PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with johnson fast strike outboards?

V45 sabre
04-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Hi I am looking at a boat with a 1998 Johnson 175hp fast strike motor on it. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this boat motor and can give me there thoughts.

Tannerdog
04-12-2020, 03:52 PM
I had a 1998 115 Fast Strike. It was an awesome motor, bought it used and it never gave me any problems at all over 5 years of regular use. Converted it to a jet leg for the last 3 years and never a hickup. The FITCH fuel injection system is the reason BRP bought Johnson/Evinrude. It was the precursor to BRP's E-tec system used now.

old dog
04-13-2020, 08:17 AM
Had a1998 150hp. Great engine. Lots of power. Never an issue

tool
04-13-2020, 08:29 AM
1996 150 Fast Strike, it’s a beast. They are incredibly torquey, great holeshot. Maybe a little hard on fuel but all big 2 strokes are.

I don’t know if they ever used the FICHT fuel system on the later Fast Strike motors or not? But that is something you definitely want to stay away from, those were known to have a LOT of problems. Simple Google search will tell you a lot about those.

There were recalls on some of the early Fast Strike motors as they were producing well over there rated horsepower. The rumour was it was a ploy to compete with and have an advantage over Mercury Racing.