PDA

View Full Version : Skunked again

FishFearMe
07-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I fished today for a couple hours just below Beaver Flatts on the Bow. I saw several dozen small fish (maybe Whitefish) rising to what appeared to be a Mayfly hatch. Once something showered baitfish out of the water(probably not a Whitefish). I tried several different spinners and one jig to no avail. Not even a strike. Am having difficulty getting spinner near the bottom in the current.
Was a beautiful afternoon anyway!

floppychicken
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
...that sucks man. I hate getting skunked ! Doesn't happen much anymore, but I can usually count on one 'skunk' per season :(

You may want to think about getting a pontoon boat or something if you don't have a boat. It'll get you into some pretty cool places to fish. The other thing is a Fly Rod. Although I absolutely SUCK at it, river fishing with a Fly Rod is almost a necessity on the Bow..... I think you'd likely have MUCH better luck with spinning gear on the RED DEER.

Just my .02

/FC....

hal53
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
...that sucks man. I hate getting skunked ! Doesn't happen much anymore, but I can usually count on one 'skunk' per season :(

You may want to think about getting a pontoon boat or something if you don't have a boat. It'll get you into some pretty cool places to fish. The other thing is a Fly Rod. Although I absolutely SUCK at it, river fishing with a Fly Rod is almost a necessity on the Bow..... I think you'd likely have MUCH better luck with spinning gear on the RED DEER.

Just my .02

/FC....
X2 floated the Bow Quite a few times when I lived there (probably a 100),,,,get a flyrod and have some fun....

mistamikel
07-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Im fishing at lot at bears paw lately and on the norm I would bring in a trout or 2 or 3 lol\
but the last few times Ive went out nadda, Ive been mostly trying to fly fish now but still bring my spin cast. Well hopefully tomorrow I catch something lol but prolly not as I'll be going in the after noon with my little girl to take in some fresh air. BTW if anyones there and sees a moron trying to fly fish feel free to say hi lol

ericlin0122
07-30-2009, 09:23 AM
on flyrod....
get a floating grasshopper (dark color), and cast on the deep moving water. You will catch nice big ones. one friend was hitting almost non-stop last night. landed two 22inch+ brown.

brook trout
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
dude I ALWAYS get skunked. its annoying. fish rising and cant catch them:mad2:

FishFearMe
07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Thank you all for the helpful information...now a little assistance from the fish would be nice. Going to try a float on Sunday from Bowness to the Zoo weather permitting. Not going to try the flyrod from the raft due to lack of room and experience but will stop a few places along the way.
...and YES will DEFINATELY bring along a grasshopper.
Thanks again, and will let you know how I fare.

jboy
07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
yeah got a bite yesterday... i think! :lol:
If you got a plan tomorrow il come w/ you.. just have to buy some spinners in the morning..

its james....:evilgrin:

e40water12
07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Same thing for me too, Ive been fishing @ local fish pond resvivor, I know its loaded with trout ive caught them, Few days ive got skunked as well. even other days Ive caught tiny trout.All we can do is enoy the time we spend out in the outdoors.

Good Luck on youre fishing trip. :)

FishFearMe
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey there James...sorry I didnt see your post in time to fish. Hope u guys catch em up this weekend on your trip. I'll probably be back at "the spot" Tuesday after work. I think Im going to try the fly rod some this time especially if I can find one of those floating grasshoppers!!!

WayneChristie
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
if you are doing the float from Bowness, take along a spinning rod and some panther martins, I always caught some nice trout with them along the way, stop at the gravel bars and hit the deep edges you should get a few at least