PDA

View Full Version : Spring shore fishing near Penticton BC ?

maxitoman007
04-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm heading out to Penticton BC next week for a few days and would like to do some fishing (maybe catch my first bass...?). Do you guys have any suggestions? Not looking to travel too far and I plan on just using spin gear. I also don't have a boat.

From what I've read online, Skaha lake where the channel opens up into the lake can be good. as well as twin lakes and yellow lake. As for lures and baits, I have not found as many details.

I don't need to fish for monster fish and don't mind catching small perch all day or similar, just looking to have some fun.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

trigger7mm
04-24-2020, 04:05 PM
I’ve fished that area quite a bit. There are docks at Yellow Lake that you can fish from. I’ve caught many nice sized perch and quite a few rainbows off them. Perch, use a tiny jig with worms, and rainbows, use a small spoon or spinner. A flyrod works good too. At Skaha, if you want to try for a smallmouth, go to the south end of the lake to O.K. Falls and you will see an old train tressle. Fish there with a Senko, or even better yet, a drop shot rig with a dew worm on it. I’ve had good luck in both those spots. Good luck!

Red Bullets
04-24-2020, 04:39 PM
X2 on the old trestle at Okanagan Falls south of Penticton. There is a place to park right close to the trestle too. Google map it. The fishing was slow early but did manage a few bass there. I was just using various rubbertail jigs. Right in front of the parking lot facing the trestle was ok. I walked down the west side of the lake past the trestle and it was marginal early in the year. You could try casting for trout or kokanee too. Spoons or spinners might work.

Also Vaseaux lake just a bit south has bass too. Few access places but there is a roadside pullout on hwy 97.

maxitoman007
04-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tips! Vaseux lake provincial park is unfortunately closed due to COVID-19.

Smoky buck
04-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Vaseux if you can access the bird sanctuary fishing the lagoons is good for largemouth. The bay between the PP campground and bird sanctuary can be good for bass, perch, and sunfish mostly largemouth. There is some big perch if you are into that.

The okanagon River between Skaha and Vaseux can be good for trout and carp around the wiers

elk eater
04-24-2020, 08:56 PM
My vote is on Yellow lake. Love that lake. The piers are real nice to fish off of. Lots of turtles swimming around in summer to entertain you. Perch fishing is good. May even land yourself a real nice goldfish !!!! Years ago I used to fish Skaha at the canal opening for bass but it’s changed a bit so not sure how it is now. Good luck !!!

maxitoman007
04-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Thanks! might have to give yellow a try.

maxitoman007
05-01-2020, 11:11 PM
Made it out here. Think I might try my hand tomorrow.

HuyFishin
05-02-2020, 12:50 PM
I was gonna say vaseux lake. East side of the lake has a few spots to stand .

3blade
05-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Fished both 2 years ago in sept. Vaseaux was too shallow and weedy, didnt find any place to fish from shore but maybe better this time of year? Skaha by the trestle produced three eater sized rainbows (worm under a slip float) and saved the day. Made for a delicious dinner. No bass seen or caught, we fished hard all day, and I’ve caught them before on the island so have an idea of what to do. Good luck and post pics!

trigger7mm
05-02-2020, 08:58 PM
That’s interesting that you caught rainbows at the tressle. All I’ve every seen caught there were smallmouth. Good job!

maxitoman007
05-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Update.

Tried vaseux. Got some bites and caught a couple tiny bass on a senko. The lake has been rather windy lately though so I’m thinking of trying yellow lake or twin lakes next. Anybody have any more info on twin lakes? Which of the two twin lakes is best for fishing? Etc.