PDA

View Full Version : New Fishing Education Program released today

PeterSL
03-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Just announced:
To complement the release of new sport fishing regulations, and in recognition of the fact many Albertans are self-isolating in light of COVID-19, the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association is making its eight-module Alberta Fishing Education Program available online for free.

“Many Albertans are practising physical distancing right now, so what better time to learn about our province’s wildlife? Our partners at AHEIA have generously offered to make the new Alberta Fishing Education Program available free of charge, and we hope Albertans – kids and adults – will take advantage of this opportunity. I recently took the course along with my two youngest children, and the three of us learned so much about the aquatic biodiversity of our province!”

Jason Nixon, Minister of Environment and Parks

“Given the current set of circumstances everyone is dealing with, we feel now is the perfect time to release the Alberta Fishing Education Program for free, so that all Albertans – young and old – can take advantage of this extra time they may have found themselves with while they self-isolate or quarantine at home away from school and work.”

Robert Gruszecki, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association

The Alberta Fishing Education Program is the only program of its kind offered in North America. Its aim, beyond providing essential education about fishing in Alberta, is to provide confidence through understanding to better enable more people to responsibly spend time in the outdoors and enjoy and preserve our province’s most beautiful wild places and wildlife.

AHEIA is a not-for-profit organization that works to educate the public on the importance of protecting the places and wildlife cherished by Albertans. AHEIA is the only registered charity in Alberta that provides this type of conservation and outdoor education to the public and has done so since 1964.

Related information
Alberta Fishing Education Program
https://319.yssecure.com/cart_builder.cfm?ProductID=60179

WayneChristie
03-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Just announced:
To complement the release of new sport fishing regulations, and in recognition of the fact many Albertans are self-isolating in light of COVID-19, the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association is making its eight-module Alberta Fishing Education Program available online for free.

“Many Albertans are practising physical distancing right now, so what better time to learn about our province’s wildlife? Our partners at AHEIA have generously offered to make the new Alberta Fishing Education Program available free of charge, and we hope Albertans – kids and adults – will take advantage of this opportunity. I recently took the course along with my two youngest children, and the three of us learned so much about the aquatic biodiversity of our province!”

Jason Nixon, Minister of Environment and Parks

“Given the current set of circumstances everyone is dealing with, we feel now is the perfect time to release the Alberta Fishing Education Program for free, so that all Albertans – young and old – can take advantage of this extra time they may have found themselves with while they self-isolate or quarantine at home away from school and work.”

Robert Gruszecki, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association

The Alberta Fishing Education Program is the only program of its kind offered in North America. Its aim, beyond providing essential education about fishing in Alberta, is to provide confidence through understanding to better enable more people to responsibly spend time in the outdoors and enjoy and preserve our province’s most beautiful wild places and wildlife.

AHEIA is a not-for-profit organization that works to educate the public on the importance of protecting the places and wildlife cherished by Albertans. AHEIA is the only registered charity in Alberta that provides this type of conservation and outdoor education to the public and has done so since 1964.

Related information
Alberta Fishing Education Program

:sHa_shakeshout: a great idea, I hope a lot of people take advantage of the offer!

old dog
03-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Perfect. Will get the grandkids on it

ghostguy6
03-28-2020, 03:22 PM
I just finished it in case they ever make it mandatory to get a license. I think any one of us should be able to complete the final exam without studying the material. Its a very basic course. Its an ok course for anyone just starting out fishing but its no replacement for a good mentor.

smitty9
03-28-2020, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't say it's "very" basic. It does require fish ID which I like, and a section on laws and ethics. Lots and lots of people struggle with fish ID, and more than a few could use some pointers on laws and ethics. Yeah, of course nothing replaces a mentor, goes without saying really.

It think it is a decent, introductory course. Pretty solid effort in fact with enough basic thoroughness that covers lots of topics. It can always be tweaked later.

Passed it this morning without studying really; you can go to each section's summary and take the quiz and then take the final exam. Looking forward to getting my "low" numbered certificate, haha.

But the best of part of this course is the overall direction this is trending in.

Hunters have to properly ID their prey why not anglers?

In my mind, this course should be mandatory for people who want to retain fish in the province. Or, at least introduce it via some version of a stamp system for anglers that want to fish flowing waters along the Eastern Slopes.

I applied to be an instructor as well.

About time this program came back; it has been dormant for years.

BushNinja
03-29-2020, 03:38 PM
I like it, I think everyone should have to take these courses.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Ncameron
03-29-2020, 04:38 PM
I just started reviewing the material today. Great move to make it free while we are all stuck inside before the fishing season really gets going. Hopefully quite a few people will jump at this opportunity to refresh themselves on the rules which will mean less enforcement issues through the summer.

Don Andersen
03-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Folks,

The Hunter Training guys have put together a real good educational program c/w an exam and certificate.
AND ITS FREE!!!!!!! Not sure how that happened but my hat off to those that made this possible.

It took me about 3 hours to do the program and answer the questions.

This type of program has been requested by many individuals and fishing groups for many years. Clear evidence exists many anglers do not do fish identification well making species management all but impossible.

https://319.yssecure.com/cart_builde...roductID=60179
Hint, look to the right side and click FREE.

Have fun,

Don

pdog15
04-01-2020, 11:45 PM
Just registered for the program - finished module 1 and went through module 2 (identification). As someone who at best is a very casual angler, I’m finding it very interesting and will spend some more time before doing the module self test. Kudos to the people who put this together - easy reading, great color photography, and lots of information. Would be great for young people to work on as they are housebound these days - and save $40 to boot.

WillyOneStyle
04-02-2020, 12:42 AM
I did the program too. I knew all that stuff, but it was a change from doing very little and good pictures.
I did the hunter course with them years ago, but might do it again for the hell of it for something to do.
I bought the sheep hunting course last night for $15. It was very well done. Again, I had already been taught a lot of what was in there, but this gave some incredible, textbook style photographic examples of how to identify and age big horn sheep.

-Will

ghostguy6
04-18-2020, 12:00 PM
I received my card in the mail yesterday. I was a little surprised to find it was printed on paper card stock like a business card rather than the plastic like the hunters ed course. They did include a # 7 or 8 Len Thompson as well as some info leaflets about Whirling Disease and Prussian Carp.

TheHotChili
04-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Just announced:
To complement the release of new sport fishing regulations, and in recognition...

Thanks for the heads up.

barbless
04-23-2020, 10:54 AM
I received my card in the mail yesterday. I was a little surprised to find it was printed on paper card stock like a business card rather than the plastic like the hunters ed course. They did include a # 7 or 8 Len Thompson as well as some info leaflets about Whirling Disease and Prussian Carp.

I as well got my paper card and certificate in the mail on the 22 of April. Wonder what an advanced course would be like? I will take my card to work and laminate it. Frame the certificate and put it up on my sports wall by my 7.9 lb Big Mouth. I kinda like the little Len Thompson spoon they sent. Still in the pack but it appears to be like my handle "BARBLESS" :sHa_shakeshout: If you haven't done so yet check it out.

Stinky Buffalo
04-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Very cool! Will have to look into this.

pinelakeperch
04-23-2020, 11:42 AM
It was pretty basic, but I'd be surprised if there was anyone who didn't learn at least a few tidbits.

barbless
04-23-2020, 12:22 PM
It was pretty basic, but I'd be surprised if there was anyone who didn't learn at least a few tidbits.

The younger might learn some rules. And I'm sure some not so educated in fishing and fisheries would. Took me a lot of years of fishing to acquire some knowledge but always abided by them (grandpa taught me well). Yes it is basic but maybe reminds us of basic things we should know.
I think NIKE said it best "JUST DO IT" and I refer of course to another quote, “What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?”

Sigmet
04-30-2020, 12:16 PM
I liked it, good refresher and got the mind working again!