PDA

View Full Version : how to get to little bear lake(moose horn lodge) Sask'?

stuartmcgrandle
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
anyone been to or know how to get to moose horn lodge at little bear lake north of prince albert?:confused::confused::confused::confused::co nfused:

jts1
07-30-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.moosehornlodge.net

nicemustang
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Lots of leeches in that lake...if your swimming.

winged1
08-03-2009, 09:14 PM
stopped in for gas there last week, booked a cabin for Saturday but cancelled due to to the fact that Pelican was producing a jack every 2nd cast. Fellow did say he had lakers biting at 100+ feet. Also said that the lake hadn't turned over yet but we discounted that along with several serm officers we spoke with. Tobin was slooow, but several said that night jigging was producing.

I haven't fished little bear or stayed at moosehorn, but it looks ok, except that the floorboards in the public can are rotten through.

There are several smaller lakes in the area that are stocked and are good producers. For the larger lakes, Pelican is full of smaller jacks/pickeral, but is commercial fished by natives. Mirond is reported to be a better quality fishery.

I stay at a buddy's in Nipawin which is about 3 hours from Saskatoon going through Melfort. From there we head west on 55 to Smeaton corner then north on 106 (Hansen lake road) passing Little bear on our way to the Ballantyne res at Pelican.

stuartmcgrandle
08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
thats good to know, i have two boys 10 & 7 that will freak out if they get "hit"

stuartmcgrandle
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks for info but excuse my obtusity, but i dont quite understand what you meant by "lake had not quite turned over yet"

winged1
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
when ice comes off, the upper water layers warm from the sun, sending the lakers deep. At some point, a combination of thermal and wind energy create vertical currents which bring the cold water (and fish) back toward the surface. This turning over of the thermal layers takes place twice on many lakes, once in spring, and again in the fall.

stuartmcgrandle
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks that was very informative, im gonna tell my friends about it tomorrow like it is common knowledge and act all self important, wicked LOL