PDA

View Full Version : Winterkill Reports.... Driedmeat Lake.... Any others?

Pikebreath
05-07-2020, 04:34 PM
From the Camrose Booster (Driedmeat article about 1/2 way down)

https://camrosebooster.com/columns-news

Not the first time Driedmeat has winterkilled, it will likely come back within a few years,,,, but in the meantime, it is unfortunate to lose a popular local fishing spot that was beginning to produce some big pike in recent years and even some walleye.

Any other confirmed reports of winterkill now that the ice has come off?

Sooner
05-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Be nice if the bear hunters could scoop a few pounds of fish for their bait sites.

Sad to see this on any lake. We did have a long drug out winter and ice.

Jokey75
05-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Fairly certain that Shemeluk Lake has killed this year as well.

J

338Bluff
05-10-2020, 09:49 PM
From the Camrose Booster (Driedmeat article about 1/2 way down)

https://camrosebooster.com/columns-news

Not the first time Driedmeat has winterkilled, it will likely come back within a few years,,,, but in the meantime, it is unfortunate to lose a popular local fishing spot that was beginning to produce some big pike in recent years and even some walleye.

Any other confirmed reports of winterkill now that the ice has come off?

Just ran out for a look. From what I could see it was 10 to 1 suckers vs pike. Most of the pike were hammer handles. Probably a partial kill. Will know in a week.

FlyTheory
05-11-2020, 09:06 AM
I think Ashland reservoir will probably be slight kill too. I also am certain we’ll be finding out really soon what the news is from Safety D.

trigger7mm
05-11-2020, 09:11 AM
Seen some dead ones laying on shore at Diplomat Mine Pond.

Pikebreath
05-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Just ran out for a look. From what I could see it was 10 to 1 suckers vs pike. Most of the pike were hammer handles. Probably a partial kill. Will know in a week.

Suckers could easily be 90% of the fish biomass in Driedmeat so it stands to reason one would see a lot more dead suckers than pike.

The presence of winterkilled "hammer handles" is not a good sign as young smaller fish tend to survive winterkills better than larger fish.

But, most winterkills are seldom 100%,,, and being connected to the Battle River,, the fishery will recover. Still it will likely be a lot slower angling for the next couple years.

Talking moose
05-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Suckers could easily be 90% of the fish biomass in Driedmeat so it stands to reason one would see a lot more dead suckers than pike.

The presence of winterkilled "hammer handles" is not a good sign as young smaller fish tend to survive winterkills better than larger fish.

But, most winterkills are seldom 100%,,, and being connected to the Battle River,, the fishery will recover. Still it will likely be a lot slower angling for the next couple years.

This.

338Bluff
05-11-2020, 12:31 PM

I read the article. We will see about the extended time to recover. I've lived here and fished the lake for years. Parts of the lake may still fish alright if the kill was not complete. Where were all the mature pike? Did not see a single fish over 2 lbs. No small dead suckers either (makes sense) Suckers are prey species so yes their should be more, but go walk a mile of shoreline like I did and get back to me if you think the impact on Pike was as significant as the article stated. Will put the boat in the lake on Friday and see for certain.

SNAPFisher
05-11-2020, 02:30 PM
Sounds like we can Dolberg to the list :(

338Bluff
05-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Sounds like we can Dolberg to the list :(

I've had conflicting reports on that one. Fairly reliable source told me it was only some rainbows. Fish were caught as recently as a day or two ago. Hold off on Dolberg. It might not have been a complete wipeout.

SNAPFisher
05-11-2020, 07:55 PM
I've had conflicting reports on that one. Fairly reliable source told me it was only some rainbows. Fish were caught as recently as a day or two ago. Hold off on Dolberg. It might not have been a complete wipeout.

I like your counter report. thanks!

Talking moose
05-11-2020, 08:12 PM
I’m surprised there wasn’t more winterkills with all the late snows that we had. Was pretty worried. Some big late dumps this year.

EZM
05-11-2020, 09:04 PM
I read the article. We will see about the extended time to recover. I've lived here and fished the lake for years. Parts of the lake may still fish alright if the kill was not complete. Where were all the mature pike? Did not see a single fish over 2 lbs. No small dead suckers either (makes sense) Suckers are prey species so yes their should be more, but go walk a mile of shoreline like I did and get back to me if you think the impact on Pike was as significant as the article stated. Will put the boat in the lake on Friday and see for certain.

The bigger fish die off first, maybe weeks and weeks ago, then sink to bottom. Seeing more smaller fish on the surface is not uncommon.

If suckers are dead, you can bet the winter kill was bad.

tallieho
05-12-2020, 06:08 AM
Hillers,Windchell add to the list..