PDA

View Full Version : Should I cancel my salmon trip?

CDNOutdoorsman
04-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Hey gang, I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.
I have a trip planned and booked for early June. Booked with charter, deposit paid, hotel rooms booked. Everything I'm reading is there is little chance that we will be able to go at this time of year. Airlines, hotels, fishing charter etc all would have to be up and running. Would you all cancel now? Am I entitled to my deposit back due to the situation?

Thank you.
CDN

Jim Blake
04-14-2020, 01:13 PM
I have a trip planned and booked for early June. Booked with charter, deposit paid, hotel rooms booked. Everything I'm reading is there is little chance that we will be able to go at this time of year. Airlines, hotels, fishing charter etc all would have to be up and running. Would you all cancel now? Am I entitled to my deposit back due to the situation?

Thank you.
CDN

We are booked in August and I'm going to wait it out. I told the Charter operator if it's a no go this year keep the deposit as long as it's good for next year and we'll keep the same dates. He agreed. I didn't buy an airline ticket yet. Accommodation booked and they said they will honor it for next year if it's a no go.

lone wolf
04-14-2020, 01:19 PM
From experience I can say that everyone is being quite lenient with re-booking and refunding deposits. My son and i were scheduled to fly to Abbotsford tomorrow for two days of sturgeon fishing out of Mission. Hotels should be a no brainer as most offer no penalty cancellation with 24 to 48 hours notice. Airlines, Air Miles and booking sites (Expedia) will issue future credits although you may be able to get a refunds if you had good travel insurance. Expedia gave us a flight credit and Air Miles did the same (good for 13 months). The only (minor) issue I ran into was that he outfitter would only re-book for the current season instead of allowing the same dates next year. Might/should be different for salmon as the season is relatively short. Instead of having to eat the full 25% deposit the charter company is waiving this and providing a full refund minus an administration fee.

LJalberta
04-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Wife and I had a June/July trip booked to south america. We've been able to work with most places we booked getting refunds. A couple places we left a small deposit to hold our spots if we're able to come, but agreed if we're unable to make it this year, that'll be credited to us in the future. Most places have been good about recognizing the nature of the situation and not penalizing us.

Still need to get ahold of Expedia though, but they've been pretty slammed.

old dog
04-14-2020, 02:56 PM
I think about it this way. Even if you can go, are you going to have a good time if you are always thinking about all what is happening and how u stay safe and keep others safe. Holidays r about relaxing

SNAPFisher
04-14-2020, 03:58 PM

Thank you.
CDN

In terms of deposit, should this not be information you already have from the charter company?

I'm going in mid-July, or hope to. I just looked up their policy from the booking email:

We will be taking a $1500 deposit to secure your fishing package for this summer. This deposit is fully refundable up to 60 days prior to your arrival.

I plan to check-in before the 60 days and see where things are at for us and the charter. Depending on your terms, you might want to do the same as June is not far now.

I hope it works out for you! And yes, always a tough call to make but it is really is circumstances beyond your control.

7mmremmag
04-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Im in the same situation.
Booked at Moutcha Bay for four days in July.
Not sure what our group will do yet?

Ronji
04-17-2020, 12:38 PM
I'm booked for Rivers Inlet for early August. I'm going to keep the booking until the last minute before we cancel.

Fingers are crossed.

Serengeti Charters
04-17-2020, 03:19 PM
For July and August should be good guys! June as well as from Canada. Coming in from the US may be hampered till mid June though, but time will tell on that, depends how USA does in next month and a half on corona front.

There are a few big lodges that have not yet announced it but are closing for the season due to fact they start mid May and may miss 25% of their season (large lodges need 75-80% capacity to break even) plus many corporate groups cancelled due to optics of spending that money while they get government assitance and employees aren't working, g etc. I was told NMA is closing two of their lodges but keeping one open 7mm. (Sure they will transfer all reservations to the one lodge, probably Moutcha to be honest).

pinelakeperch
04-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Really hoping my NW Ontario trip isn't cancelled!

35 whelen
04-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Really hoping my NW Ontario trip isn't cancelled!My Northeast Manitoba trip hopefully we'll still happen in mid June ,doesn't cost me nothing to go to my buddies Lodge but he's still got to get across the border in a couple weeks and open up the camp.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

pinelakeperch
04-17-2020, 03:54 PM
My Northeast Manitoba trip hopefully we'll still happen in mid June ,doesn't cost me nothing to go to my buddies Lodge but he's still got to get across the border in a couple weeks and open up the camp.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking I should be ok. A little worried about whether or not they'll open up their camps if they lose a significant portion of their American clientele. I'd have to imagine Americans make for 90+% of their guests.

August is four months away. Hopefully it's enough time.

Good luck to you!

SNAPFisher
04-18-2020, 06:20 AM
For July and August should be good guys! June as well as from Canada. Coming in from the US may be hampered till mid June though, but time will tell on that, depends how USA does in next month and a half on corona front.

There are a few big lodges that have not yet announced it but are closing for the season due to fact they start mid May and may miss 25% of their season (large lodges need 75-80% capacity to break even) plus many corporate groups cancelled due to optics of spending that money while they get government assitance and employees aren't working, g etc. I was told NMA is closing two of their lodges but keeping one open 7mm. (Sure they will transfer all reservations to the one lodge, probably Moutcha to be honest).

I'm hoping for just a temporary closure for those that have to. Maybe out of this there will be more people that want to do fishing charters. Maybe next year will be a banner year. It certainly underscores to me how lucky we are to be able to do it.

Best of success to you this year and good fishing.

surhuntsalot
04-18-2020, 08:22 AM
I'm thinking I should be ok. A little worried about whether or not they'll open up their camps if they lose a significant portion of their American clientele. I'd have to imagine Americans make for 90+% of their guests.

A lot of the clientele depends on where you market your business. Over the past few years about 80% of my guests were from British Columbia, 20% from Alberta... Made a big change for this year and the ratio is about 65% Alberta 35% British Columbia. Possibly Lodges have a higher percentage of Americans, but personally I’ve probably only taken half a dozen charters from outside Canada in the past five years...

Things are still looking good for this year. The Salmon runs sound good, and I like most other charters are anticipating a start up around the beginning of June. Right now things are still a bit on edge as far as people wanting essential travel only from outside the community, and Charters are not operating at the moment, but I’m confident there will be some positive changes a month from now...

pinelakeperch
04-18-2020, 09:55 AM
A lot of the clientele depends on where you market your business. Over the past few years about 80% of my guests were from British Columbia, 20% from Alberta... Made a big change for this year and the ratio is about 65% Alberta 35% British Columbia. Possibly Lodges have a higher percentage of Americans, but personally I’ve probably only taken half a dozen charters from outside Canada in the past five years...

Things are still looking good for this year. The Salmon runs sound good, and I like most other charters are anticipating a start up around the beginning of June. Right now things are still a bit on edge as far as people wanting essential travel only from outside the community, and Charters are not operating at the moment, but I’m confident there will be some positive changes a month from now...

Those stats don’t surprise me at all for salmon fishing! I’m going to NW Ontario for walleye and smallies. Different clientele for sure.

CDNOutdoorsman
05-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Ive decided I am going, life is too short. I plan to drive instead of fly. I will not be stopping for anything except for fuel. I will have food packed and can wiz in the ditch. Will be doing our own cooking etc once there. Only guys we will see or talk to will be the fish processors.
All precautions will be made and I can't wait. Best of luck to all that are heading out this summer.

Jim Blake
05-02-2020, 06:51 AM
Talked to Langara and they are planning a June opening. So far.

Sundancefisher
05-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Talked to Langara and they are planning a June opening. So far.

Yup. I have 68 people going there for a Fall trip so my fingers are crossed big time.

Adolph
05-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Had a trip booked to Haida Gwaii for the end of June. The good folks on the islands (and most of the north coast) made it clear they did not want visitors until the pandemic was under control. Our guide posted that he would probably not be accepting charters until the end of August. Re booked for next year but not holding my breath. Hotel accommodations all refunded deposits but WestJet (“We’re all in this together...”) would only give a credit. Now stuck with $2000 in WJ credit and nowhere to fly to.

SNAPFisher
05-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Yup. I have 68 people going there for a Fall trip so my fingers are crossed big time.

68!! Now that is a group.

SNAPFisher
05-02-2020, 03:33 PM
Ive decided I am going, life is too short. I plan to drive instead of fly. I will not be stopping for anything except for fuel. I will have food packed and can wiz in the ditch. Will be doing our own cooking etc once there. Only guys we will see or talk to will be the fish processors.
All precautions will be made and I can't wait. Best of luck to all that are heading out this summer.

Hey man. Best of luck! May you see many tyees :)
Pics if you can manage. That would certainly spruce this place up.

CDNOutdoorsman
05-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Thanks Snap, fingers crossed. I have fished the west coast 6 times over about 18 years and still haven't caught a Tyee so hoping this is the year.

thumper
05-02-2020, 09:10 PM
We cancelled and got our deposit back. When the all clear is given, we'll call and see if they can fit us in anywhere.

SNAPFisher
05-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Thanks Snap, fingers crossed. I have fished the west coast 6 times over about 18 years and still haven't caught a Tyee so hoping this is the year.

Same here. 3 times held off at 29.5 lbs. What are the chances!

Update, called Bear Cove Cottages as we are 60 days out. No surprise, they are waiving the 60 day for deposit. I kind of figured they would. Wade is a great, great person. Salt of the earth really. I would support them anytime.

So, an easy decision for me that we are going in July. We were planning on driving anyways. Whereas the future may be uncertain, we are certainly planning on going :)
Bringing the fly rod as well for black bass and whatever else I can get to bite on it.