PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Access

deeman
04-22-2020, 11:37 AM
Looking for some help, if anyone is aware of accessible open water around Calgary to be able to run a new Jet motor for a break in period. I am very aware of our situation but it would be no different then going to the Bow river by myself. With the closing of Alberta parks it leaves limited options to open boat ramps. The only private access really close to Calgary that I can think of is Ghost and Chestermere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fish99
04-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Looking for some help, if anyone is aware of accessible open water around Calgary to be able to run a new Jet motor for a break in period. I am very aware of our situation but it would be no different then going to the Bow river by myself. With the closing of Alberta parks it leaves limited options to open boat ramps. The only private access really close to Calgary that I can think of is Ghost and Chestermere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

no water in chestermere yet.

deeman
04-26-2020, 05:13 PM
I know its crazy, ice off is a little behind... it is what it is. Looks like I am going to have to wait patiently for opener. I read a thread before that the EID (eastern irrigation district) will not be as heavily affected and will have ramps open, so here is hoping for social distancing on the water. Thanks FISH99, greatly appreciate the response.

TROLLER
04-27-2020, 09:20 AM
Ghost is closed at the parking lot. Gate across and no access to boat launch

deeman
04-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Thanks TROLLER, I actually did get in touch with the guy at Ghost Lake Recreation and he said he was lead to believe that potentially day use areas and ramps could open on the long weekend.

kilgoretrout
04-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Do it on the river right now before there's much boat traffic..... put in at Police and idle downstream a few miles as there is no open take outs below there right now..... once you are a 7 or 8 miles down start back up with your rev adjustments as you go..... the nice thing is because you are going against the current it will slow you down so..... you could also likely do this at Cochrane and run up to Ghost which is where I have done it in the past and works even better in the PM hours when they have the flows up for hydro..... keep in mind that this part of the Bow is very low in the AM hours for the same reason

Poppa
04-27-2020, 04:12 PM
I am curious if the first day of "open water" fishing will be delayed this year because of the cold winter we had. I was really hoping to hit up Eagle at Strath on Mother's Day, but crazy to think that it might still be iced up even then...

archeryelk29
04-27-2020, 06:13 PM
Yes ...Cochrane....under the bridge

archeryelk29
04-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Afternoon is better....

deeman
04-28-2020, 06:14 AM
"Do it on the river right now before there's much boat traffic..... put in at Police and idle downstream a few miles as there is no open take outs below there right now..... once you are a 7 or 8 miles down start back up with your rev adjustments as you go..... the nice thing is because you are going against the current it will slow you down so..... you could also likely do this at Cochrane and run up to Ghost which is where I have done it in the past and works even better in the PM hours when they have the flows up for hydro..... keep in mind that this part of the Bow is very low in the AM hours for the same reason"

Thank you Kilgoretrout, I will keep this in mind when I have my complete set-up. Still waiting on Oars and I have to decide on an affordable anchor system for the boat as well. Went to order a Dierks but they are back ordered. I have never been on the BOW north of the city, that is now definitely a run I would like to do.

eagleflyfisher
04-28-2020, 06:44 AM
Iron aero may have an anchor system, close to police too.
What did you get for a motor?

deeman
04-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Iron aero may have an anchor system, close to police too.
What did you get for a motor?

I have called and talked to Iron Aero, as he has the Tracker oar lock mounts. The Anchor system sounds perfect but a little higher in price than I was hoping so I am trying to figure out something else for the time being. I have a 40hp merc mounted on a Tracker Mod V Jon Sportsman 1654

deeman
04-29-2020, 12:51 PM
I can tell you, as an employee of the EID that was involved in the decision, we are planning on having the boat launches at Crawling Valley Reservoir and Rolling Hills Reservoir open to the public May 1 unless we are directed by AHS or other authorities that we have to close them.

The campgrounds will remain closed until further notice.

Kinbrook Island is a PP therefore there is no vehicle access meaning the launch is not accessible at this time. There is a boat launch at Lake Newell Resort that can be used, however there is a launch fee. Info can be found at http://lakenewellresort.com/?page_id=21.

During the current group gatherings and social distancing measures that are in the place, the continued use of the launches will be up to those that are using it. If people are not following the rules we may be forced to close them, so please be respectful to ensure everyone has opportunity to get outside and enjoy the fresh air.

Also remember as part of the EID's Aquatic Invasive Species program, all watercraft must be registered with the EID to get your 2020 sticker. Launching of trailered watercraft is only allowed at approved launches.

Update from another thread, if anyone is interested.

fish99
04-30-2020, 09:32 PM
chestermere is ice free now, they just need to fill it now,

barbless
05-04-2020, 10:49 AM
chestermere is ice free now, they just need to fill it now,

Last I heard they will start letting water in on the 8th of May or sooner if water flow goes up by a significant amount

deeman
05-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Thanks barbless, I did see that on the EID website over the weekend as well. Hopefully I will be able to get out for a drive here and check a couple of lakes close enough to Calgary. Last thread I read on Chain is it was still frozen, Clear is ice free and so it PCR, but I am not sure about Mcgregor, Travers, Badger and CVR.