PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Terrova 80 run times/reviews

OL_JR
04-20-2020, 08:03 PM
As the title states wondering if anyone that has this motor would be willing to share some run times a fellow could expect with a couple 100ah batteries. Any other input as far as the performance of the motor would be welcome as well.

I understand that the earlier generation pre 2017 or so are not near as good as the newer ones?

fish99
04-21-2020, 06:02 PM
have ulterra 80 I run it all day on 2 Costco batteries

deschambault
04-21-2020, 06:15 PM
I usually spend about 4 hours a day bottom bouncing and find I need to charge my 2 costco size 31's about every 4 days.

OL_JR
04-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Sounds like some pretty decent run times thanks.

EZM
04-22-2020, 10:01 PM
Sounds like some pretty decent run times thanks.

Depends on wind for me. My Lund sits up pretty high and is as heavy as any other aluminum that size I'm sure - so it's a pig.

If the water is calm - all day long trolling slowly - like 7-8 hours probably.

If it's choppy - forget it - can't control the boat.

if there is wind - A real nice thing I do sometimes is kick on the 10hp gas kicker and leave it pointed straight ahead - and use the terrova on the "follow the contour" setting (it basically steers) but doesn't need to pull. Saves batteries.

I have a Terrova 80 24v and a Hummingbird Onyx networked which definitely makes this nice and easy.

Also - installed a switch (and isolator) so I can charge batteries with either the main engine or kicker which is nice. You will need that isolator if you have an on board charger (which I do).

Remi3006
04-22-2020, 10:35 PM
Depends on wind for me. My Lund sits up pretty high and is as heavy as any other aluminum that size I'm sure - so it's a pig.

If the water is calm - all day long trolling slowly - like 7-8 hours probably.

If it's choppy - forget it - can't control the boat.

if there is wind - A real nice thing I do sometimes is kick on the 10hp gas kicker and leave it pointed straight ahead - and use the terrova on the "follow the contour" setting (it basically steers) but doesn't need to pull. Saves batteries.

I have a Terrova 80 24v and a Hummingbird Onyx networked which definitely makes this nice and easy.

Also - installed a switch (and isolator) so I can charge batteries with either the main engine or kicker which is nice. You will need that isolator if you have an on board charger (which I do).

I have a deep hull Crestliner and would say almost exactly this.

Pikebreath
04-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Last May, I transom mounted a new 80 Terrova on the back corner of my 18 foot tiller drive jon boat. That way I can stay at the rear rather than running up to the front to deploy the electric when I am fishing alone. I run a pair of Interstate Group 31s rated at 98Amp hours each.

I mostly use the electric motor for positioning while casting rather than trolling for the most part. This on / off type of fishing typically doesn't draw a lot of current compared to steady trolling,,, so FWIW,,, I did three different 5- 8 day fishing trips last season with an average electric run time of maybe 3-5 hours each day without having to recharge the batteries and still had juice to spare after each trip.

I certainly was impressed, it was much better than I thought it would be.

My old 55 Minn Kota Endura usually killed a group 31 battery in two days of this kind of fishing.

OL_JR
04-26-2020, 12:28 PM
The boat I'm thinking of putting one on is only a 16' so I'm hoping that an 80 should be lots of juice and potentially be able to move the motor to a bigger boat as the kids grow. Right now I run an electric tiller on the back that gets the most use, and an electric on the front with the conventional foot pedal.

Hoping to be able to abandon the transom mount tiller all together and use a newer bow mount exclusively.

How responsive are the wireless remotes? I like the control of a transom mount tiller steer but would love to be able to just use the one motor and be happy with it.

Pikebreath
04-26-2020, 02:04 PM
How responsive are the wireless remotes?

As far as off / on,,, steering,,,, spot anchor,,,speed control etc. my remote control is easy to use and the motor is very responsive.

Recording tracks and GPS locations etc. requires a bit more of a learning curve in sequencing than I like... but I am an old fart,,, I would rather be fishing and catching fish rather than trying to figure out all the techie glitz when out on the water ,,, younger guys with more tech savy shouldn't have issues.

EZM
04-26-2020, 02:20 PM
The boat I'm thinking of putting one on is only a 16' so I'm hoping that an 80 should be lots of juice and potentially be able to move the motor to a bigger boat as the kids grow. Right now I run an electric tiller on the back that gets the most use, and an electric on the front with the conventional foot pedal.

Hoping to be able to abandon the transom mount tiller all together and use a newer bow mount exclusively.

How responsive are the wireless remotes? I like the control of a transom mount tiller steer but would love to be able to just use the one motor and be happy with it.

The remote responds crisply ...... but if you are in a deep v, heavy boat, and a breeze, it's going to feel sloppy - but the motor/remote are not the issue there.

a 24v system with 80 thrust is plenty for a 16' boat. Make sure you get a long shaft. I have a 18' Lund Tyee so it sit very high in the water (like a parachute lol).

I have a 60" but wish it was a 72" ..... if we are the back of the boat and waves are pitching the motor pops up and out every once in a while when it's choppy. Usually by the time that happens, we are near white caps anyways and the electric isn't sufficient to control or pull the boat anyways.

I usually use it for spot lock (as an anchor) when jugging walleye or lakers and also use it back troll walleye or occasionally to "follow the path" on my hummingbird trails so I can troll right along breaks.

Works amazing for that - best money I have ever spent.

huntsfurfish
04-26-2020, 03:46 PM
I have a 16' Crestliner and a choice to use 80lb thrust Terrova or 80lb thrust Motorguide. 80 is good had a 42 which was lacking.

Jamie Black R/T
04-27-2020, 09:37 AM
....also use it back troll walleye

You backtroll with a bowmount? That sounds like a good way to grow grey hair :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cant say ive ever tried that.