PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for rod/reel for light lures

bpk1982
04-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Hello gents. I'm looking for recommendations on rod, reel and line combinations for tossing light lures. With my current rods and reels (pike/walleye setups) I have nothing that I can cast a good distance when using light spinners, spoons and rapelas. They are medium action 6'6" rods. Mostly shore fishing the bow. Thanks in advance for any insight.

LJalberta
04-12-2020, 09:01 PM
I have a Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner ultralight rod. I've matched it with a Pflueger President. I absolutely love it for tossing tiny spoons and spinners. Plus it makes even a small fish exciting to catch. That being said, I'd probably go with a light rod instead of the ultralight if I was using it primarily to fish the bow.

SamSteele
04-12-2020, 09:05 PM
What is your budget? The G Loomis E6X 901-2S (7’6” Light, Fast action, and 2 piece) and a 1000 size Stradic Ci4+ sounds like the perfect setup but it’s out of the budget for some.

bpk1982
04-12-2020, 09:55 PM
I have a Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner ultralight rod. I've matched it with a Pflueger President. I absolutely love it for tossing tiny spoons and spinners. Plus it makes even a small fish exciting to catch. That being said, I'd probably go with a light rod instead of the ultralight if I was using it primarily to fish the bow.

So a light action rod. How about line? Mono? Braid?

bpk1982
04-12-2020, 09:56 PM
What is your budget? The G Loomis E6X 901-2S (7’6” Light, Fast action, and 2 piece) and a 1000 size Stradic Ci4+ sounds like the perfect setup but it’s out of the budget for some.

Was hoping to do rod and reel for 150 to 200.

pinelakeperch
04-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Nice setup, but $500 is higher than most budgets.

SamSteele
04-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Was hoping to do rod and reel for 150 to 200.

With that budget I’d look for a Shimano Nasci in the 1000 size and a Shimano Clarus or the new SLX in as long as you can find, no heavier than a ML and preferable to be in a Light action.

SamSteele
04-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Nice setup, but $500 is higher than most budgets.

I bought one of my Stradic Ci4+ in 2500 size for $100 at Can Tire in Windermere a few years ago. Bought a G Loomis GL2 rod on sale at Cabelas on sale for $140 as well. You don’t need to drop $500 if you keep an eye on sales and know what you want.

I also picked up two Pfleuger Supreme XT reels for $89 each when Cabelas was blowing them out. They are $210 now.

Point is, lots of deals out there on good equipment so don’t assume it’s out of budget just because of MSRP.

Walleyedude
04-13-2020, 07:04 AM

I think this rod is a great suggestion. Pricey though.

I'd look for a rod at least 7', ML or L, with an Xtra fast action, but a fast action will do.

Shimano Convergence, Clarus, or Compre. From good to best in that order.

For a reel, if you're after casting performance, I'd actually move up to the 2500 size. The slight weight penalty will be worth it for the improved casting distance you'll get from the larger spool.

Shimano Sahara, Sedona, and NASCI, in that order, good to best.

I'd look to put a combo together from those options, it can certainly be done within your budget, and you'll have a really nice combo. My suggestion though - find the one in your budget range, and then move up one model on the rod for sure, and maybe one model on the reel. You'll never regret spending that extra $40-60 over the lifetime of using that combo.

bpk1982
04-13-2020, 09:37 AM
I think this rod is a great suggestion. Pricey though.

I'd look for a rod at least 7', ML or L, with an Xtra fast action, but a fast action will do.

Shimano Convergence, Clarus, or Compre. From good to best in that order.

For a reel, if you're after casting performance, I'd actually move up to the 2500 size. The slight weight penalty will be worth it for the improved casting distance you'll get from the larger spool.

Shimano Sahara, Sedona, and NASCI, in that order, good to best.

I'd look to put a combo together from those options, it can certainly be done within your budget, and you'll have a really nice combo. My suggestion though - find the one in your budget range, and then move up one model on the rod for sure, and maybe one model on the reel. You'll never regret spending that extra $40-60 over the lifetime of using that combo.

Thanks for your input. What would be the best style and weight of line to match with a light fast action?

Walleyedude
04-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Braid - I'd go with 8lb Power Pro Super Slick. Add a 2-4ft section of 6lb fluorocarbon leader.

Mono - my preference is Suffix Elite, 6lb.

SamSteele
04-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Braid - I'd go with 8lb Power Pro Super Slick. Add a 2-4ft section of 6lb fluorocarbon leader.

Mono - my preference is Suffix Elite, 6lb.

Agreed!

MountainTi
04-13-2020, 10:45 AM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/106462/fenwick-hmg-spinning-rod

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94589/pflueger-president-xt-spinning-reel

When you have the time to wait, watch for sales

bertha
04-13-2020, 12:10 PM
+1https://babang.xyz/assets/11/o.png

bpk1982
04-13-2020, 12:39 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/106462/fenwick-hmg-spinning-rod

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94589/pflueger-president-xt-spinning-reel

When you have the time to wait, watch for sales

Nice! Both on sale! I'll have to check these out.

bpk1982
04-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Ok guys I went with a combination of the advice from this thread. For rod I bought the Fenwick HMG light/fast 6'6" on sale for $90. For reel the Pflueger President XT on sale for $80. I also lined it with 8lb braid and a 6lb floro leader. I took a trip down to the river to try it tonight for an hour. No fish but man I didn't think it was possible to chuck those small mepps spinners so far! What a difference the right combination of components make. Thanks all for the advice. Very happy with this setup.

LJalberta
04-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a great setup at an even greater price point.

Justfishin73
04-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Love that president xt reel at that price ---have 4 of em

Damn, sure want to go fishing....

OL_JR
04-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Nice set up bpk1982, nothing wrong with the quality whatsoever and a price that doesn't hurt to bad either.

StringTheory
04-15-2020, 02:12 PM
That sounds like a great setup BPK!

Last year I went with the 13 Fishing Defy Rod in a 7ft light, paired with a 1000 Shimano Sedona and 4lb mono. Its crazy how far you can throw those light spinners and spoons. I'll never fish for trout with a medium action rod again!