PDA

View Full Version : a day at the hospital

Red Bullets
04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
So I ended up spending the day in the hospital yesterday and thought I would just say...

I went to one of the busiest hospitals in Edmonton and it was an eye opener. I know it is not the ideal time to be going to such a place but had to go. And to my amazement at 8 am I was one of two people in emergency. I was triaged and seen in less than 5 minutes and had emergency staff treating me like I was the king of Alberta. I was there for 12 hours and the care was wonderful.

It really revealed to me how many people must go to emergency needlessly during non virus crisis times. The staff commented that if emergency was used for true emergency needs like presently our hospitals, doctors and health care system would be so much better off.

I am doing ok now and back at home. A big thank you to our doctors, nurses and support staff for their help and diligence in keeping us safe and healthy.

Ken07AOVette
04-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Sure glad everything is ok- but what was the reason? Is this an ongoing or unexpected thing Eugene?

MK2750
04-03-2020, 08:39 AM
So I ended up spending the day in the hospital yesterday and thought I would just say...

I went to one of the busiest hospitals in Edmonton and it was an eye opener. I know it is not the ideal time to be going to such a place but had to go. And to my amazement at 8 am I was one of two people in emergency. I was triaged and seen in less than 5 minutes and had emergency staff treating me like I was the king of Alberta. I was there for 12 hours and the care was wonderful.

It really revealed to me how many people must go to emergency needlessly during non virus crisis times. The staff commented that if emergency was used for true emergency needs like presently our hospitals, doctors and health care system would be so much better off.

I am ok now and back at home. A big thank you to our doctors, nurses and support staff for their help and diligence in keeping us safe and healthy.

Glad you are okay. The slow down might be that people are not having many emergencies sitting around the house watching the plants grow. My only chance of getting hurt is if the TV blows up or a bored retriever dumps my Lazy Boy when I doze off.

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 08:40 AM
You are seeing what is going on in a lot of hospitals but I do know one hospital in a small town that increased with people demanding testing

One thing that has been made very clear is that people have been running to the emergency for unnecessary reasons just because they can. Hopefully after all this is over the trend of people only going to emergency for legitimate reasons continues.

jrowan
04-03-2020, 08:45 AM
I mean due to less traffic they do have fewer emergencies coming in right now, which is what we want.

Still you are absolutely right. Go a cough or fever below 105 F? See you family doc or go to a place that does walk-ins. Broke your arm but the bone ain't sticking out? Phone 811 and see if maybe you should go to urgent care. Got something when you can barely breathe, bleeding profusely to almost passing out, or something is wrong with your heart? Go to emergency.

I've made a trip to each over my lifetime already and I can honestly say that I've never waited more than an hour to be seen. If you go to the ER and wait 2-3 hours it's because you either shouldn't be there or unfortunately your injury just isn't as urgent as others coming in.

58thecat
04-03-2020, 08:57 AM

I am doing ok now and back at home. A big thank you to our doctors, nurses and support staff for their help and diligence in keeping us safe and healthy.

Good to hear it went well and your doing ok.

Yup we got some of the best people out there doing the best they can everyday and even more so during trying times.

Red Bullets
04-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Sure glad everything is ok- but what was the reason? Is this an ongoing or unexpected thing Eugene?

Totally unexpected. I was awakened at 7 am and had something happening internally that was putting my body in crisis. Excruciating pain and my body was reacting accordingly. Profuse sweating with no fever, internal quivering and enough pain to knock out a horse. I suspected it was an organ failure or rupture. Without saying too much... Fortunately it wasn't an organ failure and it was determined that the malady did need quick attention. Turns out that a certain internal part had twisted on itself and was strangulating and necrotizing. Doctors were able to restore the proper position to the part and save the day. And this morning I am pain free. According to the docs had I not gone to the hospital it could have been a different story.

A funny thing... A really cute nurse was in my cubicle and I asked her for a kiss. She replied, "No way!!! I shouldn't even be in bed with you!" :) haha

fishinhogdaddy
04-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Good on you for recognizing that you needed treatment.
My best wishes and prayers Eugene.
FHD

JD848
04-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Good on you for recognizing that you needed treatment.
My best wishes and prayers Eugene.
FHD

X2 Take care and All the best.

JD

drake
04-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear it. Emergency rooms in NYC are so over burdened with covid related emergencies that EMS have been instructed NOT to transport any cardiac arrest patients to the emergency room. That means that if mom/dad/brother/sister etc has the big one and hits the floor, EMS will not perform CPR. Glad that Canadians (for the most part) are taking this covid situation seriously.

Big Grey Wolf
04-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Believe they may be getting major hospitals in Edmonton and Calgary ready for Covid-19. They probably moved lot of patients to area units to make space and also keep corona from other patients. "The calm before the storm".

DiabeticKripple
04-03-2020, 01:58 PM
This just proves that people should have to pay a fee if they go to emergency and it’s not an emergency.

stuckincity
04-03-2020, 02:17 PM
This just proves that people should have to pay a fee if they go to emergency and it’s not an emergency.

I've been saying that for years, if not decades. 100 bucks would be reasonable, with a full instant refund if it really is an emergency.

That'll keep out the snowflakes with a owie on the fingee; or a little sniffle, etc, that should go to a doctor's office or a walk-in clinic.

BTW, I also think addicts and drunks that did it to themselves should go to the absolute bottom of the Triage list, instead of getting preferential treatment ahead of everyone else.

Ken07AOVette
04-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Haha that's awesome, love it!

Too good, old fella lol

HunterDave
04-03-2020, 02:23 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend.

I'd have to be in serious medical need to go anywhere near a hospital right now out of fear of catching the virus. It could be that many people feel the same way.

DiabeticKripple
04-03-2020, 02:52 PM
I've been saying that for years, if not decades. 100 bucks would be reasonable, with a full instant refund if it really is an emergency.

That'll keep out the snowflakes with a owie on the fingee; or a little sniffle, etc, that should go to a doctor's office or a walk-in clinic.

BTW, I also think addicts and drunks that did it to themselves should go to the absolute bottom of the Triage list, instead of getting preferential treatment ahead of everyone else.

I would say that the fee would be administered prior to discharge, not upon triage.

If you show up with a small cut that needs stitches, sniffles, needing a prescription renewed etc, you should have to pay the fee ($100-250) before you are allowed to leave.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Red Bullets, I’m sure you were a bit anxious to have to go to the hospital during these times.

Jim Blake
04-03-2020, 03:32 PM
I just read an article in the Calgary Herald that said because of Provincial cuts to doctors compensation the Doctors at the Moose and Squirrel Clinic in Sundre have given the Province 90 days notice they will be withdrawing acute and emergency services in the local Hospital. There are 8 Doctors in that Clinic.

They will continue to serve patients in their Clinic but not at the Hospital.

Dr. Michelle Warren said they suspect similar action will occur throughout the Province.

EZM
04-03-2020, 03:36 PM
You are seeing what is going on in a lot of hospitals but I do know one hospital in a small town that increased with people demanding testing

One thing that has been made very clear is that people have been running to the emergency for unnecessary reasons just because they can. Hopefully after all this is over the trend of people only going to emergency for legitimate reasons continues.

That's strange.

In order to get a test here in the city you can't walk into any hospital or clinic and demand a test - they don't have tests (for general screening at the request of the patient) in many places with the exception of hospitals who have a small number of kits for patients incoming into emergency.

You have to call Healthlink, they schedule a test at a "secret location" that is not a hospital and give you an appointment time. There is no other way to "demand" a test and walk into any medical place with a potentially serious virus and/or exposing yourself to a potentially serious virus if you "hunch" is wrong.

They also will not grant you a test unless they feel you are a high potential patient. If you just have symptoms (that don't get to the point you need hospitalization) they tell you to quarantine and stay home and keep an eye on yourself. From what I understand they are doing only 1 test for every 12 people that "demand" one.

I am stunned small hospitals tolerate that given the extreme risk that "demanding" public imposes upon other at the hospital there, and the risk to themselves and intake medical people.

If was joe small town mayor, I'd be putting a cop in the parking lot to turn these people away.

Unless you have serious medical issues people should stay away from hospitals and clinics right now.

Some people are seriously stupid.

KegRiver
04-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Gee Eugene that sounds scary, I'm glad I didn't hear about it until it was all over, I'd a been worried sick.
We still have coffee to drink.

Bigwoodsman
04-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Im glad to hear you are OK Red. Also good to hear they took good care of you while you were there.

BW

EZM
04-03-2020, 03:40 PM

I'm glad they were able to fix you up !!!! all the best red

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 03:47 PM
That's strange.

In order to get a test here in the city you can't walk into any hospital or clinic and demand a test - they don't have tests (for general screening at the request of the patient) in many places with the exception of hospitals who have a small number of kits for patients incoming into emergency.

You have to call Healthlink, they schedule a test at a "secret location" that is not a hospital and give you an appointment time. There is no other way to "demand" a test and walk into any medical place with a potentially serious virus and/or exposing yourself to a potentially serious virus if you "hunch" is wrong.

I am stunned small hospitals tolerate that given the extreme risk that "demanding" public imposes upon other at the hospital there, and the risk to themselves and intake medical people.

If was joe small town mayor, I'd be putting a cop in the parking lot to turn these people away.

Unless you have serious medical issues people should stay away from hospitals and clinics right now.

Some people are seriously stupid.

It’s a small northern BC town so possibly different protocols for starters second the town is full of “special people” and they don’t listen properly either

It’s the only hospital that I know of that has had this and I seen pics to prove it. All the healthcare workers I know in other areas are seeing a decrease

Stinky Buffalo
04-03-2020, 04:02 PM
A funny thing... A really cute nurse was in my cubicle and I asked her for a kiss. She replied, "No way!!! I shouldn't even be in bed with you!" :) haha

Glad you're on the mend... And that your sense of humor is still intact! :sHa_shakeshout:

EZM
04-03-2020, 05:07 PM
It’s a small northern BC town so possibly different protocols for starters second the town is full of “special people” and they don’t listen properly either

It’s the only hospital that I know of that has had this and I seen pics to prove it. All the healthcare workers I know in other areas are seeing a decrease

Sorry Smoky, I wasn't doubting your credibility, that wasn't what I was trying to say - sorry.

And .... I do believe 100% that could happen in small isolated communities - my comments were just more or less, how short sighted, irrational and demanding people can be sometimes.

I know fear and paranoia can lead people to stop thinking pragmatically.

brendan's dad
04-03-2020, 05:16 PM
It can happen to anyone at any age. I was 21 years old living in the US (thank god I had health insurance) I woke in the middle of the night with the same type of symptoms. Ambulance ride and 8 hours in the hospital. Bowel twisted on its self. To this day, worst pain I ever experienced.

Glad you are ok.

shakeyleg02
04-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Glad you are ok Eugene ..hope things are going good from now on

Smoky buck
04-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Sorry Smoky, I wasn't doubting your credibility, that wasn't what I was trying to say - sorry.

And .... I do believe 100% that could happen in small isolated communities - my comments were just more or less, how short sighted, irrational and demanding people can be sometimes.

I know fear and paranoia can lead people to stop thinking pragmatically.

I did not take it that way all is good :happy0034:

It’s definitely not normal that’s why my wife got her friend to take a pic of the full parking lot and street lined with cars.

ESOXangler
04-03-2020, 09:44 PM

It's impossible to decide that. I used to agree with you but sometimes people dont know and rely on an expert to comfort them.

Instead what I think would work better would be to have a onsite medical clinic staffed with GPs and Practioners that could help take the weight off. Basically when the intake staff are assessing triage level they could refer the lower levels to the clinic staff. This would free up extra space plus help those that needed it faster.

Lefty-Canuck
04-03-2020, 09:47 PM
I do a lot of work in hospitals and this is how they should be... too many people go there for stupid things and tie up the system for those who need it. People seemingly go to some just to hang out... the nurses I talked to today say it’s nice they are able to assist those who are in need, they aren’t getting a lot of frivolous visits right now.

LC

Drewski Canuck
04-03-2020, 10:49 PM

For our friend Red Bullets' visit to what has to be the Royal Alex Hospital, the sad truth is it is constantly being overwhelmed by Drug Addicts overdosing on Fentenyl, Homeless Mental Health Patients looking for drugs, etc.

My Niece works there, and the stories of homeless simply going to Emerg to try to get drugs, and drug addicts going to try and steal drugs, and Fentenyl overdoses 3 times on a long weekend at a cost of $8,500 per admission / resuscitation, I really respect her for staying in Nursing.

Maybe some good is coming out of this crisis in keeping the emergency wards clear of abuse. When things settle down, it will be more of the same. As for getting the abusers to pay, they are already being paid for by Tax Dollars. The abusers would simply be exempt from the service charge.

Drewski

ghfalls
04-03-2020, 11:01 PM
What if ER’s had a $40 deductible just to tell them your name at the desk? Wouldn’t generate much money but I bet it would save a pile of tax dollars, and make wait time’s for important stuff a lot shorter. I, for one , wouldn’t oppose that. No free passes for prego, new Canadians, First Nations, seniors or anyone.

mooseknuckle
04-03-2020, 11:04 PM
For our friend Red Bullets' visit to what has to be the Royal Alex Hospital, the sad truth is it is constantly being overwhelmed by Drug Addicts overdosing on Fentenyl, Homeless Mental Health Patients looking for drugs, etc.

My Niece works there, and the stories of homeless simply going to Emerg to try to get drugs, and drug addicts going to try and steal drugs, and Fentenyl overdoses 3 times on a long weekend at a cost of $8,500 per admission / resuscitation, I really respect her for staying in Nursing.

Maybe some good is coming out of this crisis in keeping the emergency wards clear of abuse. When things settle down, it will be more of the same. As for getting the abusers to pay, they are already being paid for by Tax Dollars. The abusers would simply be exempt from the service charge.

Drewski

So are they just refusing entry for these abusers? Must be, cuz there is no virus/pandemic that would stop a true addict. Not being fecisious.... really honestly asking.

Iron Brew
04-03-2020, 11:12 PM

If you are going to do that, make it 5 hours of wages, that way those who make a lot more money pay more. Those who make minimum wage pay less. But everybody pays the equivalent portion of their income.

Red Bullets
04-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Thank you to all for the best wishes form everyone. Drewski thought the Royal Alex but I actually went to the U of A. And yes I was very concerned about having to go to a hospital but my fears subsided quickly when there.

Thank heavens we live in amazing medical times. Even 50 years ago I would have been dead three times over.

elk eater
04-03-2020, 11:51 PM
User fee is where it’s at. The doctor can decide wether to waive the fee or not during the visit. If he deems it an Emergency then no pay. If you have a common cold then you pay.

If you have 60 days to pay then those who need financial assistance could have time to apply to have it waived.

nimrod
04-04-2020, 07:04 AM
This whole thread shows that our medical help is in good shape, great when you can just show up and within 5 minute wait, your on your way to help, Im sure how the system was to work, but some like to push a stick into its wheel, to slow the line.Take care Red Bullets

igorot
04-04-2020, 07:50 AM
Wait till the regulars ER customer will be back and the line up for pregnancy test.:medium-smiley-035:

Fish along
04-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Happy to know you are ok,best of luck to you.

daveyn
04-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Paying a fee for ER access is a bad idea because it prevents people who are unsure if they have a real emergency or not from going to get help and any competent ER Doc would tell you "if you aren't sure please come in"
2 examples
Buddy has a heart attack, 3 weeks later he is home and gets that same feeling in his chest, gets taken to the ER and finds out its indigestion. $100. 3 weeks later gets the same feeling and decides he's not going to pay $100 to find out its indigestion again because the rent is due this week. Dies on the kitchen floor to save $100.
Mom at home with her kids, Kid says he's got a belly ache, Mom thinks $100 to take the kid to the ER to find out he had 4 hotdogs and a pop for lunch at school, no way" tells the kid to go lie down and gives him some gravol. Kid gets a burst appendix cause mom is afraid to spend the money on an non emergency.
YOu also then have medical staff tied up with taking payments or arguing with people who don't want to or can't pay the fee and genuinely need help.
It works in theory but in practice people would make poor decisions because of the cost.

daveyn
04-04-2020, 11:09 AM
I just read an article in the Calgary Herald that said because of Provincial cuts to doctors compensation the Doctors at the Moose and Squirrel Clinic in Sundre have given the Province 90 days notice they will be withdrawing acute and emergency services in the local Hospital. There are 8 Doctors in that Clinic.

They will continue to serve patients in their Clinic but not at the Hospital.

Dr. Michelle Warren said they suspect similar action will occur throughout the Province.

So here's the back story on that...The Alberta Govt in its wisdom has determined that ER docs in the hospital do not have the overhead costs that a Doc in a clinic would have. Clinic Docs have to pay rent and staff etc etc that the Hospital Doc doesn't have to do (untrue as hospital Docs do pay rent for office's, office supplies and pay out of pocket for their clerical/admin staff) So the Gov't has decided an ER visit is worth 30% less to a Doc than a clinic visit. In summary, you get 30% more compensation to see somebody in your clinic than you do to see the exact same patient in the hospital ER. The unintended consequence is now the Docs are spending less time in the ER and more time in their clinics, which is turn causes back ups and wait times in the ER as staffing numbers drop.
for every Action there is an equal and opposite re-action, its just physics.

ESOXangler
04-04-2020, 04:39 PM
So here's the back story on that...The Alberta Govt in its wisdom has determined that ER docs in the hospital do not have the overhead costs that a Doc in a clinic would have. Clinic Docs have to pay rent and staff etc etc that the Hospital Doc doesn't have to do (untrue as hospital Docs do pay rent for office's, office supplies and pay out of pocket for their clerical/admin staff) So the Gov't has decided an ER visit is worth 30% less to a Doc than a clinic visit. In summary, you get 30% more compensation to see somebody in your clinic than you do to see the exact same patient in the hospital ER. The unintended consequence is now the Docs are spending less time in the ER and more time in their clinics, which is turn causes back ups and wait times in the ER as staffing numbers drop.
for every Action there is an equal and opposite re-action, its just physics.

Dont sweat it. I'm sure Vital Partners has a plan. Wait who knows that's in a blind trust.... Ticking off Dr's in an aging population is a terrible idea. Hopefully we can see an Alberta Party start to grow so we can chase these criminals out of office!