PDA

View Full Version : Canoe opinions

Hunter guy
04-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Looking at buying a canoe what’s the best to go with and why!? Aluminum or plastic thanks

Be just for going down a few tame rivers and some smaller lakes, just need some opinions thanks

lyallpeder
04-03-2020, 07:16 AM
I have a fiberglass, I like it but having to store it out of the sun is a pain. I think aluminum could be stored outside. Aluminum can also be patched with duct tape for a quick fix.

Have you compared weights depending on how you’re going to transport it and costs?

bsmitty27
04-03-2020, 07:32 AM
I would find a good glass boat, for what your looking at. A decent old royalex boat would be good but heavy. Stay away from cheap plastic boats.

Blastoff
04-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Go fibreglass I had a plastic Coleman and dumped it for the fibreglass no longer have it now as I went with a kayak. Kijiji should have them from $100.00 to $300.00 used. Found the glass canoes just skimmed the water better, plastic seemed to drag more.

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Maybe it’s from childhood memories and the abuse I put my canoe through as a kid but have to recommend the aluminum sportspal canoes. They are light so they are easy to carry or drag. Pretty good stability and tough. I had a 14ft that would get dragged around into nasty hidden lakes, rivers, and ponds. Dragged over beaver dams and any other obstacle you can think of. That canoe went everywhere from the ocean to swamps and sloughs chasing ducks

The weight of a fiberglass I would have never made it into half the places I went. I also would have destroyed a fiberglass in less than a season

It treated me well

58thecat
04-03-2020, 08:00 AM
1981 14' Coleman Tupperware garbage barge....still running strong...been on many a hunt, fishing trip and adventure.....even did the bowron trip in it....tuff as hell.

Oh and dropped it down cut lines to small remote island lakes, did a few unexpected white water too...

Lent it out lots and it came back solid as ever...not so much as the users as they had a few mishaps:scared0015:

calgarychef
04-03-2020, 08:12 AM
My 2 cents...

I grew ip in a Coleman canoe, I’ve had hundreds and hundreds of hours in one. Heavy and sluggish but bombproof, quiet and you’re well insulated from cold water. I used mine to shoot rats in the spring a lot and it’s been pulled over miles and miles of ice and rocks. I always worry about the plastic cracking in the cold but it never did. Remember heavy and sluggish!

Aluminum, I’ve had 2 aluminum canoes (both got stolen out of my yard),
Light, noisy and friggen cold

Fibreglass/Kevlar Heavy ish compared to aluminum, both of mine were pretty nimble even the 19 foot freighter. Fibreglass is nice to repair if you have to, and you can keep adding patches forever.

NEVER Buy a new canoe. There’s oodles of them for sale all over the place, and you can find a really good one for $300 or less.

58thecat
04-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Are you calling my canoe old, fat and slow?:fighting0074:

straight
04-03-2020, 08:27 AM
https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/how-to-choose-a-canoe

scesfiremedic
04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
I’ve done a lot of canoeing (rivers, lakes, ocean - Queen Charlottes, white water, calm water). What are you planning on using it for? That makes a big difference in selecting the right one for you. Are you doing just a 1 hour paddle on a lake? Are you doing overnight or multi day trips? Whitewater/rapids?

I’ve paddled the plastic Coleman’s and they’re a tug boat! Not fun.
I’ve paddled aluminum- I’d never own one!

I’ve owned a few Clipper Canoes (Tripper and a Solitude). The Tripper is a beautiful boat - fast, roomy and stable. My brother and his wife paddled a 15’ Prospector shaped canoe on the N. Saskatchewan River and couldn’t keep up to me and the GF in our Tripper. They quickly sold the tug boat and bought a Tripper too.

Have a look at: http://www.clippercanoes.com/buying-guide/

Aluminum is very noisy, so if you are photographing wildlife or are looking for peace and quiet, not the right choice. They are heavy and slow! (aluminum plus gravel = noise!).

Fibreglass is very durable and easy to repair.

Trust me, if you get caught paddling in any wind, you don’t want a traditional style canoe with the large sweeping bow catching all the wind, it doesn’t make paddling very easy or enjoyable trying to steer the canoe on course. I know from experience. The Tripper or Sea Clipper are great boats! If you can afford to buy the Kevlar model, even stronger and lighter weight than fibreglass. Clippers are available at Totem Outfitters and are Canadian made!

58thecat
04-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Given what the OP has put forth a fart aroumd general purpose lend it to,the kids canoe is what he would need...Coleman....I call them the garbage barge of the water....like I said got mine in 1981....

Also did a lot of fishing off king coho out in the ocean catching salmon in it chucking buzz bombs then over to the ferry docks to catch bottom fish too...never rinsed it off etc....never rusted....then back up to a mountain lake or run the puntledge River....hit lots of rocks....no repairs...

Now if I was a dedicated long hauler port ages etc then this is not for you...a clipper or something comes to mind...but sounds like you need a general purpose git'r'dun canoe...Coleman....

catnthehat
04-03-2020, 11:46 AM
I have a squareback Sportspal, indestructible and as agile as a Gooney bird on ice!:budo:
However, with a small motor it hauled myself and my son and our decoys we needed for hunting, it is light enough to carry with no issues, and floats even when filled with water.
However, when I remember all of the nice canoes I have owned and paddled over the years, this is NOT one of them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

owlhoot
04-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Are you calling my canoe old, fat and slow?:fighting0074:

I believe He said Heavy and Sluggish LOL,
My old Coleman is a bit of a Sow in the water but it is stable and you can drive it up on a gravel shore, bounce off rocks, stand up for a...…..

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 12:23 PM
I have a squareback Sportspal, indestructible and as agile as a Gooney bird on ice!:budo:
However, with a small motor it hauled myself and my son and our decoys we needed for hunting, it is light enough to carry with no issues, and floats even when filled with water.
However, when I remember all of the nice canoes I have owned and paddled over the years, this is NOT one of them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

I think you need a nice canoe and you can just let me dispose of that crappy Sportsapal for you :lol:

catnthehat
04-03-2020, 12:26 PM
I think you need a nice canoe and you can just let me dispose of that crappy Sportsapal for you :lol:

I will be building canoes once again, starting this summer, but the Sportspal is going NOWHERE!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
I will however, give you first crack at the firsst 16' strip canoe I build this year:)
Cat

cphunter
04-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Have you ever considered a packraft? I have an Alpacka explorer 42. Awesome portable boat.

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 01:28 PM
I will be building canoes once again, starting this summer, but the Sportspal is going NOWHERE!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
I will however, give you first crack at the firsst 16' strip canoe I build this year:)
Cat

I don’t blame you those Sportspals are great duck hunting and beat around canoes

Appreciate that but I am way to abusive for a strip canoe but definitely would be interested in seeing your work when you build one

Mr Flyguy
04-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Maybe it’s from childhood memories and the abuse I put my canoe through as a kid but have to recommend the aluminum sportspal canoes. They are light so they are easy to carry or drag. Pretty good stability and tough. I had a 14ft that would get dragged around into nasty hidden lakes, rivers, and ponds. Dragged over beaver dams and any other obstacle you can think of. That canoe went everywhere from the ocean to swamps and sloughs chasing ducks

The weight of a fiberglass I would have never made it into half the places I went. I also would have destroyed a fiberglass in less than a season

It treated me well

You bet. I'm on my second 14 ft Sportspal. Can take it everywhere.

58thecat
04-03-2020, 01:49 PM
If you are talking those ones wth the foam on the sides for stability I know they are thin cuz my grandpa had a few too many one trip and threw the anchor up in the air only to punch through the bottom....the swim back with the canoe in tow sobered him up...canoe didn't sink cuz of the foam that was attached to the sides...it had an Indian head on the front if my memory serves me right...sports pal...sports chief?

Sundancefisher
04-03-2020, 01:56 PM
I bought a used Ram X 15 canoe. Works great. These coleman...now Pelican canoes are great for all round applications. Just note that a true river canoe versus a lake canoe are different in shape. I have paddled a lake canoe down a river...not as much fun, whereas a lake canoe is nicer to be in on a lake when the wind starts to blow.

I don't have a motor but some flat backed ones can work well for that also. You can also get different lengths.

Not the best time for Kijiji shopping but that is where I got mine.

Hunter guy
04-03-2020, 01:57 PM
I just want it to float down some rivers on and nothing to dangerous something that will hold up decent I’ve been leaning towards a coleman

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 02:13 PM
If you are talking those ones wth the foam on the sides for stability I know they are thin cuz my grandpa had a few too many one trip and threw the anchor up in the air only to punch through the bottom....the swim back with the canoe in tow sobered him up...canoe didn't sink cuz of the foam that was attached to the sides...it had an Indian head on the front if my memory serves me right...sports pal...sports chief?

Those are the ones

Dewey Cox
04-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Ive got a 17' Grumman (aluminium)
I think it's great, but I've never used anything else for an extended period of time.
I like to think that during a multi day canoe trip the ability to pound out dents instead of deal with holes is an asset.

Yoter
04-03-2020, 04:16 PM
I have a 17 ft. Grumman square back. Great boat with a two horse outboard.
All Grummans have a keel, square stern or double-end. Not good for river/manouverability but help reduce dfift on a windy lake. Aluminum also "STICKS" on rocks in rapids. Colemans
"Slide" over rocks. My 2 cents.

Phil
04-03-2020, 04:35 PM
I have a 17' Coleman I purchased in the late 70's. It is not fast, it is not light (80 lbs) and it is not pretty but it has done everything I have asked for 40+ years.

Enough room for me, the wife 2 kids and a dog and very stable.
I have a side motor mount and with my electric trolling motor and with the battery sitting on the opposite side of the canoe it balances fine and works well.

I have used a 4hp outboard on the side mount on a moose hunt in Northern Manitoba but was very careful on how I packed to counterbalance the weight.

I had a friend who left one of these in the bush by his cabin in Northern Ontario one winter. When he went to get it in the spring he found a moose had stepped on it and the side was caved in. A couple of hours in the sun and it popped back good as new. Try that with an aluminum or fiberglass.

Phil

raised by wolves
04-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Plastic and aluminum boats are heavy and slow. They suck. But they are great for someone who is clumsy, careless around rocks, or has kids or halfwit family members that are likely to treat it poorly.

Kevlar shells are great but they need to be babied. The light weight makes them fast and maneuverable but they are delicate.

Fiberglass is a great as they give the benefit of light weight, fast, nimble, and are much more robust than the kevlar boats. I have used many different canoes but the fibreglass are my favourites.

Passthru
04-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Look up Hellman canoes. Best there is and Canadian made.

Selkirk
04-03-2020, 05:43 PM
Looking at buying a canoe what’s the best to go with and why!? Aluminum or plastic thanks

Be just for going down a few tame rivers and some smaller lakes, just need some opinions thanks

'Google Is Your Friend' 👉 https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=lsiHXqiGMMbS-gTglZHYAQ&q=how+to+choose+a+canoe&oq=how+to+choose+a+cano&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA yAggAMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46B QgAEIMBOgQIABAKOgYIABAHEB5KKQgXEiUwZzg0Zzg0Zzc5Zzc 3Zzg4Zzg2ZzgxZzkwZzgxZzc5Zzg3Zzk2Sh0IGBIZMGcxZzFnM WcxZzFnMWcyZzNnMmc1ZzVnMVCjDViGe2C5mQFoAHAAeACAAV2 IAaQOkgECMjSYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

Selkirk

Flight01
04-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Cat

If you are at all serious about building canoes I’d like to get in on that. I’m looking to build a traditional freighter. Was just going to order from Norwest Canoes but building local would be very interesting.
Remember I’m only 800 yards down the street from you.

catnthehat
04-03-2020, 07:16 PM
If you are at all serious about building canoes I’d like to get in on that. I’m looking to build a traditional freighter. Was just going to order from Norwest Canoes but building local would be very interesting.
Remember I’m only 800 yards down the street from you.

Yup, always look at your place when I head downtown!.
And yeah, i have my forms already, just have to get after it!
Most of my work will be done down at the lake however.:)
If you are planning to do one at your place I could certainly give you a hand however when I am up here.:)
Cat

M.C. Gusto
04-03-2020, 07:17 PM
I own a bunch of canoes. Some modern, some over 100 years old, one modern that built out of a 100 year old mold.... lots of canoes.
For what your describing, you should concentrate on getting something with a 2 inch rocker front and back. The classic Chestnut Prospector hull comes to mind, it’s a perfect all a rounder.

daveyn
04-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I have a nova craft prospector and its a wicked boat, It will easily carry all the gear you can pile in it and its very durable and quiet. Only issue is that I would like a boat with a keel and mine doesn't have one so you get a little sideslip in the wind, but other than that its an awesome boat.

Dewey Cox
04-03-2020, 07:44 PM
This thread is getting me excited for the spring.
It's cold and snowy outside right now, but in a couple months time we'll be paddling down the river, catching a couple fish, drinking a little beer, and generally not worrying about the state of the world today.

It can't get here soon enough.

fordtruckin
04-03-2020, 08:51 PM
I have a 17 ft. Grumman square back. Great boat with a two horse outboard.
All Grummans have a keel, square stern or double-end. Not good for river/manouverability but help reduce dfift on a windy lake. Aluminum also "STICKS" on rocks in rapids. Colemans
"Slide" over rocks. My 2 cents.

Yes aluminum sticks and sticks BAD! FIL has an 18' Grumman we used last year with low water. Sure was loud and bumpy, may have sprung the keel too on a couple rocks. Friends had a Coleman and they were much quieter and slid over the rocks. A Grumman would be perfect for use on lakes though. For a runabout boat without any intentions of lots of tripping and portages, I wouldn't do fiberglass or kevlar etc...

Wife and I just bought a Old Town Penobscot 16'. My sister and BIL have had that boat for a decade and highly recommended it. It is a 3 layer poly boat. Royalex isn't made any longer but the "new" formulation is called Tformex.

Personally I shy'd away from buying a used canoe. I've seen way too many "good deals" on Craigslist and when you go look the hull is cracked or the gunwales are shot. Last thing I would want is to buy a boat someone had spiffed up, only to take it on a trip and have it fail.

ALOT of Coleman's for sale in the used market. Most of the other makes like Old Town, Mad River, Wenonah and Clipper were as expensive as buying new. At least new I have a warranty and know the history of the craft.

Barry D
04-03-2020, 09:37 PM
I have an Oldtown Tripper ( no keel, 2" of rocker) that I have used for 30 yrs now. ( I just looked it up and I paid $1,050.00 back in 1983 from MEC in Calgary) Back when it was a real outdoor store. Anyway, It was the first generation of the ABS plastic technology in canoes. Well it has stood the test of time and a lot of rapids and not always up-side right. I put kevlar skid plates on both ends and lowered the seats 2". Did a few hunts in it and it carried all our gear for a weeks hunt and a big bull elk for the last two days. It is a fantastic canoe for bigger loads in rough river water, but not good for the wind on open water. Tough as they get for bouncing off of rocks when swamped, but light enough to be easy to manage by yourself on portages.They slide on rocks, clean up real nice with a bailing sponge, and are warm and quiet. Don't forget that part if you are a hunter.
Fibreglass- light, fast, fairly quiet, can't take the rocks very well when rubbing in the shallows. They break real easy when swamped and hit anything. Those are the ones you see all along Alberta river shores.
Aluminum- Light, fast, noisy, cold, feels like you got breaks every time you even rub on rocks, and can have you stuck and then swamped in a blink of an eye. They don't break, but stay for ever bent when swamped and hit something. Bent them back to get out of the bush, and you better have Red Green volume of duct tape to seal the breaks and cracks.
Every thing with a Keel is good in wind, but terrible in white water for doing the quick side step around obstacles. No keel, means don't go in wind unless you want to work hard, or end up not enjoying canoeing very much.
Price point is always an issue, so Colman is by far the cheapest, toughest, but fails in all other categories. It is made to pop out of a mold real nice, but not slide through any type of water. Very good for building muscles though.

58thecat
04-04-2020, 10:38 AM
I have a 17' Coleman I purchased in the late 70's. It is not fast, it is not light (80 lbs) and it is not pretty but it has done everything I have asked for 40+ years.

Enough room for me, the wife 2 kids and a dog and very stable.
I have a side motor mount and with my electric trolling motor and with the battery sitting on the opposite side of the canoe it balances fine and works well.

I have used a 4hp outboard on the side mount on a moose hunt in Northern Manitoba but was very careful on how I packed to counterbalance the weight.

I had a friend who left one of these in the bush by his cabin in Northern Ontario one winter. When he went to get it in the spring he found a moose had stepped on it and the side was caved in. A couple of hours in the sun and it popped back good as new. Try that with an aluminum or fiberglass.

Phil

Just a good do it all canoe that will be there for many more years of use with no care nor maintenance....I just flip mine over on two saw horses in the elements by the wood shed....

calgarychef
04-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Yes aluminum sticks and sticks BAD! FIL has an 18' Grumman we used last year with low water. Sure was loud and bumpy, may have sprung the keel too on a couple rocks. Friends had a Coleman and they were much quieter and slid over the rocks. A Grumman would be perfect for use on lakes though. For a runabout boat without any intentions of lots of tripping and portages, I wouldn't do fiberglass or kevlar etc...

Wife and I just bought a Old Town Penobscot 16'. My sister and BIL have had that boat for a decade and highly recommended it. It is a 3 layer poly boat. Royalex isn't made any longer but the "new" formulation is called Tformex.

Personally I shy'd away from buying a used canoe. I've seen way too many "good deals" on Craigslist and when you go look the hull is cracked or the gunwales are shot. Last thing I would want is to buy a boat someone had spiffed up, only to take it on a trip and have it fail.

ALOT of Coleman's for sale in the used market. Most of the other makes like Old Town, Mad River, Wenonah and Clipper were as expensive as buying new. At least new I have a warranty and know the history of the craft.

I’ve bought some great canoes used, one does have to use their eyes and brain when buying anything used. I looked at one chestnut canoe, it was gorgeous from the top. The seller got uneasy when I flipped it over.
The canvas was shot. If I’d have gotten it cheap enough I could easily have fixed it but the price was too high. So I walked away... that’s easy to do.

There’s always 2 kinds of buyers for stuff. Some want new with a warranty and others don’t care. I’m in the don’t care category. You can always sell stuff that you bought used and not lose much if any money on it.

I’d love to be in a canoe right now instead of cooped up.

trapperdodge
04-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Lots of good comments here. I have 5 canoes at the moment. 2 wood canvas, 2 aluminum and a SP. Depending what you want out of a canoe, they all have their place.

One thing about a SP is that bears love the lining. If you leave them out in bear country you might get a nasty surprise.

Dewey Cox
04-04-2020, 03:06 PM
What's an sp?

58thecat
04-04-2020, 03:22 PM
It's cold and snowy outside right now, but in a couple months time we'll be paddling down the river, catching a couple fish, drinking a little beer, and generally not worrying about the state of the world today.

I hear ya.....

Selkirk
04-04-2020, 03:23 PM
What's an sp?

Sports Pal is a brand of canoe. They look like this 👇

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/75646498_614.jpg

Selkirk

Dewey Cox
04-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Thank you
:)

58thecat
04-04-2020, 03:28 PM
they were that reliable that they screwed on two pool noodles...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Selkirk
04-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Same ☝ here ❗

But out in my neck-o-the-woods (West Kootenays, BC) we'll be starting to do that, in the next couple o' weeks. :47b20s0:

Selkirk

Bushleague
04-04-2020, 03:43 PM
I currently own two canoes, have owned several others, and will be purchasing a third one for solo trips whenever this virus thing is over. My personal favorite is my Mad River Explorer. Its been from Michigan to Alaska, we've caught millions of fish out of it, logged thousands of miles, and paddled several metric tons of moose and elk meat out of the back country in it. These days, now that Royalex is a thing of the past, I'd look pretty hard at a fiberglass Novacraft Prospector if I needed another "all arounder".

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48875090318_fa9aa5c366_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hsVBz1)DSCF1221 (https://flic.kr/p/2hsVBz1) by [/url], on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49735651778_d1d7ee3a0e_k.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/)DSCF1060 (https://flic.kr/p/2iLYdvy) by , on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/1844/43519187095_be3947eba3_k.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/)P9230052 (https://flic.kr/p/29iDd8Z) by , on Flickr

Not the Explorer, but still a great pic, daughter caught this one on Lesser Slave. Was bit of a Nantucket sleigh ride, just one of many.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49736168691_05dab94779_k.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/)DSCF1036 (https://flic.kr/p/2iM1SaR) by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/], on Flickr

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 03:49 PM
they were that reliable that they screwed on two pool noodles...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Those noodles are a gun rest for when you can’t call the moose any closer :snapoutofit:

calgarychef
04-04-2020, 03:49 PM
This was $150.00. Came with 3 paddles and life jackets.
She was a poor old thing, well used but neglected. I stripped it and replaced the gunwales etc.

Bushleague
04-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Those noodles are a gun rest for when you can’t call the moose any closer :snapoutofit:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but having owned one, the Sportspal was my least favorite canoe I've ever used. I honestly think twice about referring to those bloody things as actual "canoes". I wouldn't trade a case of cheap beer for a Sportspal, and would not recommend them to anyone.

That said, they do float and they are light, and if you like yours then don't let me ruin your fun. But if you've never had the chance to spend some time in a high quality tripping canoe, I think it would be a big eye opener.

catnthehat
04-04-2020, 04:27 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but having owned one, the Sportspal was my least favorite canoe I've ever used. I honestly think twice about referring to those bloody things as actual "canoes". I wouldn't trade a case of cheap beer for a Sportspal, and would not recommend them to anyone.

That said, they do float and they are light, and if you like yours then don't let me ruin your fun. But if you've never had the chance to spend some time in a high quality tripping canoe, I think it would be a big eye opener.

I treat mine like the old Portaboat I used to own, toss it into the truck and throw it into a beaver pond setting out decoys or shooting beavers, don't worry about beating it up or anything, but I prefer to use the small outboard on it.
When I do paddle it it is mostly just to go out and pick up ducks, etc.
At the lake I prefer my 12' tinner, which is about in the same shape as the SportsPal- beat up! LOL I don't have to go much further than 100 yards to get into good fishing.
Cat

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 04:29 PM

No worries I am mostly just giving him a hard time lol

Really you need to go with what fits your needs. For me a canoe is for getting into crappy locations and waters I would not dare try to drag a boat into. So for me a light weight canoe I can drag or carry for long distances and drag over crap solo is most important.

I use my boat for good access location and comfort

I have paddled some nice fiberglass canoes and when they are in the water they are nicer to paddle I agree. I just hated hauling them and missed the mobility that was most important to me in a canoe

Got to go with what fits the purpose you want a canoe for is all

catnthehat
04-04-2020, 04:31 PM
All this canoe talk has got me itching to do another canoe trip on the Athabasca or the Clearwater this fall:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

catnthehat
04-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Sports Pal is a brand of canoe. They look like this 👇

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/75646498_614.jpg

Selkirk
Mine's a little square back.
Cat
https://i.imgur.com/DtP3Vzh.jpg

Bushleague
04-04-2020, 04:36 PM

Really you need to go with what fits your needs. For me a canoe is for getting into crappy locations and waters I would not dare try to drag a boat into. So for me a light weight canoe I can drag or carry for long distances and drag over crap solo is most important.

I have paddled some nice fiberglass canoes and when they are in the water they are nicer to paddle I agree. I just hated hauling them and missed the mobility that was most important to me in a canoe

You make some valid points there. IMO the canoes great strength in a fishing situations is its combination of portability and its range on the water. These two strengths need to be balanced by the individual, for me giving up some portability for a more seaworthy craft is a smart move. For others maybe not so much.

As I stated I'm in the market for another one. This canoe will be a 15' Bob Special. More portable and a better solo boat than my big trippers, but still capable of weekend tandem trips.

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 04:46 PM
You make some valid points there. IMO the canoes great strength in a fishing situations is its combination of portability and its range on the water. These two strengths need to be balanced by the individual, for me giving up some portability for a more seaworthy craft is a smart move. For others maybe not so much.

As I stated I'm in the market for another one. This canoe will be a 15' Bob Special. More portable and a better solo boat than my big trippers, but still capable of weekend tandem trips.

I understand the different position and hey that is why there is so many different styles of canoe

See we have different priorities for me hunting is the main purpose for owning a canoe. I still use them for fishing at times but not as often

In the end a guy just has to go with what fits

Dewey Cox
04-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Are the pads on the sportspal for flotation if you sink her?

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 05:14 PM

Floatation and stability is the theory

Bushleague
04-04-2020, 05:19 PM
I understand the different position and hey that is why there is so many different styles of canoe

See we have different priorities for me hunting is the main purpose for owning a canoe. I still use them for fishing at times but not as often

In the end a guy just has to go with what fits

Yes, I do a great deal of hunting with mine... one of my main beefs with the Sportpal. I never tried it, but I wouldn't want to haul a mature whitetail buck in one... let alone a quartered moose, 2 guys, and two weeks worth of camping gear. If you've hauled big game in yours then I salute you... after a few trips in mine I would never have even tried to hunt big game in it.

Either way I'll raise my can of "Brewhouse" (the only beer I could find in these BS times) to all of us here on this thread... most of us can afford to buy more spendy toys, infact most of us own a few, but unlike so many we've never forgot the simple joy of setting out in our canoe and bringing home supper, as great outdoorsmen have for hundreds of years. May there always be a few of us to carry the torch.

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 05:40 PM
Yes, I do a great deal of hunting with mine... one of my main beefs with the Sportpal. I never tried it, but I wouldn't want to haul a mature whitetail buck in one... let alone a quartered moose, 2 guys, and two weeks worth of camping gear. If you've hauled big game in yours then I salute you... after a few trips in mine I would never have even tried to hunt big game in it.

I am originally from BC and dragged a sportspal through the bush into remote swamps and then used it as a sled to drag out the de boned moose many times. Also between friends and family we hauled mule deer, blacktail, Whitetail, black bear, grizzly, mt goat and lots of waterfowl in them. They will get the job done but am not saying there was never any damage.

Now I can admit I have bent and broke ribs. I also had to patch the holes and added dents but I abused the canoe lots. I did lots of crazy things you should not do with a canoe

I have not owned one for a while but my cousin might still have my spray painted beater lol

58thecat
04-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Drag a canoe...heck we used to fill it full of our gear and push it down the cut line to the waters edge...even rode it down like a sled....that was a little sketchy as we picked up speed bouncing off stumps....she has some long scrapes and rolled up plastic underneath....don't do this with the sports pal might loose a pool noodle.....

58thecat
04-04-2020, 06:44 PM

Yup...after grandpa put the anchor through the bottom he swam with the canoe to shore...he banged her into shape and patched it up....back at it next wk-end.

Smoky buck
04-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Drag a canoe...heck we used to fill it full of our gear and push it down the cut line to the waters edge...even rode it down like a sled....that was a little sketchy as we picked up speed bouncing off stumps....she has some long scrapes and rolled up plastic underneath....don't do this with the sports pal might loose a pool noodle.....

We have road them down hill and sent animal down hill in them too.

Like I said lots of dumb crazy things lol

Selkirk
04-04-2020, 07:21 PM

Say What ❓❗ :scared0015:

Trying to compare a 'High Quality Tripping Canoe' (I've owned two) with a 'SportsPal Canoe', is like trying to compare an Arrow with a Wheelbarrow ... they are two Totally Different canoes, made for Completely Different purposes. Both are good for their intended purposes, but they are Definitely 'Not' comparable ❗

I think this thread has just got a little too Silly ... I'm outta here,

Selkirk

CanuckShooter
04-04-2020, 07:46 PM

My canoe is a Clipper, BUT those sportspals are excellent for fishing small lakes in the spring when the water is really cold. Just use a small electric to power it around because they aren't the best to paddle. I'd give them a little more value than one case of beer.

Bushleague
04-04-2020, 08:06 PM
My canoe is a Clipper, BUT those sportspals are excellent for fishing small lakes in the spring when the water is really cold. Just use a small electric to power it around because they aren't the best to paddle. I'd give them a little more value than one case of beer.

And I'd rather drink the beer, and then use my tripper for whatever you guys figure the Sportspal is not utterly failing at.

Disclaimer... the beers are now gone, on to whisky, enjoy your sportspal… could use a few more beers... might be willing to trade a sportspal for a case of Big Rock. Just sayin'

58thecat
04-05-2020, 07:37 AM

Depends on the brand of beer....as with canoe's not are all equal.:)

fordtruckin
04-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Depends on the brand of beer....as with canoe's not are all equal.:)

What you don’t like Natty Ice?? Bahaha

58thecat
04-05-2020, 07:16 PM
What you don’t like Natty Ice?? Bahaha

Since I have a 30 year old Vancouver island bought Coleman canoe I think it would be comparable to lucky lager....:sHa_shakeshout:

fordtruckin
04-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Since I have a 30 year old Vancouver island bought Coleman canoe I think it would be comparable to lucky lager....:sHa_shakeshout:

Hahaha haven’t heard of Lucky for years!

58thecat
04-06-2020, 06:03 AM
Hahaha haven’t heard of Lucky for years!

You and I need to plan a trip.....:happy0180:

Hunter guy
04-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Good or bad we’ll see I bought a 17ft Coleman canoe not the ram x older one but we’ll see how it is, for as much as I’m gonna use it I hope it does the trick thanks for all the input guys

Bigrib
04-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Coleman is like a Model T , basic transportation and tough. Plus you can tow it over snow . Heavy to portage solo . Less likely to get stolen lol

These days you can get a wide variety of canoes for each unique use , racing , solo, whitewater canoes you can roll , folding canoes etc etc

As we age weight of the canoe becomes important , use a cart or buy/make a sub 30 lb canoe .

58thecat
04-07-2020, 05:47 AM
Good or bad we’ll see I bought a 17ft Coleman canoe not the ram x older one but we’ll see how it is, for as much as I’m gonna use it I hope it does the trick thanks for all the input guys

We have a winner...Coleman.....you won't be disappointed given what you mentioned what you would use it for....too bad you didn't live closer I could have lent mine out to you.

Brbpuppy
04-07-2020, 06:27 AM
We have a winner...Coleman.....you won't be disappointed given what you mentioned what you would use it for....too bad you didn't live closer I could have lent mine out to you.

Is the Pelican canoe the new Coleman?

58thecat
04-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Is the Pelican canoe the new Coleman?

from what I gather yes...made by coleman….just a fancy name attached and a few more niceties than the old barge I have….

disregard this post....research shows me Pelican make'em now.

Brbpuppy
04-07-2020, 08:25 AM
from what I gather yes...made by coleman….just a fancy name attached and a few more niceties than the old barge I have….

Thank you

58thecat
04-07-2020, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=Brbpuppy;4144478]Is the Pelican canoe the new Coleman?[/QUOTE

Yup..they make'em now...just a little fancier is all....not sure if they are as durable though.

Brbpuppy
04-07-2020, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=Brbpuppy;4144478]Is the Pelican canoe the new Coleman?[/QUOTE

Yup..they make'em now...just a little fancier is all....not sure if they are as durable though.

Yeah I googled it. Seems like the biggest complaint is the seats..

alpineguy
04-07-2020, 09:01 AM
1981 14' Coleman Tupperware garbage barge....still running strong...been on many a hunt, fishing trip and adventure.....even did the bowron trip in it....tuff as hell.

Oh and dropped it down cut lines to small remote island lakes, did a few unexpected white water too...

Lent it out lots and it came back solid as ever...not so much as the users as they had a few mishaps:scared0015:

Currently have 3 Coleman plastics at our fly in camp. As stated above....."tough"

These canoes have been outside for over 30 years, dragged through bush and over rocks.....second picture shows where a bear chewed on the front and we just patched it up with some plastic patch.
We love them so much we just flew the 3rd one in last spring. We mainly leave them at more remote spots (hike in) and areas that we can't get the aluminum boats into.

https://i.imgur.com/IZcAtq7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Iwzsp9D.jpg

alpineguy
04-07-2020, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=58thecat;4144563]

Yeah I googled it. Seems like the biggest complaint is the seats..

Definitely not like riding in a Cadillac!!

fordtruckin
04-07-2020, 11:09 AM
You and I need to plan a trip.....:happy0180:

Let the shenanigans begin! you bring Lucky and I’ll bring Natty Ice... lol

Hunter guy
04-14-2020, 10:21 PM
There it is, can’t wait for some places to open up and give it a try

Dewey Cox
04-14-2020, 11:33 PM
A bottle of fireball fits nicely in the hand hole on the front of those Coleman's.
Allegedly.

bsmitty27
04-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Please view this ad:

16’ fibreglass canoe,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-paddle-boat/calgary/16-fibreglass-canoe/1496650047?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*250

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
https://tinyurl.com/9x9f4jd

58thecat
04-17-2020, 02:29 PM
There it is, can’t wait for some places to open up and give it a try

mine is orange in color...higher end model:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dewey Cox
04-17-2020, 02:43 PM
Did the orange ones start out orange?
Or did they fade to that colour like the seats at commonwealth stadium?

58thecat
04-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Did the orange ones start out orange?
Or did they fade to that colour like the seats at commonwealth stadium?

Nope was not red....orange....just a duller orange now but yup can see it coming a mile away....:)

BCSteel
04-18-2020, 08:26 PM
I had a plastic Coleman bathtub for a few years. Not very fast or nice to look at but no problem taking an extraordinary amount of abuse and never skipping a beat.

bloopbloob
04-18-2020, 10:00 PM
I had a fiberglass 18', it was very nice, leather seats and all... I kind of miss it still. Something about the peacefulness of a canoe. It Had the square transom on the back, plopped a 56ft lb minn kota on it, and in pure silence, it would do something like 15km/hr. Really moved. And when I wanted to paddle, it was effortless. Now I want a canoe again! Haha

V_1
04-19-2020, 12:20 PM
I saw quite a few religious clashes up in this tread :)
Would I take expensive (and/or heavy) quality canoe to fly-in camp? Probably not.
Would I leave such canoe laying around for a long time even in a backcountry? Hmmm... not likely.
Would I take aluminum canoe to class III(+) river? Probably not.
Would I take square stern canoe to paddling trip where possibly I'll need do fine manoeuvring, back ferries etc? I'd rather not.

All boat have time and place, tho I still think life is too short to paddle bad canoes, any canoe is better than no canoe.
:bad_boys_20:

Bigrib
04-20-2020, 01:17 AM
Don Gardner of Alberta , has a great blog . He knows how to build many items the old way and shares his knowledge here , including canoes http://dongardner.blogspot.com/