PDA

View Full Version : River spin fishing technique

Rapala
07-29-2009, 04:44 PM
hi all

Can anyone tell me the techniques used on fast waters like the bow river

with spin fishing because i haven't caught a fish on the bow for like 3 days of fishing, and what lures do you guys recommend for trout?(i use rapala cd) and are jointed lures better than the normal lures?

Mr Wiggles
07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Try casting small spoons upstream of pools and slow sections, let the current carry the lure towards you, and reel in through the pools. The girlfriend caught a nice cutthroat just recently using that technique.

sheephunter
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
A Nymph below a bobber is another great option. Use a weighted nymph and about three times as much line as the depth of water. Cast upstream and allow it to drift downstream naturally. If the fish are rising, you can even cast a dry fly out with a bobber.

As for spinning gear, I've usually had good luck with small Countdown Rapalas, spinners and small spoons.

Beazer
07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I haven't nailed anything yet either but a great tip I recieved was using a Brown/Rainbow Trout Kastmaster with a Fly rigged behind it. Fish see the flash, follow, and nail the fly.

Cal
07-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I always get horrible tangles trying that.

salmonfan
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
have had some good success on the bow using small, sonic spinners. I like silver, but have seen other colors work well too.