PDA

View Full Version : Barking dog problem,your thoughts.

Fish along
03-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Its just about time to get outside and hopefully enjoy some sunshine and planting but my neighbor has a Rottweiler that barks unending all day long and it's become extremely annoying, I have approached the owner in the past ,but I'm afraid he hasn't done anything helpful to alleviate the problem, so now I'm at my wits end as to what to do.Anyone have this problem or have an idea what to do about this? Thanks for any responses.

obsessed1
03-28-2020, 11:30 AM
You might check into noise bylaws to see if there is any Infractions...other than that I don't think there is much you can do.

204ruger
03-28-2020, 11:36 AM
I heard a story once that ground up dieffenbachia plant mixed into ground beef and cooked the thrown over the fence will stop a dogs bark for a few days when eaten. Just heard from a friend of a friend.

fishtank
03-28-2020, 11:37 AM
you have a bad neighbour problem , its either you moved or he moved . You have told him about the problem in the pass and it has not been corrected, slim chance it will be corrected anytime soon .

Lefty Bryan
03-28-2020, 11:38 AM
There are those electronic bark deterrent devices, some look innocuous enough like bird houses and such. No idea on effectiveness but I’ve been toying with the idea myself as a few of our neighbours dogs bark incessantly to the point we can’t let our dog out as she tends to join in. Perfectly quiet outside until the other dogs start up then we have to haul her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tri777
03-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Throw a speaker outside, volume up..give it a 12hr shot, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyh0aaJo9Nc

elkhunter11
03-28-2020, 11:51 AM
I had to call bylaw once for a similar problem, and one visit from the officer completely ended the problem. The officer stopped in to let me know that he explained to the owner, that if he had any more complaints, the first fine could be $250, and it would climb significantly with each visit, up to a maximum of $2500, for a third offense. A coworker lived in a nearby village, with no bylaw to resolve the issue, and he told me that exlax quieted his neighbors dog down significantly.

drake
03-28-2020, 11:55 AM
I’m dealing with the same thing. Neighbors beagle barks and howls every time it goes outside. Being a shift worker and having a young family with an earlyish bedtime makes it very disruptive. I have talked my neighbor on several occasions and there has been no effort on their part. I documented the noise for a few weeks and finally called bylaw. They issued a warning. The next time I call they will issue a fine. Just last week I let them know that I will be placing another call if the situation doesn’t improve by April 1. I gave them links to YouTube videos with training instructions to deal with barking and recommended a bark collar. Still hearing the barking....my efforts fell on deaf ears.

We are getting a puppy in a couple weeks and I think that will really set the beagle off. I will not tolerate barking from my dog.

Justfishin73
03-28-2020, 11:58 AM
There are those electronic bark deterrent devices, some look innocuous enough like bird houses and such. No idea on effectiveness but I’ve been toying with the idea myself as a few of our neighbours dogs bark incessantly to the point we can’t let our dog out as she tends to join in. Perfectly quiet outside until the other dogs start up then we have to haul her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these and they work well, until the dog learns the range that is

HunterDave
03-28-2020, 12:01 PM
I just went through this with our neighbour and thankfully it has been rectified after a couple of years of us being VERY tolerant. It came to a head a few weeks ago when the husband put his three dogs out at 11 pm and forgot about them. They barked for about an hour straight wanting to get back into the house. The Wives had a chat and I took the husband aside and had a heart to heart with him. I explained to him that we had been very tolerant of his dogs but it was past that point and it was really effecting our quality of life negatively. They went out and bought some bark collars and stopped leaving their dogs out for long periods of time. Both of our lives have improved dramatically.

Thankfully we were able to rectify the situation with just a heart to heart talk. I let him know that I wasn't going to be tolerant of it anymore, without being confrontational, and in a round about way let him know that I'd take whatever action that I felt necessary to correct things (ie. getting bylaw involved). I'd suggest doing the same and if it continues, submit a complaint to bylaw. Some people need more of a kick in the arse to do what's necessary and if they start getting tickets for their barking dog so be it.

4extreme
03-28-2020, 12:02 PM
are you right next to the neighbour...I had a similar problem. the neighbours dogs barked at me and my family when I left or came home. I gave them treats for a about three weeks almost everyday. they stopped barking at us and now only bark at other people. I don't mine them barking at passerby`s and it helps with the unwanted people in our neighbourhood.

Grizzly Adams
03-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Record the bark and play it back at 3 in the morning. :lol:

Grizz

liar
03-28-2020, 12:41 PM
i know your pain . there are a couple dogs up the road that bark from about 1 am till 5 am almost every night . talked to the owner several times but they dont see it as a problem so it continues . bylaw enforcement doesnt want to get involved . i dread it as spring is coming and its nice to sleep with the windows open for fresh air . if you come up with a solution let us know , please .

i will check out the electronic deterrents mentioned but they may not have enough reach .

EZM
03-28-2020, 01:01 PM
I just went through this with our neighbour and thankfully it has been rectified after a couple of years of us being VERY tolerant. It came to a head a few weeks ago when the husband put his three dogs out at 11 pm and forgot about them. They barked for about an hour straight wanting to get back into the house. The Wives had a chat and I took the husband aside and had a heart to heart with him. I explained to him that we had been very tolerant of his dogs but it was past that point and it was really effecting our quality of life negatively. They went out and bought some bark collars and stopped leaving their dogs out for long periods of time. Both of our lives have improved dramatically.

Thankfully we were able to rectify the situation with just a heart to heart talk. I let him know that I wasn't going to be tolerant of it anymore, without being confrontational, and in a round about way let him know that I'd take whatever action that I felt necessary to correct things (ie. getting bylaw involved). I'd suggest doing the same and if it continues, submit a complaint to bylaw. Some people need more of a kick in the arse to do what's necessary and if they start getting tickets for their barking dog so be it.

This is the best advice here.

Discuss first.

If it doesn't rectify the issue, seek Bylaw.

Throwing anything over the fence to drug/feed a dog could be an escalation you don't want/need in your life. It could lead to legal and criminal issues for yourself.

Perhaps worse, Violent retaliation, because many pet owners will protect their dogs as one would their children. What would happen if your neighbor offered your kids candy and they ate it and became lethargic (and albeit much quieter) .... ??? what actions would you take? For the contributors who suggested that ..... I'd say think about it for a minute.

Sitting Bull
03-28-2020, 01:04 PM
I have the same problem, 4 huge dogs.And I mean huge. Very frustrating.

caged
03-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Report them... It is simple.

58thecat
03-28-2020, 02:07 PM
yup...call bylaw officer....

204ruger
03-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Discuss first.

Throwing anything over the fence to drug/feed a dog could be an escalation you don't want/need in your life. It could lead to legal and criminal issues for yourself.

Perhaps worse, Violent retaliation, because many pet owners will protect their dogs as one would their children. What would happen if your neighbor offered your kids candy and they ate it and became lethargic (and albeit much quieter) .... ??? what actions would you take? For the contributors who suggested that ..... I'd say think about it for a minute.

Sorry I guess I struck a feeling, it was a joke! I guess with all the other sarcasm and joking that goes on in the forum I was mistaken that this is very much a serious place and no room for a simple joke to be taken as one.

Please everyone that’s reading this and can’t pick out a joke when you read it. please don’t take my comment about the dieffenbachia plant seriously.
It was simply something someone told me about when I lived next to a barking dog and I saw it as a joke.

DiabeticKripple
03-28-2020, 03:35 PM
Step 1: talk to the owners, see if things change.

Step 2: if things don’t change, call bylaw

Step 3: if things still don’t change, call bylaw

Step 4: repeat step 3

Tungsten,
03-28-2020, 04:12 PM
I have a similar problem around my house. Over the years petitions have been signed endless complaints and dog still barks. It has decreased in length now though. Which shows the owners are at least trying to do something but it shouldn’t have gotten to this in the first place. Bad owners bad dogs.

EZM
03-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Sorry I guess I struck a feeling, it was a joke! I guess with all the other sarcasm and joking that goes on in the forum I was mistaken that this is very much a serious place and no room for a simple joke to be taken as one.

Please everyone that’s reading this and can’t pick out a joke when you read it. please don’t take my comment about the dieffenbachia plant seriously.
It was simply something someone told me about when I lived next to a barking dog and I saw it as a joke.

LOL - seriously? I actually wasn't that "hurt feelings" as you think - I just thought it was a stupid comment. And now YOU are giving ME a hard time on this ??? Now I'm actually kind of annoyed.

If you wanted it to be perceived as a joke, add a smiley face or say your kidding - to blame this on people not taking your comments as joke as a joke when nothing was implied .......... maybe think about that for one second. How does ANYONE know that?

Don't start giving me the gears on this because of you putting your own foot in your own mouth - so take ownership for it and stop deflecting.

If all you said is "sorry meant it as a joke" all would have been cool - but instead it's my fault ...... solid gold thinking there bud.

Grow up and take ownership.

spoiledsaskhunter
03-28-2020, 08:11 PM
......had a friend with one of those really good sling shots and a bag of marbles.....dogs learn really quickly!

no joke; he really did use it.

Mavrick
03-28-2020, 09:49 PM
So many dogs with bad owners these days. We have let the canine species down and have turned them into spoiled brats. Owner should teach him there's a time to bark and a time to shut the he!! up. You should tell your neighbour to lead his pack, not be a bitch in it. ( well.. forget what I said, better to call by law, I live in the country with no neighbours around so might be bad advice, also I have had a few Scotch, and shouldn't be giving any advice right now. :scared0018:)

mediumrare
03-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Went through this firsthand a few years back.had good neighbors no problems UNTIL they got a great Pyrenees’s pup.to make a very long story short dog barked day and night through their open window at night every night.the neighbors were on welfare so they kept funny hours and the barking didn’t seem to bother them.other neighbors and ourselves complained to the town court appearances because the dog jumped the fence and bit a lady mowing grass at the church across the road.ended up selling our house and moving.what a nightmare.to the OP either move or stay on’good’terms with your neighbors so that if something should happen to the dog the fingers not pointing at you.

BC7stw
03-29-2020, 07:20 AM
Lived in three different houses in the last 30 years. Only neighbor problems I’ve had have been dog problems. Friend once said, if it wasn’t for dog problems neighbors wouldn’t have anything to fight about. There is some truth to that I think.

Bylaws are great, however, in the Prince George and area, they aren’t enforced. Bylaw isn’t much good if it has no teeth. We live just outside the city, no specific bylaw for dogs, some very frustrated people in my area.

RandyBoBandy
03-29-2020, 07:27 AM
So many dogs with bad owners these days. We have let the canine species down and have turned them into spoiled brats. Owner should teach him there's a time to bark and a time to shut the he!! up. You should tell your neighbour to lead his pack, not be a bitch in it. ( well.. forget what I said, better to call by law, I live in the country with no neighbours around so might be bad advice, also I have had a few Scotch, and shouldn't be giving any advice right now. :scared0018:)

Bang on !! Unfortunately they've done it their own kids :mad0030:

Sundancefisher
03-29-2020, 07:47 AM
LOL - seriously? I actually wasn't that "hurt feelings" as you think - I just thought it was a stupid comment. And now YOU are giving ME a hard time on this ??? Now I'm actually kind of annoyed.

If you wanted it to be perceived as a joke, add a smiley face or say your kidding - to blame this on people not taking your comments as joke as a joke when nothing was implied .......... maybe think about that for one second. How does ANYONE know that?

Don't start giving me the gears on this because of you putting your own foot in your own mouth - so take ownership for it and stop deflecting.

If all you said is "sorry meant it as a joke" all would have been cool - but instead it's my fault ...... solid gold thinking there bud.

Grow up and take ownership.

X2

sewerrat
03-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Our neighbours 2 doors down have 2 dogs, they bark constantly, I talked to the neighbour, he basically told to mind my own business, ok fine I tried but then my immediate neighbour called by law, and the dogs have been super quiet.

Grizzly Adams
03-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Step 1: talk to the owners, see if things change.

Step 2: if things don’t change, call bylaw

Step 3: if things still don’t change, call bylaw

Step 4: repeat step 3

We have a dog problem here. The County got a court order requiring them to mend their ways. didn't help. The neighbors are still shooting their dogs and another court appearance is scheduled. some very frustrated people in the neighborhood.

Grizz

Abomb177
03-29-2020, 08:32 AM
We had the same issue when we lived in town. Bought 2 birdhouse bark deterrents that you can turn up the sensitivity and put them along the fence. That dog learned very fast and was no longer a issue. Check them out on amazon. They work great.

Fish along
03-29-2020, 12:05 PM
Well I'm not really happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem, it seems to be widespread.However though I'll be using some of your ideas to maybe fix this very annoying situation. The dog in question is on a leash right at the property line, which makes his barking as loud as it can be. This birdhouse device that was mentioned on hear seems to be the way to go. I like dogs and would not consider harming it .Thank you for your replies they are much appreciated. PS ..I'll contact the bylaw officer if I can't fix it another way.

Muller
03-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Its just about time to get outside and hopefully enjoy some sunshine and planting but my neighbor has a Rottweiler that barks unending all day long and it's become extremely annoying, I have approached the owner in the past ,but I'm afraid he hasn't done anything helpful to alleviate the problem, so now I'm at my wits end as to what to do.Anyone have this problem or have an idea what to do about this? Thanks for any responses.

Report to municipal bylaw department.
Keep log of incidents ( time, date and duration).
Call bylaw department weekly for updates and to add to complaint if needed.
Expect to have to appear in court as witness if needed.
It may take a couple of weeks but your life and that of all neighbours will be improved.

oldgutpile
03-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Throw a speaker outside, volume up..give it a 12hr shot, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyh0aaJo9Nc

Just as I was reading this post, my dog is sitting outside the door barking and whining to get in. I pushed up the volume on the link to highest level, and......NADA!

browning21
03-29-2020, 10:05 PM
Untrained dogs bark because they have been left outside and are bored. Give them something to do. Simply wait until it rains and lob a few oxo cubes into their yard. The next time the dog is out they will smell what they perceive as a buried side of beef and start digging. Repeat as needed. Enough of this and hopefully your neighbor will not want to leave the dog alone for long as the lawn and the flower beds will start to look like Juno beach.:sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
03-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Untrained dogs bark because they have been left outside and are bored. Give them something to do. Simply wait until it rains and lob a few oxo cubes into their yard. The next time the dog is out they will smell what they perceive as a buried side of beef and start digging. Repeat as needed. Enough of this and hopefully your neighbor will not want to leave the dog alone for long as the lawn and the flower beds will start to look like Juno beach.:sHa_shakeshout:

LOL Excellent solution.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

does it ALL outdoors
03-29-2020, 11:39 PM

Discuss first.

Agree on all counts. DO NOT throw anything over the fence, that just asking for trouble. Potentially big trouble.

Hunter Dave gets it, talk to your neighbor. Remember those days before the interwebs when we all knew our neighbors names and talked to them on a regular basis? Have a chat. When it falls of deaf ears like it has for some here call Bylaw. Once they deem it a nuisance dog it's a $250 coupon every time Bylaw catches them, a few of those and I'm betting they start playing along.

That's too bad that even after someone has to bring it to their attention and they still fail to address the problem. Never had that problem but I could see that being extremely frustrating. Good luck to everyone dealing with this.

Big Grey Wolf
03-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Buy a electronic dog collar and deliver it to the neighbor. Let him know what plan B like Hunter Dave already mentioned will follow.

Nikanit
03-30-2020, 03:01 PM
I had a dog years ago that barked when he was bored, so I tied him up under my window, and everytime he barked without a reason I opened up my window and poured a cup of water on him. Worked like a charm. He used to chase cars too so I got a big bag of cans and put him on a long leash. Got a friend to drive by and as soon as he started to run after the car, they would open the window and dump all the cans outta the bag, scared the crap outta him.

liar
03-30-2020, 03:36 PM
I had a dog years ago that barked when he was bored, so I tied him up under my window, and everytime he barked without a reason I opened up my window and poured a cup of water on him. Worked like a charm. He used to chase cars too so I got a big bag of cans and put him on a long leash. Got a friend to drive by and as soon as he started to run after the car, they would open the window and dump all the cans outta the bag, scared the crap outta him.

those are good ideas and there are ways to train dogs not to bark at the moon , the problem is that the dog owner has to have some interest in dealing with their dog . if the dog owner doesnt see the constant barking as a problem then these measures wont help .