PDA

View Full Version : Trappers license question

pa_of_6
04-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Can you home study and challenge the trappers license??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HunterDave
04-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Not in Alberta but you can in SK if that's where you're trapping.

pa_of_6
04-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Is Sask license good in alberta

HunterDave
04-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Is Sask license good in alberta?

No.

herc
04-08-2020, 08:18 PM
No you can't challenge and honestly take the course. I challenged back when it was available to be a junior. Then had to take the course to get my line transferred to me now as the senior. Worth every penny.

wolfcrazy
04-08-2020, 10:47 PM

No but there will be standard trapping courses available again once things start to return to normal. Have a look at https://www.albertatrappers.com/trapping-courses for updates.

wolfcrazy
04-08-2020, 10:50 PM
No you can't challenge and honestly take the course. I challenged back when it was available to be a junior. Then had to take the course to get my line transferred to me now as the senior. Worth every penny.

That’s great to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I ask what was your highlight?

coyote_man
04-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Just curious as to whether or not our Alberta Trapping Course allows us to be eligible to trap in another province if we move there.

st99
04-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Just curious as to whether or not our Alberta Trapping Course allows us to be eligible to trap in another province if we move there.

yes

pa_of_6
04-09-2020, 08:09 AM
So... trapping in Saskatchewan is different than in Alberta???
Is that why it’s not good here??
Just wondering

st99
04-09-2020, 08:10 AM

If you can't spend 400$ for the course, don't even think about becoming a trapper. It's one heck of an expensive hobby.

58thecat
04-09-2020, 08:40 AM
Just wondering

Google is your friend......

TrapperMike
04-09-2020, 08:45 AM
If you had a license in another province and you move to Alberta they will give you a license in Alberta without doing the test. Same as if you have an Alberta license and move to another province.

South west trappin RG
04-09-2020, 10:08 AM

I challenged the course in 1998. Trapped for ten years. Then I seen a trapping course in the news paper. I wish I would have taken the course a long time before I would have caught more an put fur up a whole bunch better. Very good course. My family usually hosts the course this weekend in southern Alberta an I learn new things every time.

wolfcrazy
04-09-2020, 10:18 AM
If you had a license in another province and you move to Alberta they will give you a license in Alberta without doing the test. Same as if you have an Alberta license and move to another province.

I don’t think this is the case anymore but it would be up to the F&W office.

wolfcrazy
04-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Just wondering

Yes, trapping regulations are different and provincial requirements are also different.

Wouldn’t you like to learn hands on verses a couple of years trying to figure things out on your own?

TrapperMike
04-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Meet a new to the area trapper this season. Moved here from Ontario. All he had to do was show his license from there and they gave him Alberta license.

HunterDave
04-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Meet a new to the area trapper this season. Moved here from Ontario. All he had to do was show his license from there and they gave him Alberta license.

Yes, if you're a licensed AND experienced trapper from a different province you can get your AB trapping license without doing the course. It's right in the regs. I think what the OP was getting at was challenging the course in SK, getting his SK trapping license and then getting his AB trapping license by doing it that way. That wouldn't work because he's missing the experienced part of the requirement.

It could also be that Ontario's trapping course is recognized in AB as it is of a higher standard than the one in AB.

TrapperMike
04-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Called F&W and asked about that scenario and was told that they accept trapping certification from any other province or territories weather they had to take the course or weather they could challenge it in that region. All the have to do is show that the are certified or have held a license at one time or another and that they are now living in Alberta and they will be issued an Alberta trapping permit.

FishOutOfWater
04-11-2020, 03:32 AM
Called F&W and asked about that scenario and was told that they accept trapping certification from any other province or territories weather they had to take the course or weather they could challenge it in that region. All the have to do is show that the are certified or have held a license at one time or another and that they are now living in Alberta and they will be issued an Alberta trapping permit.

Did he mention if there was a burden of proof to show that you actually lived in the same Province as the trapping license/permit ?

:confused:

TrapperMike
04-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Just need a previous license. I know that to have a B.C. license you don’t have to live there.

Big Grey Wolf
04-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Guys few years back just having previous trapper license in another province good to go. Now F&W want to see lots of detail, like drivers licenses, fur sales receipts NAFA or FHA. Mainly applies to RFMA trapline approval.

TrapperMike
04-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Ya the guys I was talking about were just getting a resident license.

ruger300
04-11-2020, 07:43 PM
What about us youngsters that took the course way back when it was a cool way to make money in the winter but quit getting our resident license when the big world took over. Would there be any record anywhere that I took the course way back when? I really don’t want to sell 4 coyotes that I hunted and handled to take the dumb course again.

TrapperMike
04-11-2020, 09:31 PM
F&W has a large library of old trapping licenses on record, but there has been times when when they could not find old licenses in their records. If your planning to ever trap again get it checked out and get renewed now so that you will be in the data base.

ruger300
04-12-2020, 08:56 AM
If their offices ever open up again I will try that. Thanks