PDA

View Full Version : Done with winter.

sewerrat
03-30-2020, 07:36 PM
Are we ever going to get spring? Enough of the snow and cold.

So many projects I could be doing outside but Mother Nature is no help:angry3:

calgarychef
03-30-2020, 07:55 PM

Agreed...I could be outside shooting my bow

robson3954
03-30-2020, 07:57 PM
I swear all Canadians do is whine about the cold. It’s quite embarrassing, imo. It’s like half of our international identity out the window lol

mooseknuckle
03-30-2020, 08:02 PM
I swear all Canadians do is whine about the cold. It’s quite embarrassing, imo. It’s like half of our international identity out the window lol

???? Really? I think we as canadians have deserved the right. Let me guess you remove snow for a living?

pikeman06
03-30-2020, 08:07 PM
Where ya from there partner? After workin 5 months a year outside for 12 hours a day everyday in the alberta winter for 30 years....YOU GET SICK OF FRIGGIN WINTER....it's not something I see out of an office window. I'm right out there in it and when it's April and and it still looks, smells, and feels like December.....we gonna "whine" about it. I prefer to call it "bitchin 'bout the weather" got a better sound to it.

Grizzly Adams
03-30-2020, 08:16 PM
We have close to a foot of snow, but I've been told. gophers are out. Saw a bald eagle the other day and the geese are paired up on frozen Innis Lake. It will come soon.

Grizz

Tungsten,
03-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Remember about 5or 6 yrs ago we actually had spring in March?Flowers by mid April.Man that was a great year.Dry fly fishing for browns on the Bow in April.

Ken07AOVette
03-30-2020, 08:21 PM
I would love about 4 more good dumps. We had very little this winter. We are supposed to get a few inches tonight which is good because that is my only income right now.

I have closed my business for recovery, just can not call anyone with the way things are going.

Mine may be one of the businesses that does not make it through the year, and I hate it because I have had a lot of my customers for over 3 decades.

Mavrick
03-30-2020, 08:24 PM
Winter is pure joy to play in I love it. Winter is pure hell to work in I hate it. And saying this is pure Canadian because we all feel the same, I think.

JD848
03-30-2020, 08:29 PM
The sooner it warms up and the ice goes the faster I can put my boat in, so sunshine come on. Get out clean the yard up ,springs is a great time.Plus I like fishing those big lakers right near my place.

JD

huntinstuff
03-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Alberta has crap weather
Winter is long, cold and miserable
Summer is too short
Fall is too short

But its better than rain

I hate rain. Always have.

It can thunder and lightning all it wants. Just dont rain.

liar
03-30-2020, 08:51 PM
its been a full on blizzard here for the last three hours . looks like we are going sledding one more time !!! if its gonna be cold it may as well snow . longer winter = shorter spring

JD848
03-30-2020, 09:08 PM
With this virus going on ,large snowfalls are not a great thing,bad road accidents ,ending up hurt in a hospital is the last place you want to be,so if it does dump down everyone be very careful. We need clear roads and very few accidents.

JD

Da'Newf
03-30-2020, 09:12 PM
Can handle the snow. It's the dang -20 lows that they are calling for. It's almost April.... Gonna be a long time still before any yard work or outside projects gets done.

colroggal
03-30-2020, 09:17 PM
Maybe I'm a glass half full kind of guy. When I see snow this time a year, I think - every centimeter might just mean one more day of campfire season this summer.

The glass half empty side of me likes to remind people that we can always count on a foot of snow between St Paddy's and April fool's.

If it's water, the glass is half full.
When it's beer, the glass is half empty.

Colin

OL_JR
03-30-2020, 09:19 PM
Lovin it, there is some "Open all Year" lakes that are still going to have plenty of good ice on them for a guy to fish. The warm weather will come and it will be just that much better when it does. For now time to go fishin.

58thecat
03-31-2020, 06:08 AM
All in due time....still lots of outdoor winter activities to,partake in.:sHa_shakeshout:

338Bluff
03-31-2020, 06:14 AM
Alberta has crap weather
Summer is too short
Fall is too short

But its better than rain

Rain makes corn. Corn makes whiskey....

Rain is a good thing.

waldedw
03-31-2020, 07:01 AM
All in due time....still lots of outdoor winter activities to,partake in.:sHa_shakeshout:

Yup, like this morning I get to play with my snow blower again :sHa_shakeshout:

Smoky buck
03-31-2020, 07:10 AM
Open water is taking too long :waiting4:

ganderblaster
03-31-2020, 07:18 AM
The geese are sitting on the sloughs with f this sh** body language😂😂😂

NCC
03-31-2020, 07:18 AM
These long winters are hard on the deer. We still have 2’ of snow between Rocky and Red Deer.

58thecat
03-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Open water is taking too long :waiting4:

cut 2'x20' holes...practice your casting etc.....or just wait:)

58thecat
03-31-2020, 08:16 AM
These long winters are hard on the deer. We still have 2’ of snow between Rocky and Red Deer.

around here it was a good winter for game....not too much snow cover...not overly too cold....see lots of deer, moose and chickens when I am out so the fall looks very promissing:sHa_shakeshout:

blackburbot
03-31-2020, 08:45 AM
Still snowing around Slave Lake. No talk of forest fires yet.

Smoky buck
03-31-2020, 08:48 AM
cut 2'x20' holes...practice your casting etc.....or just wait:)

I will just wait but I don’t have to like it

ruffy71
03-31-2020, 08:55 AM
These temperatures are nasty for this time of year. But I'll never complain about snow. For a couple of decades everything was so dry. In the last few years, sloughs have come back, creeks flow in the spring.

When the ducks, geese, red wing black birds come back, and have water waiting for them, pure joy.

calgarychef
03-31-2020, 09:01 AM
Alberta has crap weather
Summer is too short
Fall is too short

But its better than rain

I’m with you, it’s impossible to do anything outside in the rain.
But....you don’t have to shovel the rain

elkhunter11
03-31-2020, 10:12 AM
I just blew snow again, I didn't think that I would be using the snow blower again this spring. Now I am waiting for the snow to melt, so I can get on with my yard work, which would really be nice given that pretty much all other activities are on hold.

last minute
03-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Agreed...I could be outside shooting my bow

Why don't you just go outside and shoot your bow forget about the weather for a little while.
I know easier said than done

cow-puncher
03-31-2020, 10:52 AM
I can tell you guys dont calve cows or grow crops. As much as i hate snow when calves are being born it helps fill dugouts and gives the grass and the hay a good start in the spring.

mac1983
03-31-2020, 11:00 AM
I can tell you guys dont calve cows or grow crops. As much as i hate snow when calves are being born it helps fill dugouts and gives the grass and the hay a good start in the spring.

Yep, I never complain about snow and rain. It makes it a bit tough at times, but after going through those drought's 15 - 20 years ago this is heaven.

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2020, 11:02 AM

I never knew about the reflection from the snow burning udders. What a pain it has to be to be constantly putting out bedding so the cows dont kick the calves.

Learn something everyday, found this out today.

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2020, 11:04 AM
I got my wish, 4-6" of snow means another half day plowing on my little contract. The only money in the jeans this month has been from snow plowing, and there was not much. 3-4 more dumps would be very nice.

I am sure glad I have no mortgage.

NCC
03-31-2020, 11:27 AM
My brother ranches north of Valleyview. Here's photo of his car from this morning. If you look hard, you can see the antennae sticking out of the snow.

Just when the deer populations were starting to recover.

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2020, 01:07 PM
Holy carp!!!

At least the coyotes wont get the deer, I have heard no snow is harder on deer than too much. True?

35 whelen
03-31-2020, 02:12 PM
This was west of Valley View before we got all the snow we're getting right now won't be getting into my cabin for a whilehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200331/332339cbd6fa6b049b14cbf34e9bf67e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Twin Valleys
03-31-2020, 02:30 PM
and after a surprise meeting this morning we can add skunks on the move to your list

DiabeticKripple
03-31-2020, 02:32 PM
I don’t mind the cold.

What I HATE is getting a big dump of snow, then it warms up. Makes the lease roads turn to gumbo, and sites turn to gumbo. Just snow and stay cold.

crazy_davey
03-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Alberta has crap weather
Summer is too short
Fall is too short

But its better than rain

LOL! I remember one evening long ago sitting in a tree with you and your son in an absolute down pour. That royally sucked, other than the great company :)

fordtruckin
03-31-2020, 08:22 PM
I don’t mind the cold.

What I HATE is getting a big dump of snow, then it warms up. Makes the lease roads turn to gumbo, and sites turn to gumbo. Just snow and stay cold.

Not a fan of the cold but love the snow! I have gotten probably 8-10” in the last 36 hours and it’s still coming down. I must say that I don’t mind the extra moisture knowing that it could help us avoid chocking on smoke all summer!! My snow piles from winter won’t be gone until mid June.

Hunt4Ever
04-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Yep multiple blows to the nuts!

MyAlberta
04-02-2020, 11:14 AM
After 30 years, I finally got back into country skiing this year. I’m excited when snow is forecast.

sewerrat
04-05-2020, 07:32 AM
This year sure made it for a super long winter, April 5 still snowing, and still well below the average temperatures.
I think this has got to be one of the worst Springs that I can remember.

Fwee6
04-05-2020, 07:36 AM
This year sure made it for a super long winter, April 5 still snowing, and still well below the average temperatures.
I think this has got to be one of the worst Springs that I can remember.

I've been here almost 10 years, and this is by far the "worst" Spring thus far.
Long-term forecast has highs the 3rd week of April below zero...WTF?

Scientists saying the weather in some parts of the world has changed (for the better) due to Covid-19 and a lack of pollution by humans --- I wonder if that is at play here?

Either way, Mother Nature needs to cut the sh*t and work towards averages ASAP.

Smoky buck
04-05-2020, 07:52 AM
I've been here almost 10 years, and this is by far the "worst" Spring thus far.
Long-term forecast has highs the 3rd week of April below zero...WTF?

Scientists saying the weather in some parts of the world has changed (for the better) due to Covid-19 and a lack of pollution by humans --- I wonder if that is at play here?

Either way, Mother Nature needs to cut the sh*t and work towards averages ASAP.

Not the first time or even the second I have seen a crap spring like this. It’s just a crap spring just like some years have been hot springs. Don’t overthink it

But yes winter needs to end

1899b
04-05-2020, 07:59 AM
As i get older the cold really gets to me. Growing up in McMurray the cold never bothered me. I can remember downshifting in my Jeep tj and getting to the top of supertest and I couldn’t upshift. Stick was froze. Minus 45 with ice fog fun. Lol. Used to hunt and ice fish in very cold temps. Minus 30 I would use a heat gun for stripping paint on the oil pan of our Honda ATC 200 Trike to thaw it and head across the Clearwater river for the day by myself.

Didn’t go ice fishing once this year and I’m good with it. I’ve had my share of winter in my life...