PDA

View Full Version : Bullshead Reservior

tom
04-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Has anyone been fishing Bullshead:)

tallieho
04-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone – just wanted to touch base. I hope everyone is healthy and abiding by the provincial health orders during this very difficult time.

I want to share some information that will hopefully create some interest and excitement regarding stocked fishery angling opportunities this summer around Lethbridge and in the southeast (when we can angle safely in accordance with provincial health orders and all other closures or restrictions i.e. access and parking area closures). In looking at various stocking rates at different ponds, I’ve shifted some fish around in a couple places to provide opportunities where they haven’t necessarily existed previously.

• Keenex Trout Pond – will get 4000 Rainbow Trout. Anticipated stocking date is April 29.

• Nicholas Sheran Pond – I changed the stocking of this pond this year to increase opportunities. This includes stocking 2000 Rainbow Trout (20 cm) and 2000 Brown Trout (19cm). These fish have been stocked. Nicholas Sheran will also receive approx. 100 Rainbow Trout over 30cm sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Riverstone Pond – 1000 Rainbow Trout (20cm). Anticipated stocking date April 29. We will also likely stock some additional fish here in June (maybe even a new species) and Rainbow Trout again in September.

• McVinnie Pond – will get 2005 Rainbow trout (20 cm). Anticipated stocking date is April 29.

• McQuillan Reservoir – 2350 Rainbow Trout. This pond has been stocked.

• Brooks Aqueduct Pond – will get 20000 Rainbow Trout (18cm). Anticipated stocking date – week of Aril 27. This pond will also receive fish in September.

• Michel Reservoir – will get 23000 Rainbow Trout (18cm) around May 27.
• Michel Reservoir – will get 9000 Brown Trout (19cm) around May 07.

• Cavan Reservoir – this is new, we have stocked Cavan Reservoir (April 28) with 11000 Rainbow Trout (18cm). This is an opportunistic stocking based upon annual water level projections and has been stocked with the knowledge that fish will either be harvested or could perish due to low water sometime in the summer/fall depending upon irrigation needs.

• Reesor Lake – this lake will get 17000 Rainbow Trout around May 14 when ice off is well underway or complete.
• Reesor Lake will also get 3500 Tiger Trout in September (23cm)

• Spruce Coulee Reservoir – this waterbody will get 6000 Brook Trout during the first week of June.

I also know that the ACA has been stocking some ponds in the south as well in the past week so please check their website.

Bullshead Reservoir is still being monitored and there no plans to stock it so far this year. An update will be forthcoming once we can retrieve our sampling gear and look at the data.

Regards,

Shane Petry
Senior Fisheries Biologist
Grasslands District, South Saskatchewan Region
Alberta Environment and Parks
2nd Floor, 530 - 8 St. South
Lethbridge
i REC'VD THIS TODAY.Some good & bad news...

Fishfinder
04-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Thanx for the info, appreciated.:)

michaelmicallef
04-29-2020, 09:14 PM
Heard rumours that Michel had winter killed this year. Is that true?

whitetail Junkie
04-29-2020, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone – just wanted to touch base. I hope everyone is healthy and abiding by the provincial health orders during this very difficult time.

I want to share some information that will hopefully create some interest and excitement regarding stocked fishery angling opportunities this summer around Lethbridge and in the southeast (when we can angle safely in accordance with provincial health orders and all other closures or restrictions i.e. access and parking area closures). In looking at various stocking rates at different ponds, I’ve shifted some fish around in a couple places to provide opportunities where they haven’t necessarily existed previously.

• Keenex Trout Pond – will get 4000 Rainbow Trout. Anticipated stocking date is April 29.

• Nicholas Sheran Pond – I changed the stocking of this pond this year to increase opportunities. This includes stocking 2000 Rainbow Trout (20 cm) and 2000 Brown Trout (19cm). These fish have been stocked. Nicholas Sheran will also receive approx. 100 Rainbow Trout over 30cm sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Riverstone Pond – 1000 Rainbow Trout (20cm). Anticipated stocking date April 29. We will also likely stock some additional fish here in June (maybe even a new species) and Rainbow Trout again in September.

• McVinnie Pond – will get 2005 Rainbow trout (20 cm). Anticipated stocking date is April 29.

• McQuillan Reservoir – 2350 Rainbow Trout. This pond has been stocked.

• Brooks Aqueduct Pond – will get 20000 Rainbow Trout (18cm). Anticipated stocking date – week of Aril 27. This pond will also receive fish in September.

• Michel Reservoir – will get 23000 Rainbow Trout (18cm) around May 27.
• Michel Reservoir – will get 9000 Brown Trout (19cm) around May 07.

• Cavan Reservoir – this is new, we have stocked Cavan Reservoir (April 28) with 11000 Rainbow Trout (18cm). This is an opportunistic stocking based upon annual water level projections and has been stocked with the knowledge that fish will either be harvested or could perish due to low water sometime in the summer/fall depending upon irrigation needs.

• Reesor Lake – this lake will get 17000 Rainbow Trout around May 14 when ice off is well underway or complete.
• Reesor Lake will also get 3500 Tiger Trout in September (23cm)

• Spruce Coulee Reservoir – this waterbody will get 6000 Brook Trout during the first week of June.

I also know that the ACA has been stocking some ponds in the south as well in the past week so please check their website.

Bullshead Reservoir is still being monitored and there no plans to stock it so far this year. An update will be forthcoming once we can retrieve our sampling gear and look at the data.

Regards,

Shane Petry
Senior Fisheries Biologist
Grasslands District, South Saskatchewan Region
Alberta Environment and Parks
2nd Floor, 530 - 8 St. South
Lethbridge
i REC'VD THIS TODAY.Some good & bad news...

Nicholas sheran in Lethbridge...there are 20+ pound pike in that pond...I’ve caught a couple of them.

madatter
04-30-2020, 08:30 AM
Cavan Lake seems like a waste of fish to stock.....its extremely low

kbobbeck
04-30-2020, 08:52 AM
thanks for the info Tallieho

tallieho
04-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Heard rumours that Michel had winter killed this year. Is that true?

The biolgist said that yes it had suffered a signifcant kill.How bad,it was hard to tell.He was sending people to accesss how bad.Saying all of that.It can be winterkilled ,in various degrees.It does happen,but imo is rare for 100% kill.When it does,the larger fish seem to die off.Result off this.You'll see more fish stocked.Look up at the report from yesterday.

michaelmicallef
05-01-2020, 06:43 AM
The biolgist said that yes it had suffered a signifcant kill.How bad,it was hard to tell.He was sending people to accesss how bad.Saying all of that.It can be winterkilled ,in various degrees.It does happen,but imo is rare for 100% kill.When it does,the larger fish seem to die off.Result off this.You'll see more fish stocked.Look up at the report from yesterday.i

That’s unfortunate. Bullshead and Michel lake had some really nice fish worth driving for 3 hours. Alberta has a tough time maintaining a quality trout fishery with lake aeration. I did fish there mid winter and never even had a bite or a fish on the flasher so I don’t think it’s looking good .