PDA

View Full Version : Puppy training

newdrenalin
04-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Looking for a some advice on training a Lab puppy, that we are getting in a few weeks. We are not new to Labs, we've had a couple as family pets over the years. I would like to be a lot more dillegent with the training right from the start this time instead of trying to correct bad habits. What does everyone recommend for books or videos ( systems ) I'm wanting to do the training myself and not take it to someone Thanks for any help

MK2750
04-02-2020, 08:45 AM
I don't follow this to the letter but Bill Hillmann has some excellent videos online and uses many of the methods my father taught me to use many years ago.

Au revoir, Gopher
04-02-2020, 08:50 AM
If you are talking about obedience training (not hunting) I like this book (https://www.amazon.ca/How-Raise-Puppy-You-Live/dp/1617812447/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=how+to+raise+a+puppy+you+can+l ive+with&qid=1585838748&sr=8-1).

The biggest thing is consistency and everybody in the house has to be singing from the same book.

ARG

Rackmastr
04-02-2020, 09:00 AM
I use the Hillmann method and have been really happy with my pups progress. She's almost 2 now and a treat to work with and a great dog around the house.

He has a ton of videos online and then you can order his training programs direct from him digital or DVD. I watched a lot of his YouTube blog posts before buying his videos.

newdrenalin
04-02-2020, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been more specific with my post. I would like to hunt with it eventually but I want a super strong obedience foundation first.

Sundog57
04-02-2020, 12:27 PM
x3 for Hillmann
The DVDs are pretty expensive but the idea of building your entire program around Sit is a good one and I like his approach to obedience.
Have an 18 month old that I started this way and have watched a lot of the Hillman clips on youtube - Hard to tell dog-to-dog (this guy is #10) but I think that we have avoided a bucket full of issues that we saw training previous dogs.
Of course he's just at the age when after bragging him up he's going to make a fool of me LOL.
Also used Hillmann's technique to make a profound improvement in a 6 year old with poor line manners.
Like everything to do with dog training, from James Lamb Free through, DL Walters through Lardy, none of them had a direct line to the CORRECT METHOD it's a progression, you pick up some good ideas each time and add them to your arsenal.

sns2
04-02-2020, 01:33 PM
https://www.theretrievertrainer.com/

Best value by a country mile.

newdrenalin
04-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys...so much info to go over

newdrenalin
04-05-2020, 07:01 AM
Does anyone have any Bill Hillmann videos they would like to sell ?

caged
04-05-2020, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have any Bill Hillmann videos they would like to sell ?

Search online

Newf
04-05-2020, 10:10 AM
As others have stated Hillmann is great. He has a great puppy video. Though admittedly I have not watched his full training program.

You might also want to check out Mike Lardy’s Total Retriever Training or Smartwork by Evan Graham. Both are step by step programs that take you through to a highly trained hunting retriever. If you get Hillmanns puppy video you can easily transition to either of these programs after completing the puppy portion.

Keep in mind these programs are expensive, but if you’re wanting to train your dog for the field yourself - they are worth it.

Don’t get side tracked by “I don’t want to run tests or trials”. These programs can teach you how to train the skills needed for the field.

In addition to all that, you state you want strong obedience. The bottom line there is your standards. If you want solid obedience you need to be FAIR, and CONSISTENT with your dog. You can’t ask the dog to be sitting or heeling in a tight form or perfectly square one moment then let it do what ever it wants the next. The rules are the rules and you need to stick with that.