PDA

View Full Version : Hay River, worth the drive?

Bushleague
04-20-2020, 03:05 PM
I've been curious about fishing the Hay for awhile, just wondering if anyone can tell me whether the fishing is decent. I'm guessing it would have pike, walleye and grayling, but more information on which species are more prevalent would be welcome. My plan would be to drag a canoe in from hwy 35, and use it to fish the tributary mouths on the far side, does this sound like a feasible plan? Thanks.

FlyTheory
04-20-2020, 03:24 PM
I've been curious about fishing the Hay for awhile, just wondering if anyone can tell me whether the fishing is decent. I'm guessing it would have pike, walleye and grayling, but more information on which species are more prevalent would be welcome. My plan would be to drag a canoe in from hwy 35, and use it to fish the tributary mouths on the far side, does this sound like a feasible plan? Thanks.

I know there are also records of inconnu in the Hay River even within Alberta boundary (Nelson and Paetz book). If you go to the government and look on the FWMIS there are information on surveys and thatll give you an idea what’s there

OL_JR
04-20-2020, 04:29 PM
I've fished the Hay a few times but a long time ago. If the water conditions are right yes it can be really good. Never dunked a canoe into it though, I'd imagine you would do really well fishing the out of the way tributaries.

Bushleague
04-20-2020, 06:49 PM
I know there are also records of inconnu in the Hay River even within Alberta boundary (Nelson and Paetz book). If you go to the government and look on the FWMIS there are information on surveys and thatll give you an idea what’s there

Thanks, very interesting. The thing is that netting shows that the prevalent species on my home lake, Lesser Slave, is whitefish. Very few whitefish actually caught by anglers though... Come to trust the word of the locals a little more than the published data myself these days.

spoiledsaskhunter
04-20-2020, 08:16 PM
fished it while i lived in hay river, MANY years ago.......i was always disappointed because i thought it should have been better. we did catch inconnu and some wally right at hay river. didn't try what you are proposing though, so can't help you there.

KegRiver
04-20-2020, 10:26 PM
It depends on where you intend to fish. The river, within Alberta is much like any northern river.
It can be good fishing but there is just a few weeks a year where it is worth fishing. Keep in mind, you aren't likely to catch any monsters on the Alberta portion, the falls block fish from the big lake making it into Alberta.

Below the falls anything is possible. I have heard of thirty pound pike coming out of that part of the river. But it too is very seasonal.

Fishing around Hay River, town can be very productive, but recently some people from LaCrete have been stirring the locals up so expect some less then friendly locals.

You won't have that issue on the Alberta side but the fishing is so sporadic it's almost only worth it for locals who can be there on short notice.

All our rivers are way down from what they used to be like to fish. Ever since the pulp mill went in at Peace River the fish populations have been declining, to the point that catch limits are no longer enough to feed a family of four for one day.

BTW I and other family members have been fishing around Hay River town for decades. And most of us have fished every body of water north of Lesser Slave Lake

FlyTheory
04-21-2020, 08:12 AM
It depends on where you intend to fish. The river, within Alberta is much like any northern river.
It can be good fishing but there is just a few weeks a year where it is worth fishing. Keep in mind, you aren't likely to catch any monsters on the Alberta portion, the falls block fish from the big lake making it into Alberta.

Below the falls anything is possible. I have heard of thirty pound pike coming out of that part of the river. But it too is very seasonal.

Fishing around Hay River, town can be very productive, but recently some people from LaCrete have been stirring the locals up so expect some less then friendly locals.

You won't have that issue on the Alberta side but the fishing is so sporadic it's almost only worth it for locals who can be there on short notice.

All our rivers are way down from what they used to be like to fish. Ever since the pulp mill went in at Peace River the fish populations have been declining, to the point that catch limits are no longer enough to feed a family of four for one day.

BTW I and other family members have been fishing around Hay River town for decades. And most of us have fished every body of water north of Lesser Slave Lake

I passed by Alexandra falls twice in July of 2016, and the water was chocolate milk. Is there a certain time of year that’s best for fishing the Hay River?

WinefredCommander
04-21-2020, 09:38 AM
I'd assume the fall would be best. That river is blown out a long time!

HL_transplant
04-21-2020, 04:05 PM
Its definitely water level dependent like any river but the guys I work with with jet boats do very well in june, its defintely worth fishing from what I hear, everyone is generally pretty tight lipped in High level it seems like tho.

Bushleague
04-21-2020, 06:11 PM

Lol, is there anywhere the Lacretians go where they don't stir up bad feelings?

Supergrit
04-21-2020, 06:25 PM
The rivers that fish the McLeod and Athabasca the clearer the water the better. The McLeod river can’t use bait if it is a little muddy it’s pretty much a waist of time to try fishing

jungleboy
04-21-2020, 08:26 PM
Fished there 30 yrs ago, it was awesome. Take mosquito nets , they will carry you off.

flyrodfisher
04-21-2020, 09:44 PM
The rivers that fish the McLeod and Athabasca the clearer the water the better. The McLeod river can’t use bait if it is a little muddy it’s pretty much a waist of time to try fishing

?????
Can someone here decipher this?
Any idea what this has to do with the OP's question?

EZM
04-22-2020, 10:26 PM
?????
Can someone here decipher this?
Any idea what this has to do with the OP's question?

I think he meant ..... "the rivers I fish are " ...... and that he fishes the McLeod and Athabasca ......

That's what I guessed after a 4th or 5th look at it ...

Talking moose
04-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Better off heading up to ft providence on the McKenzie or swing over to the little buffalo.