PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert possible highway closure

Sea Hawk
05-09-2020, 12:22 AM
Just saw a story in the prince rupert paper that the natives may blockade the highway betwern terrace and rupert to limit travel through that area. It serms they are worried about travellers bringing in the virus. If it happens, i do not see them letying to many people from alberta through to rupert,

Serengeti Charters
05-09-2020, 01:12 AM
I want to clarify this is not all of BC and port hardy is open! With our deals right now you will fill the freezer, have a great time, and it won't cost the bank.

As of all of these threads, this is not all of BC...just Rupert, and Haida Gwaii!

CDNOutdoorsman
05-09-2020, 09:25 AM
I hope the RCMP are finally prepared to do their jobs. these blockades are getting old...

lonehunter
05-09-2020, 10:29 AM
That's a bad news, I have a fishing & camping trip planned to prince rupert in two weeks, .... I am worried now

barbless
05-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Fly in. Or just call Justin and say they have illegal guns. Oh ya FN are allowed to own what ever firearm they choose. FLY IN

GMX
05-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Lower mainland and the island guys just want to go fishing. Not sure how they can block a federal highway and federal harbour but we will see how it works out. The ferry’s are operational to the island I’d be heading that way fishing if I wasn’t working all summer. Port hardy and winter harbour would be my destination of choice.

Sea Hawk
05-09-2020, 05:26 PM
It seems that a short part of hwy 16 west of terrace goes through their reserve. The article says they can probably do it.

dave99
05-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Here is a link. Glad I am not heading West any time soon.

https://www.thenorthernview.com/news/lax-kwallams-propose-checkpoint-between-prince-rupert-and-terrace/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serengeti Charters
05-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Here is a link. Glad I am not heading West any time soon.

https://www.thenorthernview.com/news/lax-kwallams-propose-checkpoint-between-prince-rupert-and-terrace/

Don’t fear monger. Holy. This is like posting an article about one person in a protest having a nazi flag or something yet 9,000 other people were normal
Protestors but all you hear about is the one flag. Misleading

Drewski Canuck
05-09-2020, 08:53 PM
If it is a Reserve, there is a Treaty. The standard terms of the Treaties signed is the right of passage through the Reserves for anyone.

What is more troublesome is when an FN tries to exercise jurisdiction over its "territorial lands" by closing the lands to access, and our Government sits on its Butt and does nothing about the illegal closure.

Drewski

dave99
05-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Don’t fear monger. Holy. This is like posting an article about one person in a protest having a nazi flag or something yet 9,000 other people were normal

???

Maybe I should rephrase: glad I am not headed west on the Yellowhead anytime soon. Between the pipeline protests near Smithers and this potential issue of highway closures near Terrace it sounds like there are some serious social issues. I provided the link above the reason to avoid fear mongering.

I understand that your livelihood depends largely upon tourism from Alberta. I did no’t intend to sway potential business away from you or your operation. I sincerely hope that COVID is brought to heel soon, to the benefit of all of us.

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 07:19 AM

Well said words!

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 07:26 AM
I understand that your livelihood depends largely upon tourism from Alberta. I did no’t intend to sway potential business away from you or your operation. I sincerely hope that COVID is brought to heel soon, to the benefit of all of us.

Dave can respond to this better but I think you are over reaching. The point made was fear mongering and I'm sure not for the sake of one business but more to say "get a grip" in general. I think that is a good comment. From what I read on other threads sent me, and I wish they were not sent to me, there is a lot of mongering out there and hate. And that was coming from Albertans.

dave99
05-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Dave can respond to this better but I think you are over reaching. The point made was fear mongering and I'm sure not for the sake of one business but more to say "get a grip" in general. I think that is a good comment. From what I read on other threads sent me, and I wish they were not sent to me, there is a lot of mongering out there and hate. And that was coming from Albertans.

Snap and Serengeti, I was not aware of the other thread in which Albertans were posting disparaging comments about BC. I do not share those views.

I understand how, when viewed in the context of the other thread, my previous post is inflammatory. That was not my intent, period.

And now back to spending a great Mother’s Day with my wife and kids.

b_doornenbal
05-10-2020, 10:20 AM
So if asking the question about a possible disruption in traffic related to an article that is posted in a local paper and supported by local politicians is “fear mongering” then how do people get information?

The question asked is no different than asking is there a place to get my fish processed in X town. People are looking for information to plan a trip.

There are facts and questions in the article that could affect peoples trips (both guided and private) and they are trying to plan.

This was not all of BC, and the initial post was very specific about that. This questions does not affect the business or travel to other parts of BC. If nothing else likely more people will head other directions to avoid any uncertainty.

All people want to know is if they travel an extended distance will they be able to get through. Some people will try regardless and others will elect it’s not worth the risk or expense.

If you have a link or a site that is more reliable to communicate this issue I’m sure many would appreciate the information.

Enjoy your day.

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 10:32 AM
So if asking the question about a possible disruption in traffic related to an article that is posted in a local paper and supported by local politicians is “fear mongering” then how do people get information?

The question asked is no different than asking is there a place to get my fish processed in X town. People are looking for information to plan a trip.

There are facts and questions in the article that could affect peoples trips (both guided and private) and they are trying to plan.

This was not all of BC, and the initial post was very specific about that. This questions does not affect the business or travel to other parts of BC. If nothing else likely more people will head other directions to avoid any uncertainty.

All people want to know is if they travel an extended distance will they be able to get through. Some people will try regardless and others will elect it’s not worth the risk or expense.

If you have a link or a site that is more reliable to communicate this issue I’m sure many would appreciate the information.

Enjoy your day.

Here is the best article, and keep in mind, an article which doesn't make it fact, that they are considering it. It would be unfortunate for sure but these crazy times are bringing out the worst in some groups.

Sounds like they have their panties in a bunch over a few bad eggs. Ridiculous reaction if they actually try this. And, their own form of fear mongering, imho. I also understand when some scream "stay home!" because a few bad eggs can make the situation potentially that much worse.

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Here is another one:
https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/events/events.html

Some of the info is old so just keep that in mind. Search for "non-essential" on the page.

I haven't found a number to call but there must be a highways BC or something that you can confirm before you go and plan your travel route.

CranePete
05-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Perhaps these will help:
Terrace Visitor Centre - 250-635-4944
Prince Rupert Visitor Centre - 250-624-5637
Personally, I think a person should mount a cow-catcher and go for a drive. Having said this, I hope that common sense prevails and everyone can do their thing (whatever that may be) without worry soon.
Tight lines.

SNAPFisher
05-10-2020, 03:14 PM
Perhaps these will help:
Terrace Visitor Centre - 250-635-4944
Prince Rupert Visitor Centre - 250-624-5637
Personally, I think a person should mount a cow-catcher and go for a drive. Having said this, I hope that common sense prevails and everyone can do their thing (whatever that may be) without worry soon.
Tight lines.

Thanks! That is helpful. I'm hoping for something province-wide for highway reports if there is such a thing. Amen on all the rest.

Drewski Canuck
05-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Did the BC Ministry of Transportation sanction the stop sign? If not, and it is a Provincial Highway, will BC act like they are in charge and take down the stop sign to allow traffic to pass?

If the small towns want to shut down all their services along the highway, then they can face the economic disaster. It is the highway users who are buying gas and supplies, renting hotel rooms, etc, not the locals.

Drewski

Bushleague
05-10-2020, 04:07 PM
I hope the RCMP are finally prepared to do their jobs. these blockades are getting old...

There are a number of reserves in Canada that pretty much just wait for any old excuse to throw their weight around. Prince Rupert seems to have joined those ranks.

Personally I think the rest of us should set up a blockade to keep those buggers ON their reserve and see how they like it.

CranePete
05-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Try drivebc.ca

Jigsalot
05-10-2020, 04:27 PM
There are a number of reserves in Canada that pretty much just wait for any old excuse to throw their weight around. Prince Rupert seems to have joined those ranks.

Personally I think the rest of us should set up a blockade to keep those buggers ON their reserve and see how they like it.

Yes we should but they have the upper hand. RCMP would arrest us.