PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Nasci

Sparkle
04-26-2020, 10:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vKoP724.jpg

Guys does anyone here own a Shimano Nasci? If so, do you get this hour glass like wrap when you spool on braid? I called Shimano on this problem . They say its normal because of the type of gearing it has. This makes no sense to me. Their lower line reels like the Sienna spools on braid perfectly.

Walleyedude
04-27-2020, 07:17 AM
That's not something that I would likely even notice lol. I've got a couple NASCI's and I really like them, they work cast very well and they've been bulletproof for me, even when I let the kids use them lol. I'll have to check and see if my line wrap looks the same.

Does it cause line twist? Sticking or cross wrapping that causes snagging on the spool? Decreased casting distance? Does it affect anything other than the appearance?

Hartly
04-27-2020, 08:30 AM
That's not something that I would likely even notice lol. I've got a couple NASCI's and I really like them, they work cast very well and they've been bulletproof for me, even when I let the kids use them lol. I'll have to check and see if my line wrap looks the same.

Does it cause line twist? Sticking or cross wrapping that causes snagging on the spool? Decreased casting distance? Does it affect anything other than the appearance?

Actually yes it does affect the performance of the reel. I went through the same thing. Love the Nasci. Reels very smooth , light in weight. Runs very well. One big problem. And a known problem to Shimano. The way the reel oscillates the line placement on the spool. In my situation when jigging in depths over 100 feet with a fluorocarbon leader. Because of the hourglass wrap that takes place the Fluoro leader ends up falling under or over the spool when retrieving. Shimano actually swappedout my first reel over this. Then realized afterwards it’s an oscillation design flaw when the second reel was doing the exact same thing when using braid. Shimano ended up giving me a credit towards a different reel.