gain knowledge from someone who noticed something concerning.

Just my opinion

I really appreciate the tips thanks! Will do. I’m a fish biologist so maybe they will listen a bit more or take me more seriously. That being said I’d be more inclined to word it like you says and be humble. Depending on who it is I might know them. Would you have any suggestion on who is the best person on this area? I can dig into that myself of course.

Smoky buck
03-25-2020, 09:19 AM
Yes exactly it’s a nice place to take kids as well

I really appreciate the tips thanks! Will do. I’m a fish biologist so maybe they will listen a bit more or take me more seriously. That being said I’d be more inclined to word it like you says and be humble. Depending on who it is I might know them. Would you have any suggestion on who is the best person on this area? I can dig into that myself of course.

Makes a big difference having a background for sure

I just moved back to Alberta this year after years away so can’t really help you there.

Epic_mango_27
11-23-2020, 09:37 AM
we where there on nov 21 2020 and no perch and 2 trout by the island each 10 or so inches, winterkill??:mad0100:

S_Mooj
11-24-2020, 07:05 PM
i was there this weekend, checked all around the lake with the camera for perch. didnt see one. got a dozens though. they were bigger than in years past.

S_Mooj
11-24-2020, 09:13 PM
dozen rainbows! sorry not perch