PDA

View Full Version : For you Fishermen with Kids..

Justagirl
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey everyone. Had a great weekend catching walleye @ pigeon (I caught the most, of course.. lol) anyhoo, found this in the regulations magazine when I got my license (I know lots of you probably don't even read the whole thing lol). Its a short quiz, 10 questions, not too hard although we got a few wrong lol but we even learned something. And for your trouble, you get a special walleye license for kids under 16 which gives them tags for 3 walleye at Pigeon Lake or Newell Lake. So I thought I would pass it along. Check it out! =) Happy Fishing!

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Youth/GoFish/fishquiz.aspx

FallAirFever
07-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the link,
I have already reserved tags for me and the kids for Pigeon but might take the quiz with them anyways!

We are headed up there Aug 15, for a weekend of fishing, care to share any tips or hotspots? I know that catching fish at Pigeon is usually pretty easy but I am going with my father-in-law and he is a bit of a bad luck charm sometimes,
Thank goodness he does not come hunting with me!

Justagirl
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Fishing at Pigeon is easy as will most of these guy tell you. And if you get the right spot there is pretty much at least 1 walleye being brought up at any given time. We use frozen minnows for bait. and we go to the south west side. Right in front of the beach of the provincial campground (you will see it, its where you should see at least 5 other boats in teh area lol) there is like a shelf there where it drops from about 6ft to 21ft. Thats where we always catch lots of fish. As for how.. I dunno Im no expert but what we do is have a weight on the bottom of the line, drop it down to the bottom, bring it up a couple turns and just wait for the rod to bend.. lol Doesn't take long! Have fun!

Dark
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up
My nephew (7)will be tickled he was upset that he could not keep a fish and to have tags in his name will make his year

Jayball
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Another very good spot is across the lake at the Silver Beach point.

I love this lake for kids. We have a cabin (shack actually) in the area and because we only have small 12 ft al. boat... we usually stick to this side of the lake. It took me 30 mins to get across to the provincial park one night! I have two kids... 5 and 7 (girl)... and they both love going out with me. At that spot we have ALWAYS had great success... in fact I rarely get to fish myself as I am almost always hooking up new minnows on their pickerel rigs.

Another good spot is the area south of there... to the pelican island. Lots and lots of weed beds (good for pike in early summer and fall) around the island and the trolling to the island always produces walleye.

In fact this past weekend on Saturday we were out and I was using my pike fly rod trying to lure in some lunkers. No pike... but I catch quite a few wally on the fly. Good fun. It was hot! My daughter wanted to go for a swim... so... I just tightened up her lifejacket and put her over the side. She was happy as a clam bobbing around for about 30 mins.

Justagirl
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes I agree, its a great lake for kids, as well as beginners. I believe I saw someone say on here once, that if you can't catch fish on pigeon lake, you'd best quit fishin lol. My 7 year old brought in 9 all by himself. Of course we baited his hooks and everything but, he loved every minute of it! And can't wait to go back!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/justagirlfromalberta/IMGP2957.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/justagirlfromalberta/6460_129195310618_553900618_3619933.jpg

Bassett
07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a question, im 13 and have my WIN and Ive already reserved undersubscride class C tags, now I just did the test and I have the free ones coming. What do I do with the reserved ones?

Thanks for the link, now just gotta get out!

Jayball
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes I agree, its a great lake for kids, as well as beginners. I believe I saw someone say on here once, that if you can't catch fish on pigeon lake, you'd best quit fishin lol. My 7 year old brought in 9 all by himself. Of course we baited his hooks and everything but, he loved every minute of it! And can't wait to go back!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/justagirlfromalberta/IMGP2957.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/justagirlfromalberta/6460_129195310618_553900618_3619933.jpg

It really is amazing how much fun the outdoors is when you can share it with your children. Sooooo much better from than video games.

Our boy is 5 and our daughter is 7. How old are yours?

Jayball
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I just remembered... if you dont have a boat... you can always head to the big wharf at Ma me O beach. It is at least 100 meters long and it is permanent.

As it is about 3 ft up on the water.... it is a great place for sight casting as you can see the fish very well in the water. Water might be a bit murky this week due to heat... but good fun for kids anyway.

Justagirl
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I have 2 boys, 7 & 2. The 2 year old hasn't really been out yet, as i'm a little nervous with him on the boat. He's not one to want to sit still very long and do any one thing for too long. My 7 year old tho, is at a perfect age for all of this stuff, and he loves it! He and Daddy are headed to the island next week for some Salmon fishing in the ocean. Hes so excited.. Momma is terrified, of course.. but I guess ill have to just get over it. lol

That's good to know about the wharf, we don't have a boat, we go out with my Dad on his boat. Is it as easy to catch them there as the boat spots you think?

.270fan
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a question, im 13 and have my WIN and Ive already reserved undersubscride class C tags, now I just did the test and I have the free ones coming. What do I do with the reserved ones?

Thanks for the link, now just gotta get out!

Don't buy them, maybe phone and ask if you can " unreserve" them so someone else can pick them up.

fishing_flower
07-29-2009, 07:49 AM
That's great, we are heading to Pigeon on Friday night. We have our Walleye tags class c. Little guy will have a blast.

Jayball
07-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I have 2 boys, 7 & 2. The 2 year old hasn't really been out yet, as i'm a little nervous with him on the boat. He's not one to want to sit still very long and do any one thing for too long. My 7 year old tho, is at a perfect age for all of this stuff, and he loves it! He and Daddy are headed to the island next week for some Salmon fishing in the ocean. Hes so excited.. Momma is terrified, of course.. but I guess ill have to just get over it. lol

That's good to know about the wharf, we don't have a boat, we go out with my Dad on his boat. Is it as easy to catch them there as the boat spots you think?

You know, in my opinion I think having a boat at pigeon is awlays easier to catch fish just becuase of the fact that if the fish are off in one spot, you can always move to another - the lake is just so big. There isnt alot of shore fishing around the lake. I have found docks are good too if you can get permission. However... we didnt get our little boat until this year... so i spent many hours at ma me o with my little ones. It was always good fun to see fish come in and cruise the area... kids love that. It get even better when they arent hungry and you see everybody doing everything they can to catch them... very funny...

One thing, the end of the wharf has that 3 foot drop to the water, so i made sure my youngest had a lifejacket on. In my experience it does get crowded after 12pm... and parking is a real pain as there is a masiave public beach... so maybe good to get there early. I would take the kids right after breakfast on a saturday morning.

Bring some lawn chairs... throw out your pickeral rig and tell your son... to watch the end of the rod. That's what i did with my daughter... and when that tipp started twitchng... she would start hollerin. I would let her reel it in.

Very very good family time.