PDA

View Full Version : Support

gramps73
03-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Has anything been said about financial support from the government.

I know that the US has talked about support to all but have not heard anything about what is happening in Canada

As single dad it would be nice to know

nast70
03-23-2020, 11:19 AM
info Gov of AB website, Gov of Can website.
Some general stuff, some plans are still being rolled out.

buckbrush
03-23-2020, 11:22 AM
I did read a headline saying they have announced a 305 million dollar package for First Nations.

gramps73
03-23-2020, 11:25 AM
we all need help in one way or anther

lots about corporate bail outs but nothing on personal

AndrewM
03-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Here’s some data I received:
Federal:
Flexibility for Taxpayers –individual tax return filing deadline extended to June 1, 2020. CRA is also allowing taxpayers to defer, until Aug 31, 2020 the payment of any income tax amounts owing today or after today and before Sept 2020
Mortage & Credit Default Management Tools –Canadian banks have agreed to support a 6-month deferral for mortgages and the opportunity to work with them for relief on other credit products.
Most Canadian financial institutions already have forms in place on their websites for clients to request assistance. That’s the best place to start.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html

Alberta:
Utility payment holiday – residential, farm, and small commercial customers can defer bill payments for the next 90 days to ensure no one will be cut off from these services during this time of crisis. This will cover electricity and natural gas, regardless of the service provider. Call your provider to arrange deferral.
Student loan repayment deferral –six-month, interest free, moratorium on AB student loan payments.
https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-supports-for-albertans.aspx

gramps73
03-23-2020, 11:31 AM
thanks Andrew

Scott N
03-23-2020, 11:32 AM
I saw a news piece this morning on either CTV or Global, and the person that they were interviewing was saying that his bank seemed to be a bit reluctant to allow a delay on his mortgage payment, they wanted some sort of proof that he was in financial distress.

All this financial assistance all sounds good on paper, hopefully all parties involved can actually deliver the funds and it's just not politicians promising the world to potential voters.

AndrewM
03-23-2020, 11:35 AM
It’s the government. Doubt anything will be fast. Seems to be mostly deferrals right now. Helps if you have a job to go back to. Not so good otherwise.

mooseknuckle
03-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Just talked to RBC, 6 month grace period on my companies loan. I have to still pay the interest but this will really help. Took 5 minutes.

gramps73
03-23-2020, 11:42 AM
it sounds like it will be a case by case. I would hope that something is done sooner then later. bills don't pay themselves

AndrewM
03-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Just talked to RBC, 6 month grace period on my companies loan. I have to still pay the interest but this will really help. Took 5 minutes.

Awesome they did that!

buckbrush
03-23-2020, 12:10 PM

That's great to hear! Can't imagine the pressure this would take off for a business owner facing this situation.