PDA

View Full Version : One line? Two lines? Three lines???

ShortsideK
04-11-2020, 08:35 PM
Recently I have been fly fishing some open water near the aerators on a pothole lake (don't worry, I check the ice thickness every time I go out, minimum 6" of good ice where I stand).

I started thinking about how the regulations cover the possibility that I could fly fish to the open water and ice fish at the same time.

Entirely doable, but I'm not sure how it would be considered by a CO.

Yes, I'm allowed one line in open water and 2 lines ice fishing, but what if I was doing both at the same time? Does that allow me to technically have 3 lines fishing? Seems wrong to me.

Tell me what you think.

LJalberta
04-11-2020, 08:58 PM
I believe they intend it to be straight forward and not open to any interpretation by enforcement officers. If you're angling over open water, you're limited to a single line. This would include any additional lines over either open or ice-covered water.

For instance, if you have one line over open water, then if you wished to fish ice-covered water, that would require a second line and be illegal. The legislation doesn't create two separate categories of line though.

It is unlawful to:
Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

ShortsideK
04-11-2020, 09:10 PM
I believe they intend it to be straight forward and not open to any interpretation by enforcement officers. If you're angling over open water, you're limited to a single line. This would include any additional lines over either open or ice-covered water.

For instance, if you have one line over open water, then if you wished to fish ice-covered water, that would require a second line and be illegal. The legislation doesn't create two separate categories of line though.

It is unlawful to:
Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

That"s exactly how I interpreted it. Therefore, if you are "open water" fishing, you cannot also ice fish. And if you are ice fishing (even with only one line) you cannot also fish open water.

However, the open water around the aerators are really just a "bigger than normal" hole in the ice (much bigger). When does a hole in the ice become "open water"?

Dewey Cox
04-11-2020, 09:15 PM
You are fishing ice covered waters.

ShortsideK
04-11-2020, 09:24 PM
You are fishing ice covered waters.

I see your point, but...

LJalberta
04-11-2020, 10:11 PM
That"s exactly how I interpreted it. Therefore, if you are "open water" fishing, you cannot also ice fish. And if you are ice fishing (even with only one line) you cannot also fish open water.

However, the open water around the aerators are really just a "bigger than normal" hole in the ice (much bigger). When does a hole in the ice become "open water"?

I see what you're saying. I would imagine that an aerator hole on an ice-covered lake would count as ice-covered waters. But, at what point does ice-covered water become open water could be quite open to circumstantial interpretation. Obviously you couldn't have 3 lines, but there could be a grey area where 2 lines could be used when someone is fishing over water that could be argued to be open or ice-covered.

endeavor
04-11-2020, 11:53 PM
when drill a hole on lake , is it open water? so two line

CranePete
04-12-2020, 12:52 AM
I’m going to guess that you’re supposed to be attending to a line that is fishing. Can’t attend to an open water line and an ice line simultaneously, it’s “either, or”.

pikergolf
04-12-2020, 06:42 AM
I think we are all getting a little stir crazy. :scared0018:

SNAPFisher
04-12-2020, 07:12 AM
I started thinking about how the regulations cover the possibility that I could fly fish to the open water and ice fish at the same time.

Then we just make ice fishing to allow 3 lines and you are good to go :)

Smoky buck
04-12-2020, 08:05 AM
My personal interpretation I would only be using one line if I was casting into open water around a aerator. If I was fishing through drilled holes in the ice 2 lines. I would never be attempting 3 lines because that is definitely a no go

Is there a possibility to argue the regs to justify running two lines casting into the open water created by the aerator sure but depending on how the CO or judge decides to view it you might be in for some trouble. My personal ethics say why bother trying to push the limits of the regs or look for loopholes. Go out enjoy the day respect the resource so it’s there to use in the future

Those who seek loopholes are often the reason we get hit with stricter regulations

Pikebreath
04-12-2020, 08:49 AM
I think we are all getting a little stir crazy. :scared0018:

Definitely a case of covid 19 cabin fever going on here!!!:sleep-043:

stob
04-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Claim MPD and everything is solved

ShortsideK
04-12-2020, 12:41 PM
My personal interpretation I would only be using one line if I was casting into open water around a aerator. If I was fishing through drilled holes in the ice 2 lines. I would never be attempting 3 lines because that is definitely a no go

Is there a possibility to argue the regs to justify running two lines casting into the open water created by the aerator sure but depending on how the CO or judge decides to view it you might be in for some trouble. My personal ethics say why bother trying to push the limits of the regs or look for loopholes. Go out enjoy the day respect the resource so it’s there to use in the future

Those who seek loopholes are often the reason we get hit with stricter regulations

When I'm fly fishing the open water created by the aerators I only fish the one line and have no interest in pushing the limits.

I'm asking because I frequently see other anglers bait casting into the open water AND ice fishing with 2 lines simultaneously.

I want to address the issue with them, but am unsure as to what scenario is legal.

Smoky buck
04-12-2020, 12:50 PM
When I'm fly fishing the open water created by the aerators I only fish the one line and have no interest in pushing the limits.

I'm asking because I frequently see other anglers bait casting into the open water AND ice fishing with 2 lines simultaneously.

I want to address the issue with them, but am unsure as to what scenario is legal.

The 3rd line is definitely a no no

Talk to a CO because it’s one of those situations you will get multiple opinions on the 2 lines. With there being no clear regs on it you will get multiple interpretations

My opinion it’s no different then fishing a partially frozen river but that is only my opinion

trainerdave
04-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Of course the overtone these days is... the province could ban fishing into open waters created by aeration at the following lakes "x y z" illegal. If you break through or fall in then you become a statistic or a drain on the system...If OHV's and parks are shut down; this would follow that directive...please keep your holes away from larger holes (a/b/c)...
a) that we can physically fall into...
b)that we inadvertently expose in the regulations,creating new regulations...
c) where somebody has to become a big"hole"and say nobody, ever...
Anyone remember...A couple of years ago aerators were shut down - or certainly were threatened because of this very matter and insurance/liability,etc...
No aerator=no fish...Just a friendly discussion...
Likely you were just kicking a can...once again dating myself...
Oh look it's sunny out...
...Thanks...
Have a good day. D

WinefredCommander
04-16-2020, 11:39 AM
Recently I have been fly fishing some open water near the aerators on a pothole lake (don't worry, I check the ice thickness every time I go out, minimum 6" of good ice where I stand).

Yes, I'm allowed one line in open water and 2 lines ice fishing, but what if I was doing both at the same time? Does that allow me to technically have 3 lines fishing? Seems wrong to me.

Tell me what you think.

Regardless you're supposed to stay the away from aerator holes and can be charged for that. People like this are the reason liability issues occurred and aeration stopped and trout fisheries winterkilled. You see triple lines, call F&W.

ShortsideK
04-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Regardless you're supposed to stay the away from aerator holes and can be charged for that. People like this are the reason liability issues occurred and aeration stopped and trout fisheries winterkilled. You see triple lines, call F&W.

I can find nowhere in the regs that a person can be charged for being near the aerators.

And what exactly is "staying away from the aerator holes"?

Anyways, thank you for your baseless opinion.

338Bluff
04-17-2020, 10:08 PM
I can find nowhere in the regs that a person can be charged for being near the aerators.

And what exactly is "staying away from the aerator holes"?

Anyways, thank you for your baseless opinion.

Means don't fish in the open water created by the aerator. No regulation against it but local authorities could have bylaws. At any rate, its dangerous to be that close to the aerator hole no matter how safe a person feels it is. In my lifetime I personally know of two grown men who died doing the exact same thing you are doing. Further to that, we had aerators go down in the winter on a pond the local f&g looked after because a couple of donkeys keep casting into the open water and getting their lines caught in the impeller.

Isopod
04-17-2020, 10:25 PM
Maybe not strictly illegal to fish aerator holes, but the fishing regs advise against it:
"Use caution and stay away from aeration sites. Anglers are encouraged
not to fish near aerators for their safety and to prevent lines tangling
the units and damaging them."

As for the number of lines, if you are fishing an actual open water site, whether it be from an aerator or from shoreline ice receding in the spring, I don't think it would matter whether there is still ice elsewhere on the lake, if you are casting into open water then you are fishing open water and are allowed one line only. The regulations for ice fishing with two lines are intended for holes that are cut into the ice by people, not for bigger patches of open water that a person would not have cut themselves, such as an aerator hole or open water by the shore as lake ice disappears in spring.

That's just my opinion, and a guy could test it out and try to argue to the Co or to a judge that they were doing a mix of ice fishing and open water fishing, but I sure wouldn't want to be the one trying to make that argument to a judge.

ShortsideK
04-18-2020, 05:21 AM
Means don't fish in the open water created by the aerator. No regulation against it but local authorities could have bylaws. At any rate, its dangerous to be that close to the aerator hole no matter how safe a person feels it is. In my lifetime I personally know of two grown men who died doing the exact same thing you are doing. Further to that, we had aerators go down in the winter on a pond the local f&g looked after because a couple of donkeys keep casting into the open water and getting their lines caught in the impeller.

"... local authorities COULD have bylaws" Hahahaha! Of course they could, but it would be posted and thus I would comply.

"dangerous to be that close to the aerator hole". How many times have you been in an ice fishing shack where the hole cut in the ice is 2 ft. x 4 ft., or greater? And the people fishing are much closer to the "open water".

Regarding getting lines caught in aerator impellers, this is possible any time of the year.

liar
04-18-2020, 07:13 AM
morally i think you would do one or the other . however , they are two separate activities . for example it is not illegal to fish while hunting , so you could probably make the case that you have followed the ice fishing rules and the open water rules and therefore can do both . the judge may not see it that way .
interesting question .

338Bluff
04-18-2020, 08:30 AM
"... local authorities COULD have bylaws" Hahahaha! Of course they could, but it would be posted and thus I would comply.

"dangerous to be that close to the aerator hole". How many times have you been in an ice fishing shack where the hole cut in the ice is 2 ft. x 4 ft., or greater? And the people fishing are much closer to the "open water".

Regarding getting lines caught in aerator impellers, this is possible any time of the year.

Same as a hole in an ice shack??? I'm worried for you.

Yes. Lines get caught in aerators year round. That's why a couple of local spots have banned all watercraft including belly boats.

It's a bit of work and expense to keep the aerators going. I remember having to push a rowboat across ice to go untangle some fishing line and a pickerel rig. Unfortunately,
the motor was burned out and I had to pull it and go find a replacement. It's annoying because there are usually signs or as mentioned, the request in the regulations to stay away.

Maybe it should be an actual regulation so the CO could write a ticket? With all of the opportunities to fish in the province I dont understand why people feel they have to do this.

35 whelen
04-18-2020, 09:12 AM
Same as a hole in an ice shack??? I'm worried for you.

Yes. Lines get caught in aerators year round. That's why a couple of local spots have banned all watercraft including belly boats.

It's a bit of work and expense to keep the aerators going. I remember having to push a rowboat across ice to go untangle some fishing line and a pickerel rig. Unfortunately,

the motor was burned out and I had to pull it and go find a replacement. It's annoying because there are usually signs or as mentioned, the request in the regulations to stay away.

Maybe it should be an actual regulation so the CO could write a ticket? With all of the opportunities to fish in the province I dont understand why people feel they have to do this.It's just some fool thinking he's getting an advantage over someone else

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ShortsideK
04-18-2020, 02:28 PM
It's just some fool thinking he's getting an advantage over someone else

I'll be interested to see if any action is taken for your remark.
I know that I have been suspended for much less.

Anyways, to respond to your post, I was born with an advantage, not being you and all.

35 whelen
04-18-2020, 02:41 PM
I would consider anyone a fool that's fishing beside and open aerator

ShortsideK
04-18-2020, 02:53 PM
I respect your right to express your unfounded opinion.