PDA

View Full Version : Had an interesting discussion regarding vehicle thefts. Key in or no.

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 06:42 PM
While returning from a 911 medical call we were talking about a neighbor losing his truck, right outside his door a couple miles out of town.

I said he should not have left his key in the truck. Another person said they would much rather have the truck drive away than someone coming in the house looking for keys.

For someone to get into my garage I would be informed in seconds, the cameras send notification. If they come into my house they have to break glass or kick in the door. I should hear them, I sleep light and the bedroom window is always open if it is not colder than -10c.

I am a lock it or lose it guy. I am going to commit to having better protection today though.

So, do you leave easy access so as not to be in that position, or lock everything up?

Twisted Canuck
03-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Everything locked. Vehicles. Doors. Gate to back yard. Exterior motion lights. Safes. And my dogs are even lighter sleepers than I am. Don't make it easy. And if all that doesn't stop someone from coming into my house, I guess I will introduce myself and see what they want so badly.

elkhunter11
03-22-2020, 06:52 PM
When I am home my vehicle is in my garage, and if anyone attempts to enter the garage, my four footed burger alarms will spring into action.

ak77
03-22-2020, 07:09 PM
When I am home my vehicle is in my garage, and if anyone attempts to enter the garage, my four footed burger alarms will spring into action.

I am trying really hard to picture in my mind a "for footed burger alarm"... Failing miserably, but from the description it seems like a useful gadget to have...

Wouldn't leaving the keys in the truck f...ck you over with insurance?

thumper
03-22-2020, 07:19 PM
After repeated and expensive vehicle break-ins, both on the street and in his apartments underground parking - my son never locked his vehicle. Where possible, he left his window open to make it very obvious that he had nothing of value inside.

huntinstuff
03-22-2020, 07:23 PM
My garage is attached so it is part of my house

Anyone found in there at night will be found in there the next morning

Dewey Cox
03-22-2020, 07:23 PM
I have a dodge, so I could leave it idling, with a bag of cash on the dash, and still no one will steal it. (And god knows they'll hear it, with that hemi tick and all...)

RandyBoBandy
03-22-2020, 07:32 PM

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

RandyBoBandy
03-22-2020, 07:34 PM
I was at the Italian Centre store downtown YEG yesterday, Maserati parked with front windows open. It was on the side of the store, not in front on 96 st :scared0018:

elkhunter11
03-22-2020, 07:35 PM
I am trying really hard to picture in my mind a "for footed burger alarm"... Failing miserably, but from the description it seems like a useful gadget to have...

Wouldn't leaving the keys in the truck f...ck you over with insurance?

Four footed burglar alarm, I never noticed that autocorrect changed the word. :)

I have three dogs that hear the garage doors open in my attached garage, and two of them head for the door to the garage barking every time. Unlike an electronic burglar alarm, you can't bypass them.

As for my keys, they are kept in the house, any would be thief that actually enters my home will have to content with three dogs, two of which will bite a stranger if I am not present. And if my truck is home, I likely am as well, and after dealing with the dogs, the thief will be facing much more serious opposition from me.

buckbrush
03-22-2020, 07:44 PM
I used to leave the keys in all the vehicles and the door unlocked unless we were sleeping (never had a key for the front door).

Over the years we have started to up our security and the keys come out of everything. Was a real PITA when we first started pulling keys out... Many walks from vehicles/equip to the house to get a key.

I do have an old jeep Cherokee that I never use. I once thought it could be fun to disable the windows and inside door latches,rig it up with about a half liter of fuel and leave the keys in the ignition. The next part of the plan would be bearspray on a short timer after the ignition was on. Fun to think about but I'd probably get arrested.

elkhunter11
03-22-2020, 07:51 PM
I used to leave the keys in all the vehicles and the door unlocked unless we were sleeping (never had a key for the front door).

Over the years we have started to up our security and the keys come out of everything. Was a real PITA when we first started pulling keys out... Many walks from vehicles/equip to the house to get a key.

I do have an old jeep Cherokee that I never use. I once thought it could be fun to disable the windows and inside door latches,rig it up with about a half liter of fuel and leave the keys in the ignition. The next part of the plan would be bearspray on a short timer after the ignition was on. Fun to think about but I'd probably get arrested.

Have the bear spray triggered by anyone sitting on the drivers seat, so they don't get a chance to start it, and drive off and cause an accident. It would be entertaining to stand and watch the scumbag trying to get out of the vehicle.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2020, 07:52 PM
I was at the Italian Centre store downtown YEG yesterday, Maserati parked with front windows open. It was on the side of the store, not in front on 96 st :scared0018:

'Sometimes you gotta leave the keys in the truck to get the insurance to make the truck payments'

Larry the Cable Guy :)

roper1
03-22-2020, 08:10 PM

If you would have got within 3 feet of it, the alarm going off would necessitate a wardrobe change:)

Not much in my truck, but I lock it anyhow.

Twisted Canuck
03-22-2020, 08:58 PM

And that is hospitality right there. My kind.

Cement Bench
03-23-2020, 07:20 AM
what is the official position of the insurance companies?

may depend on where you live, parked on the street, in your garage,

crime rate, small town, how close are the police,

would be nice to know how the insurance companies deal with this

WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW WHICH INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE
POLICIES ON A NUMBER OF THINGS

58thecat
03-23-2020, 07:37 AM
Yup....do you dip or scoop?

Ebrand
03-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Beware of Dog. It eats everything I shoot.

EZM
03-23-2020, 04:57 PM

And if I was on an acreage, I'd have a backhoe, and a bag of lime ready to go …… lol

Flanny
03-23-2020, 05:22 PM
I always left my jeep unlocked wherever I went as it was cheaper to have misc change etc stolen than to have the top cut so someone could open the door and find nothing. Tried to leave minimal items inside.

Flanny

IAMhunt
03-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Always secure your truck , always carry a big insurance policy

Sundog57
03-24-2020, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4132615]Four footed burglar alarm, I never noticed that autocorrect changed the word. :)

Unless yours are way better trained than mine you also have a four footed burger alarm
I can tell you without a shred of doubt that mine let me know, and quite enthusiastically, whenever there is a burger loose in the house

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2020, 09:35 AM
was raised by a father who locked everything....now i lock everything up.

Steel gate on driveway, padlocks on all buildings, monitored alarm, motion lights, cameras, locks on every trailer parked in the yard and a tactical 12 gauge locked up near my bed ready to roll if it hits the fan in hurry.

Its a bit of a pain at times but of all my neighbors I have not been hit and others have been robbed multiple times over the last ten years. My yard/home is a lot of work to steal from.

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2020, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4132615]Four footed burglar alarm, I never noticed that autocorrect changed the word. :)

Unless yours are way better trained than mine you also have a four footed burger alarm
I can tell you without a shred of doubt that mine let me know, and quite enthusiastically, whenever there is a burger loose in the house

HAHAHA!!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Way too good lol

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2020, 09:40 AM
was raised by a father who locked everything....now i lock everything up.

Steel gate on driveway, padlocks on all buildings, monitored alarm, motion lights, cameras, locks on every trailer parked in the yard and a tactical 12 gauge locked up near my bed ready to roll if it hits the fan in hurry.

Its a bit of a pain at times but of all my neighbors I have not been hit and others have been robbed multiple times over the last ten years. My yard/home is a lot of work to steal from.

Smart.

I have been going over things here, looking for weak points. The worst one I found is the man door in the garage. I am certain a kid could kick it in. I am thinking of screwing it shut completely and plywood over the frame from the inside. I have all windows covered so nobody can see in, and lots of motion sensing cameras inside and out.

I really wish we had an attack lion.

Deezel
03-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Smart.

I have been going over things here, looking for weak points. The worst one I found is the man door in the garage. I am certain a kid could kick it in. I am thinking of screwing it shut completely and plywood over the frame from the inside. I have all windows covered so nobody can see in, and lots of motion sensing cameras inside and out.

Tibetan mastiff, I'd say it's close enough....

https://i.imgur.com/RIVuXCx.jpg

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Smart.

I have been going over things here, looking for weak points. The worst one I found is the man door in the garage. I am certain a kid could kick it in.

I build doors for a living. An inswing door with a wood frame CAN be booted in by a child your are correct.

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2020, 10:18 AM

YES!!! :happy0034:

I build doors for a living. An inswing door with a wood frame CAN be booted in by a child your are correct.

The other thing I did was park the forklift up against the door if we were gone. Kick for all you are worth lol. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2020, 10:25 AM
The other thing I did was park the forklift up against the door if we were gone. Kick for all you are worth lol. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I dont wish a break in upon you...but should this happen I hope there is surveillance footage for you to share lol

elkhunter11
03-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Smart.

My garage is attached, with no man door, except to my house. The only window , is very narrow, and would require a ladder to look in, and if you broke it to gain access, you would find access blocked by a shelving unit, if you could squeeze through the narrow window.

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2020, 10:39 AM
I dont wish a break in upon you...but should this happen I hope there is surveillance footage for you to share lol

That's the only time the cameras won't be recording. For some odd unknown reason lol

elkhunter11
03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
That's the only time the cameras won't be recording. For some odd unknown reason lol

Exactly, the thief fell down several times officer, he must have been drunk. He fell so hard, his head went through the drywall twice. I never laid a hand on him.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2020, 10:47 AM

The clinton effect....nice

Stinky Buffalo
03-24-2020, 10:54 AM

You could always look into one of these (https://www.amazon.com/SEE-SAFE-Holder-Security-Brackets-Boards/dp/B07R4BP9SR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=2x4+door+barricade+brackets&qid=1585068582&sr=8-2).

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71gKRD3uPlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Definiely better than nothing, and will still allow you to use the door for egress in an emergency.

Bah, who am I kidding? Knowing you, you could have one of these fabbed up by lunchtime. :sHa_shakeshout:

Au revoir, Gopher
03-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Good lord! You would have to have weekly break-ins to keep that thing fed! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

ARG

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2020, 11:40 AM
Exactly, the thief fell down several times officer, he must have been drunk. He fell so hard, his head went through the drywall twice. I never laid a hand on him.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The bullet holes were in him when he got here! That's not blood splatter, its modern art!

jrowan
03-24-2020, 12:05 PM
I have a dodge, so I could leave it idling, with a bag of cash on the dash, and still no one will steal it. (And god knows they'll hear it, with that hemi tick and all...)

I drive older cars and let me tell you at a certain point you have to be more worried about them stealing the plate!

Jamie Black R/T
03-25-2020, 09:13 AM
You could always look into one of these (https://www.amazon.com/SEE-SAFE-Holder-Security-Brackets-Boards/dp/B07R4BP9SR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=2x4+door+barricade+brackets&qid=1585068582&sr=8-2).

Those work well but only on outswinging doors and really should be a heavy gauge steel commercial door.

the white residential steel doors are literally just foam where you would attach those brackets.

Stinky Buffalo
03-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Those work well but only on outswinging doors and really should be a heavy gauge steel commercial door.

the white residential steel doors are literally just foam where you would attach those brackets.

Absolutely! And definitely better than nothing. I have used them in several applications, and with good reinforcement.

At the very least, it makes the vermin work harder to get in, and if there's anything they hate, it's work. :D

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2020, 09:55 AM
I happen to have some 3/4" plywood kicking around, might just attach it around the door on the inside, IF we get into panic mode at some point.
As is when I am here nearly all the time and all the cameras are working I am not horribly worried. I will know where they are long before they know where I am. Also if need be I will park the forklift against the door inside, the couldn't move it with a truck. I could park the payloader infront of the garage doors too if required.

(not to sound like an infomercial, but)

the cameras I have send instant notification of motion or sound. I can walk out where they do not see me, and keep an eye on them with my phone as I go out.

I did this with deer under the deck the other day, was very interesting walking around corners knowing where they were and how alert they were before I was anywhere near them. I got to a corner 2' away from her and she never heard or smelled me.

Mine are d-link (inside), motorola hubble (outside,junk) and amazon TOMLOV(outside) which are just excellent; great range, very fast pan tilt plus zoom, great ir capabilities and full color night vision with white lights you can turn on or off/auto. Under $100

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07T8FZTQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

does it ALL outdoors
03-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Pretty brave for that area of town.

I was in that area yesterday afternoon, see the guy on stilts riding his 15' tall bike?

The things you see in that area....

As to the OP, Lock it or loose it. And don't cry about it if you leave your doors open, or keys in the ignition, you forfeit that right.

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2020, 06:13 PM
As to the OP, Lock it or loose it. And don't cry about it if you leave your doors open, or keys in the ignition, you forfeit that right.

loose it? there is something to tighten?

but seriously you missed the point.

People said they would rather leave it unlocked and keys in so the bad guys dont come in the house and kill them to get keys. The question was do you lock it so they smash in or leave it open so they find out there is nothing to steal?

There is no crying.

Also, the act of theft of personal property, criminal trespass and so on is illegal so there is no forfeiting anything.

Or are you just looking to argue?

does it ALL outdoors
03-25-2020, 07:05 PM
loose it? there is something to tighten?

but seriously you missed the point.

People said they would rather leave it unlocked and keys in so the bad guys dont come in the house and kill them to get keys. The question was do you lock it so they smash in or leave it open so they find out there is nothing to steal?

There is no crying.

Also, the act of theft of personal property, criminal trespass and so on is illegal so there is no forfeiting anything.

Or are you just looking to argue?

No, I'm never looking to argue.

By steal I meant the vehicle or any of its contents, if you leave your vehicle doors open and have something stolen out of it or the vehicle itself stolen don't wine about it like we all see online from time to time. On another forum I'm on someone living in rural Ab just had his truck swiped, he kept the keys right in the ignition, and was fishing for some sympathy. I told him he can't cry about it when you leave the keys right in it, apparently I'm insensitive to his victim hood :confused: That's the no crying part.

Like anything, if they want it bad enough they will get it be it breaking into the house to get the keys or whatever means they use. No reason to make things easy on the scumbags, the more layers of protection the better.

The days of just locking the doors are long gone, now it's about how difficult you can make it on them, possibly getting them to abandon trying to steal your stuff and look for a softer target. Never understood the just leave it open tactic to fight theft, but to each their own.

Great to see these kinds of threads dealing with personal security and people taking it seriously.

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2020, 07:53 PM
No, I'm never looking to argue.

By steal I meant the vehicle or any of its contents, if you leave your vehicle doors open and have something stolen out of it or the vehicle itself stolen don't wine about it like we all see online from time to time. On another forum I'm on someone living in rural Ab just had his truck swiped, he kept the keys right in the ignition, and was fishing for some sympathy. I told him he can't cry about it when you leave the keys right in it, apparently I'm insensitive to his victim hood :confused: That's the no crying part.

Like anything, if they want it bad enough they will get it be it breaking into the house to get the keys or whatever means they use. No reason to make things easy on the scumbags, the more layers of protection the better.

The days of just locking the doors are long gone, now it's about how difficult you can make it on them, possibly getting them to abandon trying to steal your stuff and look for a softer target. Never understood the just leave it open tactic to fight theft, but to each their own.

Great to see these kinds of threads dealing with personal security and people taking it seriously.

Thats actually the reason for the thread, I was calling the guy an idiot that left the keys in his truck and it was stolen. The others in the vehicle said they would do that every time to keep idiots from breaking into their house.

Ken07AOVette
08-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Found out interesting information from the RCMP here.

Thieves are walking around taking pics of VINS through the windshield. Then they call a inside buddy at the dealership that cuts them a key. Dirty bastards.

Such a simple almost elegant way to steal vehicles.

riden
08-04-2021, 05:22 PM

Thieves are walking around taking pics of VINS through the windshield. Then they call a inside buddy at the dealership that cuts them a key. Dirty bastards.

I just read that recently too.

The article had the suggestion you put electric tape or similar over your VIN.

Smokinyotes
08-04-2021, 05:31 PM
We have been broke into twice so I’m a little paranoid now. I leave my vehicles in the shop locked and the keys in the house. If I’m not in my shop it’s locked and the alarm set.

Ken07AOVette
08-04-2021, 06:19 PM

I still have to do that

WolfmanAB
08-04-2021, 06:38 PM

If you have a push button start vehicle they carry a reader of some type in parking lots/stores and grab your frequency, get fob done at dealership and take your vehicle. The answer is a faraday pouch from amazon that blocks all signals.

HeavyD111
08-04-2021, 10:36 PM
My tiny town of 800ish had almost no theft to speak of over the past 4 years...but over the last 6 months something happened and now its just nuts.
-Drunk ****ed all over the atm and passed out in the lobby
-cars, trailers, broken into, sheds, all hit often
-couple days ago some idiot drove a car through a fence and abandoned it.

Yeah, now I lock everything whereas I often used to forget to, and never keys inside anymore.

Cant believe how drastic the change has been...its like a whole different place.

7magtime
08-05-2021, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up on that Ken.
I had heard that in another thread a couple weeks ago and slid a piece of paper between the moulding and front window on my F-150, sure doesn't hurt anything to be diligent deterring the POS's that are doing this....

ren008
08-05-2021, 08:35 AM
My tiny town of 800ish had almost no theft to speak of over the past 4 years...but over the last 6 months something happened and now its just nuts.
-Drunk ****ed all over the atm and passed out in the lobby
-cars, trailers, broken into, sheds, all hit often
-couple days ago some idiot drove a car through a fence and abandoned it.

Yeah, now I lock everything whereas I often used to forget to, and never keys inside anymore.

Cant believe how drastic the change has been...its like a whole different place.

It only takes one new loser family/welfare/meth-house in a town that size to mess things up. Then they start bringing their buddies around and it all goes to hell.

Find out who is new around and who rented them a place to stay and most of the time you will have your answer right quick. Getting them to leave after getting comfortable for 6 months is the challenge.

bezzola
08-05-2021, 09:20 AM
Does insurance cover if the keys are left in the vehicle or its left running say outside a store

Sooner
08-05-2021, 09:31 AM

You can just use a piece of cardboard from a cracker type box too. Just slide it over the vin plate. If you need to see it, pull it away, put it back when out of the vehicle. It is inside so the punks can't move it.

Ken07AOVette
08-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Does insurance cover if the keys are left in the vehicle or its left running say outside a store

Mine does yours may not. Best to check with your insurer

Fish along
08-05-2021, 09:59 AM
I had my truck stolen last fall, no keys in it but they managed to get it started,which is probably pretty easy with older models....Now i have theft on it and only had liability on it before,and lock all the doors..Im still not sure if ill be better off if it gets stolen again,wont the insurance rip me off?Is theft treated differently than accidents by insurance?

Ken07AOVette
08-05-2021, 10:06 AM
I had my truck stolen last fall, no keys in it but they managed to get it started,which is probably pretty easy with older models....Now i have theft on it and only had liability on it before,and lock all the doors..Im still not sure if ill be better off if it gets stolen again,wont the insurance rip me off?Is theft treated differently than accidents by insurance?

The biggest thing is you have to prove the value of the item stolen. I have current pictures of all my vehicles, each corner, rims tires, interior, honestly because I was looking at getting a new truck, but good to have.
Then you have to show replacement cost which right now is so elevated the insurance companies cringe and hang onto the little bluebook like it is the Bible. 2 years ago my 2012 f350 lariat was about $26,000 on trade, with 54000km. Today I am getting $55,000 with 108000 km.

Yes they will treat it differently. They can't sell the crashed one to make up costs, and most people can't prove the value of the stolen one.

I would show current pics, then scour the net for the same vehicle for sale and produce many to the adjuster.

It also depends on if you pay for replacement value.

pintailslammer
08-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Ken
Doesn't matter if its locked know
Son was stolen last fall, Both sets of keys in our house.
Sh*t heads had scoped it out, Got a key just from the sn and drove it out of the yard. Never heard them fire it up as kid had to park across street as some college kid was parked in his regular spot
These thieves know what there doing
But we lock everything up
Just can't wait to catch one sometime but we'd be charged before they would

Pin

Ebrand
08-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Ken
Doesn't matter if its locked know
Son was stolen last fall, Both sets of keys in our house.
Sh*t heads had scoped it out, Got a key just from the sn and drove it out of the yard. Never heard them fire it up as kid had to park across street as some college kid was parked in his regular spot
These thieves know what there doing
But we lock everything up
Just can't wait to catch one sometime but we'd be charged before they would

Pin

5 bucks says the car parked in his spot is related to to the theft.

fishnguy
08-06-2021, 12:54 AM
The biggest thing is you have to prove the value of the item stolen. I have current pictures of all my vehicles, each corner, rims tires, interior, honestly because I was looking at getting a new truck, but good to have.
Then you have to show replacement cost which right now is so elevated the insurance companies cringe and hang onto the little bluebook like it is the Bible. 2 years ago my 2012 f350 lariat was about $26,000 on trade, with 54000km. Today I am getting $55,000 with 108000 km.

Yes they will treat it differently. They can't sell the crashed one to make up costs, and most people can't prove the value of the stolen one.

I would show current pics, then scour the net for the same vehicle for sale and produce many to the adjuster.

It also depends on if you pay for replacement value.
Sounds like thieves are on both sides, lol.

Side note, if a stranger from another first world country (except for the US, perhaps) read through this thread, he’d probably never have guessed it’s about Canada. And neither would a dude from the third world (or a developing nation); he’d think it sounds like home.