PDA

View Full Version : wind power

DWS
03-30-2020, 10:13 PM
Curious as to if anyone uses wind power to charge batteries when off grid or camping.
The benefits would be that a gas powered generator would not have to be running. making noise and using gas.
Also wind power "could" be available 24/7, night or day.
Would be quiet and relatively economical to set up.
I camp for extended periods during the summer and am already set up with 4-6 volt batteries in the rv. I only need to start a generator every 3 or 4 days. If wind power is available it would eliminate the need to run a generator.
I feel a wind generator could be rigged up for less than 200 watt solar panels.

Johnny G1
03-30-2020, 11:01 PM
I don't think you can build a wind mill for the price of a solar panel, what we found in the desert was that the mill did not put out constant power and the price of the mill 12 yrs ago was around $700us and now you can buy solar for less than a buck a watt which will be there everyday and you do not need full sun to make power, Just my thoughts as I have 640 watts spread out between the mh and 5th wheel. It takes constant wind to make power.

mryimmers
03-31-2020, 05:33 AM
One or two solar panels would be more reliable.

DWS
03-31-2020, 07:06 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that i was planning using an automotive alternator as the generator.
Almost certain I could build it for less that $200.00.
Fair bit of info on these on youtube.

Sundancefisher
03-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Curious as to if anyone uses wind power to charge batteries when off grid or camping.
The benefits would be that a gas powered generator would not have to be running. making noise and using gas.
Also wind power "could" be available 24/7, night or day.
Would be quiet and relatively economical to set up.
I camp for extended periods during the summer and am already set up with 4-6 volt batteries in the rv. I only need to start a generator every 3 or 4 days. If wind power is available it would eliminate the need to run a generator.
I feel a wind generator could be rigged up for less than 200 watt solar panels.

Near a river?

https://www.waterlilyturbine.com

Stinky Buffalo
03-31-2020, 07:45 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that i was planning using an automotive alternator as the generator.
Almost certain I could build it for less that $200.00.
Fair bit of info on these on youtube.

Cool idea!

If you do end up building it, please share on here! A lot of us curious types would enjoy learning about your experiences with it.

liar
03-31-2020, 08:06 AM
if you spend a lot of time camping without power , solar panels and a wind turbine together would back each other up to take advantage of both wind and sunshine if you can afford both .

as posted , keep us posted on the project ,thanks .

Osky
03-31-2020, 08:18 AM
I tried to make one using an alternator as a power source at my off grid place here. I could not gear out the system to get the alternator to spin fast enough to develope power while a draw was on. I'm sure not an expert so maybe you can master it.
I rely on my solar panels, they are bulletproof proof and with today's technology they are nearly plug and play and even on rainy days they make power especially in summer when days are long.
Good luck with your project.

Osky

DWS
03-31-2020, 08:39 AM
I did some calculations and researching....a common GM delco alternator puts out approx. 65 amps. It would take nearly 900 watts of solar power to compare to this output.
The alternators are readily available for $50-$60.

DWS
03-31-2020, 08:41 AM
I tried to make one using an alternator as a power source at my off grid place here. I could not gear out the system to get the alternator to spin fast enough to develope power while a draw was on. I'm sure not an expert so maybe you can master it.
I rely on my solar panels, they are bulletproof proof and with today's technology they are nearly plug and play and even on rainy days they make power especially in summer when days are long.
Good luck with your project.

Osky

were you starting under load or did you have exciter switch installed?

The Elkster
03-31-2020, 08:53 AM
I did some calculations and researching....a common GM delco alternator puts out approx. 65 amps. It would take nearly 900 watts of solar power to compare to this output.
The alternators are readily available for $50-$60.

I think the question is what size turbine do you need to effectively spin that alternator given average winds in your area? I suspect a pretty big one that'll likely blow the economics out of the water.

Osky
03-31-2020, 08:55 AM
were you starting under load or did you have exciter switch installed?

No it was direct with a two step gear drop. As said I could not turn the alt fast enough. My nephew is a master electrician and helped as best he could, it was all foreign to us and built from scratch and thought. As I said maybe your experience puts this more in your wheel house and I'm interested in seeing where we may have been wrong.

Osky

liar
03-31-2020, 09:03 AM
would a lower amperage alternator be easier to spin under load ?

DWS
03-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Ya not sure on what makes the alternator easy to spin. I would thing design of wind mill props would have a great effect there.
I am just going by what I have seen on youtube. There are vertical and horizontal shaft designs.

bat119
03-31-2020, 09:44 AM
There some ready built for a good price

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PHJRQZ9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PHJRQZ9&pd_rd_w=cqZrV&pf_rd_p=a14ddd24-c45e-4c01-803e-ab6a335c1c48&pd_rd_wg=4nMZU&pf_rd_r=ERY2NDG8F1EMZ1VB2QM8&pd_rd_r=8b80c180-5a7f-40cd-ba19-29c893f708b3&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTDVDRjhOVzBTMlNMJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTUwNjUzM08xNjkyTk1aUEhHViZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjAyMDA2MkE5QURBUUg2TDlZWCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZ kb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Max 400 watts

philintheblank
03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
I watched a few YouTube videos a while back. They were using permanent magnet DC motors, as I recall, for their turbines. One guy advised against using alternators. I cant recall why though

FCLightning
03-31-2020, 01:40 PM
The thing with an alternator is that you need about 2400 rpm for it to make any power at all and you will need 6000 rpm for it to achieve full output (these are ballparked figures but illustrate the concept.)

DWS
03-31-2020, 08:53 PM
I also watched one video of a guy that used a dc motor as the generator. He was able to spin it by hand and make volts.

curtz
03-31-2020, 10:15 PM
I've run 4 6-volts with a 200 watt solar panel for years, it charges up every day, works good. It might cost you $200 to $300 to build your wind mill but it might not give you the results you want, could put that money towards solar and it works. Just my opinion, I'm know expert on wind power.

Arty
03-31-2020, 10:18 PM
A 3-phase induction generator designed to spin at 4000 rpm will be next to useless at low speeds. Lots of turbine generators are for sale for use on sailboats cruising offshore. Probably would be best to look at how those are built and do some engineering study to see how those are different from a vehicle alternator and why.