PDA

View Full Version : River walleye opener

chucklesthe3rd
05-09-2020, 06:57 PM
How’s everyone been doing on the river eyes? So far I’ve had some decent luck but nothing over 26. Also haven’t been catching in large numbers which is a little odd.

walleyechaser
05-10-2020, 11:12 AM
The weather has not been cooperating. Caught a few, but nothing big.

Talking moose
05-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Here on the nsr this year only 2 Goldeye, 5 walleye, 2 sturgeon, about a dozen suckers, and about 100 of the most annoying 3/4 of a pound burbots.
River is infested right now. (More so than previous springs).

walleyechaser
05-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Here on the nsr this year only 2 Goldeye, 5 walleye, 2 sturgeon, about a dozen suckers, and about 100 of the most annoying 3/4 of a pound burbots.
River is infested right now. (More so than previous springs).

Lots of those in the old man too. Luckily they seem to bugger of during the day. Really annoying having to rebait every 5 mins due to dink burbot

chucklesthe3rd
05-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Hit the lower bow last night. Terrible session, just a couple dink burbs and a sucker. Might hit the dam with some crankbaits or spoons for the extremely pressured walleye and pike in the area.

FishyMcFisherson
05-13-2020, 11:31 PM
Hi, as you can see by my post count I am new to posting but have been reading the forum for a few years so I know asking about specific spots is a no-no so that’s not what this question is.

Growing up in Saskatchewan, I have fished for Walleye a ton but I am new to river fishing so was hoping for a few tips. I have heard from multiple people via word of mouth that Bassano dam is a good spot for Walleye in the Bow. My son and I made the trek down there from Calgary last year and gave it a try without much luck. My impression was that the day we picked wasn’t the greatest time.

Just wondering what time of year is best there? Is the typical June timeframe that produces best in most bodies of water too early?

The day we went one of the spillways on the extreme right of the dam was open (looking upstream). Does that matter? It made the water extremely fast on within casting range from shore which I would guess is not ideal, or would that mean we were too close to the dam?

Any help would be appreciated as my son has been pestering me to go again but would like to increase our odds due to the distance we have to travel.

Thanks

WayneChristie
05-14-2020, 06:58 AM
Hi, as you can see by my post count I am new to posting but have been reading the forum for a few years so I know asking about specific spots is a no-no so that’s not what this question is.

Growing up in Saskatchewan, I have fished for Walleye a ton but I am new to river fishing so was hoping for a few tips. I have heard from multiple people via word of mouth that Bassano dam is a good spot for Walleye in the Bow. My son and I made the trek down there from Calgary last year and gave it a try without much luck. My impression was that the day we picked wasn’t the greatest time.

Just wondering what time of year is best there? Is the typical June timeframe that produces best in most bodies of water too early?

The day we went one of the spillways on the extreme right of the dam was open (looking upstream). Does that matter? It made the water extremely fast on within casting range from shore which I would guess is not ideal, or would that mean we were too close to the dam?

Any help would be appreciated as my son has been pestering me to go again but would like to increase our odds due to the distance we have to travel.

Thanks

Ive walked down the shore below the dam a ways and caught some decent fish. years ago we used to fish right under the dam and Ive seen some monster pike and rainbows come out but now you cant so its walk a bit. Have you thought about trying for walleye and pike at Crawling Valley? I hear a lot of fish come out from the dam area, never fished that part myself so someone else may be able to help and you are already driving that far anyways

pinelakeperch
05-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Ive walked down the shore below the dam a ways and caught some decent fish. years ago we used to fish right under the dam and Ive seen some monster pike and rainbows come out but now you cant so its walk a bit. Have you thought about trying for walleye and pike at Crawling Valley? I hear a lot of fish come out from the dam area, never fished that part myself so someone else may be able to help and you are already driving that far anyways

The little headgates at Crawling can be a good spot for high numbers of walleye and some nice pike. I preferred to jig right at the spillway, but others bait fish off the shore.

FishyMcFisherson
05-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys, great suggestions. Crawling Valley definitely looks like a good spot to try.

chucklesthe3rd
05-14-2020, 10:55 PM
The dam is a pretty busy and pressured spot. There’s fish there for sure and most of the time they’re sitting right up against the dam but getting them to bit is so difficult.I’ve managed to find some better spots recently and I’ve practically abandoned the dam for the people who decide to try their slim chances there. The red deer river is a great river to fish too but I haven’t fished it in a while.