PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake Qestions....

drake
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, im planning on heading up to Slave Lake this weekend. I am wondering if anyone has any info on campsites. We'll be tenting it and would like a campsite with some privacy. Any side of the lake is fine with us.

Also, has anyone been up there latley. What can we expect for numbers of fish? I remeber reading an article in a fishing mag a few years ago about summer perch fishing on the lake. If i recall correctly they were chucking small slip bobber/jig setups into the weeds and catching the little rascles. Has anyone had any luck for humpies up there?

It should be a fun little adventure this weekend.......thanks for any help fellas.!

Rifle
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Spruce Point is nice, used to be amazing but is still a fairly nice, quiet, privately run campground, very sandy campsites. Dunno about the perch :).

sourdough doug
06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
If you are going anywheres these days, be sure to call ahead--right now!
I live in Slave and know that a lot of the camping areas close to town are heavily booked. "The Point", at Slave had some open spots this last weekend. Spruce pt. park has some nice tenting areas and sounds more like what you want. Most of the places do have some privacy but it's not like before. I, even have that problem on the trapline. Enjoy your weekend up here.. Sounds like it will be a nice one- and if you believe in the weatherman, I have something , I'd like to sell you
:wave:
As for the fishing , well, someone borrowed my boat a month ago and It appears they have no intention of returning it , so I'm kinda fishing the river for the time being..

Rackmastr
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Last June 2-5 we went to Shaws Point....we were planning on staying in the campground and then went a bit further up the road to the provincial site. We were 1 of 3 people in the ENTIRE park....and the weather was beautiful. It was for a stag, so we didnt have to worry about staying quiet or being up all night telling stories....we tied our boats to a little dock there away from the boat launch, and had no problems. Caught hundreds upon hundreds of fish within 2km from the dock.....it was a great spot.

Just look on the north side of the lake past Shaws Point.....we had good bear hunting too of course up that way....

For numbers of fish, you'll hammer walleye all day long...no doubt. They can be caught on ANYTHING it seems this time of year. Lots of the same size fish, but good eating. We caught some big perch on spinners as well....Aglia spinners worked well on them. Also hammered one 23lb pike and a bunch of smaller ones in the shallows....

Red Sky Shane
06-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Drake,

Doug was right in that there aren't a lot of sites around Slave Lake. There are a lot of workers in the area building the new Tolko mill staying around all season.

We run the campsite Big Fish Bay ( aka Perssons RV Park ) in Slave and we've got some tenting sites along the shore available for the weekend, or power sites...but no launch for big boats. 780-849-2020.

As I'm sure you've heard, it's hard to get anywhere on the east lake with tenting near boat access. The Point, Norm's walleye camp, and Roland on the River are all great, right along the river but they don't have very much for private tenting.

Marten River provincial camping on the north shore is an awesome campground but there's no launch on the north shore so it makes it tough to fish.

Another place you can try on the east end of the lake is a campground near the Canyon Creek hotel. It's right close to the government marina and there's a lot of tall trees for privacy. Reply back if you need some contact info. I could dig through the phone book for you.

There also is a campground in Assineau, west of Canyon a bit, but I have no idea about boating. Sorry.

Good luck this weekend. All our campers are doing really good, especially in the 6-8' of water range near shelves.

Sorry to hear about your boat still missing Sourdough.

drake
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys........its been a big help. I think we decided to stay at the PP camp ground north of town on hwy 88. PROBLEM though!.......the fella that was arranging the boat back out, and now we're a little stuck. Is there any where up there where we can rent one?.....or should i try to track a rental down in town. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Red Sky Shane
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Try calling Roland on River, they're on the west side of the river just after you cross the bridge on the way north to Marten River campground. You also could try Grizzly Ridge Honda, Whitecap Recreation (849-9700), or possibly Slave Lake Yamaha.

Bring your bikes, as the path system around the provincial campground is second to none.

Good luck, Shane.