PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables

pikergolf
04-01-2020, 05:25 PM
So what is everyone doing for fresh veg. Almost all lettuce comes from California, a hot bed of infection. I never ate a lot of vegetables, but had at least 2 servings a day. Am struggling now, only so many frozen veg. a guy can eat. What is everyone doing?

Sooner
04-01-2020, 05:41 PM
So what is everyone doing for fresh veg. Almost all lettuce comes from California, a hot bed of infection. I never ate a lot of vegetables, but had at least 2 servings a day. Am struggling now, only so many frozen veg. a guy can eat. What is everyone doing?

I get my "fresh"stuff from Walmart, Safeway or H&W, more of a Carrots, Cauliflower and Broccoli kinda guy vs salads. Just soak it and wash it good, mine all get boiled, prefer that to raw.

liar
04-01-2020, 05:49 PM
good question . there doesnt seem to be any hard numbers as to how long the virus can survive outside the host (infected people) . that said , there is probably a five day minimum from field to grocery shelf . i think there are more things to worry about on vegys than c-19 like bacteria , listeria , and so on .

EZM
04-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Yeah, for sure your veg is more likely to have e-coli on it than anything else. Sure if some Covid-19 carrying host fondled your lettuce before you took it home, then it is what it is.

That same Covid carrying infected shopper can also fondle cans, boxes, shopping carts, etc....

Told my wife to clean cart handles, wear gloves. Also a good idea to disinfect your counter after you unpacking your groceries for this same reason.

We keep buying fresh veg, but are using more veg cooked than raw. A lot less lettuce and salad stuff but we havn't cut it out completely.

JareS
04-01-2020, 06:00 PM
Theres a company called Inspired Greens that grows lettuce year round from a hydroponic greenhouse in Coaldale. Tastes like fresh garden lettuce, but from the grocery store. Don't have an affiliation with them, just love their product!

In the summer, Safeway sources as much of their produce as they can from Alberta. Hutterites provide a good portion of that. This was even before the Pandemic, I'd assume this summer even more so.

MountainTi
04-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Can't go wrong with a jar of dill pickles

pikergolf
04-01-2020, 06:01 PM
I am amazed at how quickly the surreal turns to normal. A month ago this would have all seemed crazy and yet here we are. :scared:

bloopbloob
04-01-2020, 06:08 PM
Our house has, even since before all this, washed veggies like lettuce in a salad spinner, with a soak in heavily salted water. Drain it off, then another rinse with tap water to get any salt off. A little overkill, but not in these times. The raw veg is usually where things come from

pikergolf
04-01-2020, 06:21 PM
Our house has, even since before all this, washed veggies like lettuce in a salad spinner, with a soak in heavily salted water. Drain it off, then another rinse with tap water to get any salt off. A little overkill, but not in these times. The raw veg is usually where things come from

Is salted water supposed to kill virus?

bloopbloob
04-01-2020, 06:30 PM
A virus is not living. It does denature proteins essential to function. Could get more into it.

calgarychef
04-01-2020, 06:36 PM
I’m cooking all of my vegetables. Only eating fruit that’s peeled, cantaloupe, oranges etc. Maybe I’m being too cautious.

Mr Flyguy
04-01-2020, 06:39 PM
Can't go wrong with a jar of dill pickles

Not much nutrition there, but hey, can't beat dill pickles and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Had canned peas tonight with a chicken casserole, but not a great deal of nutrition value in canned peas as well
Normally would have had a supply of frozen runner beans but a rabbit kept sneaking in and eating the seedlings last May.

MountainTi
04-01-2020, 06:43 PM
Not much nutrition there, but hey, can't beat dill pickles and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Hoping it staves off the scurvy for a couple months

Hoping spring shows up within the next month or two. Have a row of parsnips just waiting to be dug

last minute
04-01-2020, 06:43 PM

i just drink a v-8 twice a day :)

Grizzly Adams
04-01-2020, 06:45 PM

An ounce of vodka ensures its sanitized. :D

Grizz

last minute
04-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Grizz I will not argue that :).

pikergolf
04-01-2020, 06:51 PM

I bought some vegetable super food powder from Costco to hopefully bridge me. Never thought I would miss veg, but I miss it now. :(

MyAlberta
04-01-2020, 06:52 PM
I do the alfalfa sprout thing. Baby greens will be getting enough light now to do a window grow. Spice it up to your liking. I tried kratcky last year, but choose the wrong plants. Kale, too lanky.

muirsy
04-01-2020, 06:52 PM
No different than before, I wash everything before eating it.

If you're really concerned just don't eat it for a couple days after you've washed - the virus doesn't just sit on things waiting to jump out.

lone wolf
04-01-2020, 06:54 PM

At this time of year I always buy from the local greenhouses in Redcliff. Fresh, cheap. excellent quality and supporting local. Already they are offering several varieties of fresh herbs & tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, sweet bell peppers, fresh jalapenos and other hot peppers, poblano peppers,chard, eggplant, kale and lettuce.

pikergolf
04-01-2020, 06:57 PM
At this time of year I always buy from the local greenhouses in Redcliff. Fresh, cheap. excellent quality and supporting local. Already they are offering several varieties of fresh herbs & tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, sweet bell peppers, fresh jalapenos and other hot peppers, poblano peppers,chard, eggplant, kale and lettuce.

I have supported them and have been thinking about this. But... I am thinking if there is a group that would go to work ill it would be TFW's. Sad I know but that is my thought process.

vinny
04-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Theres a company called Inspired Greens that grows lettuce year round from a hydroponic greenhouse in Coaldale. Tastes like fresh garden lettuce, but from the grocery store. Don't have an affiliation with them, just love their product!

In the summer, Safeway sources as much of their produce as they can from Alberta. Hutterites provide a good portion of that. This was even before the Pandemic, I'd assume this summer even more so.

I did a tour of the Inspired Greens site when we ran gas to them (it was Whole Leaf then) Nice thing about this facility is that a human hand doesn’t touch the product until it goes onto a truck. Very high tech place. The contamination risk is still there I guess, but it’s definitely lessened a great deal. And it’s local. (For some of us)

mikevv
04-01-2020, 08:46 PM
We fill the sink with our veg and then squeeze the juice of a lime in the water and let sit for an hour or so. Learned from buying fresh produce in Mexico. Works good for us.
Mike

liar
04-01-2020, 08:54 PM
We fill the sink with our veg and then squeeze the juice of a lime in the water and let sit for an hour or so. Learned from buying fresh produce in Mexico. Works good for us.
Mike

i was told that is how the lime in the beer started . the mexicans would hand you an open beer and you were supposed to rim the bottle with the lime to kill bacteria and throw it out . us gringos didnt understand and just pushed the lime into the bottle .

pitw
04-01-2020, 09:39 PM
We planted some tomato's
https://i.ibb.co/VTts9Fn/IMG-3022.jpg (https://ibb.co/SBPzykY)

barbless
04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Grizz

I see the V-8 juice an do what the commercial did. Slap myself up side the head and say "I should have had a V-8"

Then I see "An ounce of Vodka ensures its sanitized"

Ok maybe an ounce for your mouth but for your body it had better be a
four-ple. It's an alcohol sanitizer for the insides then :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_sarcasticlol:

CranePete
04-01-2020, 10:05 PM
^^^^ don’t forget, must be 60% to be effective

Prairiewolf
04-02-2020, 07:13 AM

I don't believe there's any risk in eating vegetables from anywhere. There would be more risk physically going to the grocery store and being around others.

My wife ordered some vegetables from ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen yesterday, when the order is ready all we need to do is drive there, open the back hatch, and they drop off the order boxed up. We can sanitize it again here if need be. Another option vs 30+ minutes in a grocery store.

Big Grey Wolf
04-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Even if your vodka is little lower than 60%. it will work just drink more or put more into your salad dressing. During WW11 Hitler would save all the drugs for soldiers. Wifes grandmother would give kids vodka and garlic for flu.

calgarychef
04-02-2020, 09:17 AM
I don't believe there's any risk in eating vegetables from anywhere. There would be more risk physically going to the grocery store and being around others.

My wife ordered some vegetables from ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen yesterday, when the order is ready all we need to do is drive there, open the back hatch, and they drop off the order boxed up. We can sanitize it again here if need be. Another option vs 30+ minutes in a grocery store.

I was at wholesale club before this stuff all started. I went for a leak, washed my hands then this pig comes out of the crapper and heads for the door without washing his hands. I got in front of him, blocked the door and said “wash your hands,”. He refused, I stayed in the doorway and had a little chat about being in a grocery store and cross contamination etc.

Eventually he washed his hands.

People like that are handling your produce. I don’t think. I want to rely on washing produce to keep me safe.

Peel it or cook it.

Freedom55
04-02-2020, 09:20 AM
We're still getting by on frozen or jarred vegetables that we grew last summer. This year's crop is in the trays and sprouting like mad. Not every one has the time or space to do this but this new world order may see an increase in home grown tomatoes.

Free