PDA

View Full Version : Down rigging lakersa

Fishingguy001
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Going to grist this weekend. Put 2 down riggers on my boat but never used them before. What is a good technique for lakers?? Any help would be great.. Thanks in advance.

K44
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Pull spoons or a flasher and anchove rig

jjstar
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
If you have a good depth finder you can turn up the power and sometimes see the layer of the thermocline (water temp change) This is where you want you gear at or just below. When having the clip on the line make sure the hook is at least 20 feet behind the clip some people go up to 50 feet. If you cannot tell where the temp change is start at 45-55 feet initially then move it down 5 feet at a time. If you do see fish on the depth finder you want the hook above them, not at their depth.

Good luck

Deer Hunter
07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
10" Flasher, or willow leaf, and a 4-5" rapala has worked well for me. Run a wire leader on the flasher too if there are jackfish in that lake.

nicemustang
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I've never done this either, but curious....how does one know how deep you are running it? What speed of troll?

Deer Hunter
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
You know how deep your ball is running by the down rigger or by seeing it in your fish finder. Then, based on what kind of gear your pulling either sinking, suspending or floating and by how much line you have beyond the clips, you can figure approx where your lure is at. You can run multiple clips/lines off one downrigger to cover more depth until you find where the fish are.

Usually troll "slower" for lake trout in deeper water is my experience.

nicemustang
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry again to "highjack", but two more questions. I get the downrigger and how that works, I also realize thats the best way. But what if I didn't want to do that and just use a weight, can it it be done? If so, how?

And wouldn't the lakers be on the bottom or very close to it during summer?

Deer Hunter
07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I have used these lures calls "MacDeep" They are used for salmon fishing mostly but are heavy enough to get down to 40 or 50 feet trolling with enough line out. I used them sucessfully when the bottom is gravel but they are tough to use with a rocky bottom as they would snag. They are great late season lake trout lures.

You can use a big Peetz weight too, but other than adding weight and letting out line until you feel them hitting bottom, you really have no idea as to the actual depth they are running. At least I don't.

nicemustang
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Ah ha. Thanks, and that's what I always wondered....when I guy is trolling, if it isn't bouncing off the bottom how would a guy know what deep it was. I'm think of trying out Spray lakes but don't have or really want to purchase down riggers as I'm a walleye fisherman primarily, but always have fun out on spray in winter.

Fishingguy001
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks alot guys. I will use your advice and hopefully you will see the pics next week

ScubaSteve
07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Apex hooks work great, caught 9lb laker in cold lake 2 weeks ago, watermelon color was the big winner.