PDA

View Full Version : Wierd occurance at Alberta beach

hockey1099
07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
While fishing 20 yards off the back side of the island directly north of the public boat launch it started to spit just slightly but no signs of lightening. At this time me and my two friends started to hear a buzzing electrical sound and every time i put my lure in the water i would get a very mild electrical shock. the shock would last as long as the lure ( 20z lead weight and wallaye rig) was in the water.

I have a 14' aluminum with a 25 hp merc both 1998. i also have a brand new portable humming board fish finder on board.

What happened?

As an aside there is a deer on the island now. We saw it swim past our boat and then climb on to the island. it ****ed off alot of birds.

bsnyder
07-30-2009, 07:40 PM
:wave:we were at Pigeon one time in the fog and everytime we went near our rods , sparks would jump from the rods to us and they were buzzing like crazy.At Slave we had the same thing plus our line would hang in the air,when our hair started standing up (funny but friekee)we decided it was getting too scary and headed in:scared:

hockey1099
07-30-2009, 07:44 PM
:wave:we were at Pigeon one time in the fog and everytime we went near our rods , sparks would jump from the rods to us and they were buzzing like crazy.At Slave we had the same thing plus our line would hang in the air,when our hair started standing up (funny but friekee)we decided it was getting too scary and headed in:scared:

The rod thing happened as well but the hair didnt move.

seahawkfisher
07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
i had that at pigeon last year too- right before i got as wet as if i went swimming in the 5 mins it took me to get back to the launch. pretty eerie feeling; i was getting a little zap every time i chanked my reel.
cheers

Paul C
07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
You are lucky to be talking about, static charge looking for a place to ground out. Does your fish finder still work ? I have only being exposed to a magnetic pulse from a lightning strike. It made my van eletronics do crazy things. Just lucky I was not hit directly.
Happy Fishin:D:D

superspud
07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
any time you hear that buzzing you should leave the area immediatly. i hear it while mountian climbing in storms and it means that lightening may strike very close.

michelle
07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Very true, leave the area or get out of the water. It means lightning is trying to find a place to discharge. The worst place to go is into a tent due to the metal poles. If it continues and you cannot move lie flat on the ground.

TheClash
07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
any time you hear that buzzing you should leave the area immediatly. i hear it while mountian climbing in storms and it means that lightening may strike very close.

agreed..i have had my mountain axe head start to glow a little...well not glow but like "bluey" sparks off of it...crazy stuff...electricity is crazy.

DustDee
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I once saw a blue glowing ball hovering above a fence post. There was a nail in the top of the post and the static electricity was gathering around the nail.

My Grandpa said that they used to see these blue glowing balls racing across the prairie following the barbed wire fence. Static electricity is a pretty cool thing. It can get dangerous too! Watch out for that lightning!!

Dusty

EarthDaddy
07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
That blue glow is St Elmos fire. you guys are all pocessed. the next thing you see will be a big white whale. scary stuff y'all playing with:lol:

MrDave
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Had the bad luck of being the one holding a barb wire gate, on a fenceline that got struck by lightning. Now I run when that tingle even starts. You definitely can feel the uprising electricity, and should know what it means.

floppychicken
07-31-2009, 01:27 AM
I remember standing on the 9th TEE box at a Calgary Golf course just after a HUGE rainfall. We were soaked to the bone but it was the last hole and it finished (like most do..) at the clubhouse so we figured we'd just play it out. So we're standing there getting ready to hit our drives and it gets DEAD quiet aside from a barely audible very low buzzing noise (sort of when your ears equalize with that ringing tone).

We all look at each other thinking, hmmm that's kinda strange when all of a sudden everyone's hair immediately stands up on end (where it WASN"T pasted to our skulls, from the rain..) and we all sorta' froze.

As we start dropping our clubs, there was a MASSIVE Flash and a bit of a weird smell and then everything seemed to be back to normal. We figure the lightning must have struck the Bow River which was only about 20 or 30 feet from where we were standing ! :scared:

That's the closest I've ever come to being hit by lightning. Freaky stuff for sure...

/FC...