PDA

View Full Version : Millions spent on Alberta fisheries through levy...

flyrodfisher
05-04-2020, 08:06 PM
In a previous post, it was asked how you would spend $50 million dollars if raised over 10 years through a tax on fishing related purchases.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=380087

It seemed clear that many did NOT want another tax.
Some had ideas where that money should go

Ok...here are some facts;
1) Over the past ten years the revenues of the Alberta Conservation Association totalled $147 Million
2) Of that revenue, on average for that ten year period, 29.4% came from fishing license sales.
3) So, over the past 10 years about $43 Million has been collected by the ACA which should have been used to engage in fisheries initiatives (this is in ADDITION to what AEP spent).

In essence, that money came from you through a "tax"...similar to what had been proposed in the original post.

Do you think that Alberta fisheries are better off from 10 years ago after spending $43 Million?
Do you know where/how that money was spent?
Do you think it was spent wisely?

AK47
05-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Do you think that Alberta fisheries are better off from 10 years ago after spending $43 Million??

For catch and release fishermen - better. For catch and keep - worse.

flyrodfisher
05-05-2020, 09:27 PM
For catch and release fishermen - better. For catch and keep - worse.

In your opinion, is that a result of the money spent by the ACA or the work done by AEP fisheries management?

flyrodfisher
05-08-2020, 10:50 PM
People complain about fishing in this province yet no one seems to care where or how their fisheries money gets spent.

Guess things are OK then?

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 07:14 AM
I think most are burnt out on this topic. Meaning fisheries and the state of it. Though you post an Alberta fishing sucks topic and you get a ton of responses...

I'm okay with it!! :)
As in the fishing.

I don't think most on here, myself included, know the answers to the questions you pose:

Do you think that Alberta fisheries are better off from 10 years ago after spending $43 Million?
Do you know where/how that money was spent?
Do you think it was spent wisely?

Pretty tough to have a conversation of substance without that. Anyone on here, and most seem to, can take pot shots at it and just complain for the sake of it (a definite pet peeve of mine).

Your approach is not like this so I appreciate what you are doing.

Without that knowledge to answer the questions, for now all I can say is that 43M is $4.3M average per year is not a lot. What was the total salaries and admin alone for the $43M? 40% 50%...higher? I would also consider the next 10 could be that much better now with an established ACA. But, $4.3M still is not much with ACA mandate covers so much. If it was just focused on fisheries improvements then the money might go further.

flyrodfisher
05-10-2020, 06:25 PM
I think most are burnt out on this topic. Meaning fisheries and the state of it. Though you post an Alberta fishing sucks topic and you get a ton of responses...

I'm okay with it!! :)
As in the fishing.

I don't think most on here, myself included, know the answers to the questions you pose:

Pretty tough to have a conversation of substance without that. Anyone on here, and most seem to, can take pot shots at it and just complain for the sake of it (a definite pet peeve of mine).

Your approach is not like this so I appreciate what you are doing.

Without that knowledge to answer the questions, for now all I can say is that 43M is $4.3M average per year is not a lot. What was the total salaries and admin alone for the $43M? 40% 50%...higher? I would also consider the next 10 could be that much better now with an established ACA. But, $4.3M still is not much with ACA mandate covers so much. If it was just focused on fisheries improvements then the money might go further.

Sadly, I think you are right...lots of complainers.

Perhaps the state of our fisheries is a direct result of the fact that many Alberta fisherman don't bother to think beyond the end of their own rod tip.

But...you did reply...that has given me some hope that some of the next generation that enjoy the resource will take an interest, and maybe show some passion in stewardship going forward.

Regarding your comment about "knowing" the answers...there is no "answer"...was just seeking opinions and trying to stimulate some discussion.

Without discussion, passion, caring and oversight, any system that collects hundreds of millions of dollars is a candidate for misuse.

With respect to your last two sentences....$43 million IS the amount that should have been allocated to fisheries initiatives in the past ten years.

Also, BTW...the ACA has been around for longer than 10 years.

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 06:37 PM
Sadly, I think you are right...lots of complainers.

Perhaps the state of our fisheries is a direct result of the fact that many Alberta fisherman don't bother to think beyond the end of their own rod tip.

But...you did reply...that has given me some hope that some of the next generation that enjoy the resource will take an interest, and maybe show some passion in stewardship going forward.

Regarding your comment about "knowing" the answers...there is no "answer"...was just seeking opinions and trying to stimulate some discussion.

Without discussion, passion, caring and oversight, any system that collects hundreds of millions of dollars is a candidate for misuse.

With respect to your last two sentences....$43 million IS the amount that should have been allocated to fisheries initiatives in the past ten years.

Also, BTW...the ACA has been around for longer than 10 years.

Thanks. Sounds like better management should be in place then with a well thought out mandate. Imagine a round table of actual outdoors-people that decide the mandate of ACA.

Just one small thing I would like to see is continued aeration and some of the smaller lakes. Winterkill is such a buzzkill. Can't save em all but there are some additional ones that should be added to the list.

pikeman06
05-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Throw all the money you want at it but can't fix the blue green algae and winter kill and summer kill that knocks numbers down with no stocking to replace the dead fish. They took a big step opening up some of these lakes that are polluted with walleye. Things will work themselves out in a few decades. Sharpen up those knives fellas. Do your part to thin the walleyes out, I know I'm gonna. There's still 2500 class b tags for pigeon.