PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake

jusfloatin
07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Good day to all
I would like to ask your help in making a week fishing Pigeon Lake one that all would remember.

Me and several members of my family have rented a cabin (Aug 16-23) for a family gathering/send off as one will be leaving for Afghanistan in September. As you could imagine my hopes is to find some fishing spots, tips that will make this trip as stated above one that all would remember.

I have never seen Pigeon Lake let alone fished it.
We have 2 boats which are capable of going anywhere it is suggested.

I understand no one like to give up a sweet spot but I humbly ask.

I will not give or reveal any spots I recieve unless it is posted or given permission to do so.

Any and all help, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

curteck
07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
if you head to the west side of the lake near the provincial campground you should see some boats about 1/4 mile out and that would be the "non secret " honey hole. it is a drop off and there are lots of walleye hanging out there fish in about 16 feet of water with a jig and minnow and you will have a blast

rammer
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
We fish pretty much every area of the lake. A jig head and a minnow or powerbait is probably the easiest and you'll catch as many fish as you want. For the most part they are all around 2.5lbs, but they are still fun to catch.

The southwest area is good fishing, but if you are located on another area of the lake you will have no trouble finding spots closer to the cabin you have.

nicemustang
07-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm going to be camping Aug 14 - 16th there with 2 other couples, and if my boat is fixed (fingers crossed) we will be searching the lake pretty good. I can let you know a couple of spots to try.

Else, the drop off right out of the PP is good, the bay at Mulhurst I hear is good, troll cranks, spinners or spoons in a couple of different colors and should be able to find pike as well.

Stewie
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
For someone who has never fished Pigeon make sure you respect any bad looking clouds headed your way... they will sneak up on you a lot faster then you think... its a big lake and can get rough real quick... I have a cabin on Mulhurst and have been caught a few times... The fishing is always good so giving up a few extra fish to stay safe is a good way to go... Good luck, like rammer said, a jig head and minnow and your laughing...

jusfloatin
07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
For someone who has never fished Pigeon make sure you respect any bad looking clouds headed your way... they will sneak up on you a lot faster then you think... its a big lake and can get rough real quick... I have a cabin on Mulhurst and have been caught a few times... The fishing is always good so giving up a few extra fish to stay safe is a good way to go... Good luck, like rammer said, a jig head and minnow and your laughing...

Thanks all

That where we have the cabin rented on Mulhurst and I guess thats why they suggested not to more up to there dock.

nicemustang
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, big lake and storm can come up in a hurry on a rocky shore, take your boat out of the water at night. If you fish right of the dock at mulhurst bay, friend of a friend who has a cabin there doesn't have a boat this year...and lots of fish caught right of the dock.

Jayball
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
My wife and kids and I have a cabin in mulhurst acually so we are out and fishing every weekend.

We have a small aluminum so all we fish is that side of the lake as it take too long for me to zipp to the park side. I did it once... took me 30 minutes!

Anyway... GREAT fishing fishing can be had at the south end of the bay at the silver beach point... on any given day there will be just as many boats lined up there as at the Provincial park. There is really nice hump there... just anchor and start with some pickeral rigs/minnows to get the kids attention. From the the mulhurst boat launch to the point... trolling would work as well.

Straight south of that point... all the way to the little pelican island... there are many humps which now are easy seen by the weeds... these are fun for walleye as well.

good luck..

Jayball
07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
docks... yes i have caught many off the dock. There are over 70 docks (about 60 too many IMO) of those small docks in the public area just south of the launch and if you ask nicely, folks wont have a problem with you fishing off them as long as you ask in advance.

Technically, those docks are all public access since folks put them on public property... but it never hurts to ask permision anyway.

Jay

carmike
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
There aren't any real secret places on Pigeon. Just wait for the weekend and see where all the boats are clustered...that's what I did the first couple times I went to Pigeon!

Happy jigging...

Ps. The fishing is excellent this year at Pigeon!

fishing_flower
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Ps. The fishing is excellent this year at Pigeon!

That's excellent. :DWe're heading up there tonight for the weekend:wave:

jusfloatin
08-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks to all that posted and thanks to the people that PM'd.

Got a busy week ahead first off I better look for a good deal on a bucketfull of minnows.
I"m in Calgary so who would be the best place to get that bucketfull.

curteck
08-01-2009, 09:48 PM
i get the big bags from superstore in the frozen fish section you could try there

jusfloatin
08-03-2009, 08:24 AM
i get the big bags from superstore in the frozen fish section you could try there

Superstore now that is a surprise I would never think to go there.
Thanks

Safety D
08-03-2009, 06:19 PM
That lake should be nice and gross with green algae by then.....

bigrfish
08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Was out yesterday...lake looks fine other than the water level being low.
As usual the walleye were plentiful.Fished away from the crowd and still managed to empty a tub in just over an hour.Slip bobber beat the jig tho(lol)much to my buddy's dismay... again lol... had to be there I guess.