PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Fishing the North Saskatchewan River this weekend

Mr Wiggles
07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
This weekend, the girlfriend and I are going up to see her folks, they live in Waskatenau, and have property that borders the north bank of the NSR at its most Northern point. There's a large bridge on 831 that crosses the river, i've often thought the large pools behind it might be a good spot for fish.

Anyway, i'm wondering if anyone has tips, lure recommendations, and better yet, if anyone's fished it recently. I will be using light spinning gear with lures, and possibly bait (i have to double check regs, but the inlaws have 60 acres, i'm sure i can scare up some worms and leeches)

thanks in advance!

MrDave
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
When I fished it under the bridge was excellent. We caught walleye, whites, and a medium sturgeon. At that time we were using leeches and minnows, on a walleye rig. Found that when the water was high there was nothing.

chrispee
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
pickerl rig with some tastey minnows always works for me.

bigrfish
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I have fished the spot quite freqently but the water levels are alot lower than normal.It does usually produce some good fishing but all I have seen lately are goldeye and the odd walleye.
Small spoons work great and as the prevois poster said a pickerel rig tipped with minnows may bring something in as well
Have fun and good luck

Rumtan
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Make sure you have some heavier line, there are some good ones in there, I have a cabin close by and fish there also.