PDA

View Full Version : Fishin the Sheep river

tipyoursledmoregas4me
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
hi can anyone give info on fishing the sheep river between black diamond area and okotoks. Never tried it before, can i catch fish on my spinning rod some how? what hooks would i use ? im headed out there this weekend any help would be appreciated!

SuCraM
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Forget about the spinning rod and grab a fly rod. I always have the best luck with flies. If you dont have a fly rod use a bobber and split shots about a foot up from you r fly and that works good too. Hope this helps.

Cal
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
I've never fished the sheep but I've fished other rivers in the area. Me and my wife have caught quite a few trout on spinning gear as well as fly fishing gear. Spinners, spoons, and small plugs work as do as flys below the rig sucram described. you can also fish them with just the splitshot and no bobber or on a nail rig. I almost always use my flyrod but when when theres alot of brush in the way of my backcast or a very deep pool I often am tempted to try and get my wife to trade me her spinning rod.

marlin1
07-31-2009, 07:03 PM
we used to do alright on the sheep with panthers

WhiteyChaser
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I've also wondered about the sheep river, i fish the highwood all the time, but never the sheep. can you pull some good size fish out of there or is it mostly little guys? and is it good fishing like the highwood or just hit or miss?

Denadii Cho
08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I've also wondered about the sheep river, i fish the highwood all the time, but never the sheep. can you pull some good size fish out of there or is it mostly little guys? and is it good fishing like the highwood or just hit or miss?

I was just throwing a hook around on the Sheep over to Sandy Mcnabb area. I got my limit. No trout allowed. LOL :wave:

Okotokian
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I fish the sheep alot as I live about a two minute walk from it. Definitely more suited to a fly, especially this time of year as it's so shallow. I was out last night tossing some sticks into it for the dog. He usually swims out to get them. Last night he waded right across, no swimming!

One place I often see cars at that you might want to try that has (or at least had a month ago) some pools .... From downtown Okotoks drive west towards Millerville/Strathcona-Tweedsmuir/AHIEA gun club. You will be on the north side of the river. About a km out of town you will cross railway tracks. Park it there and walk in. I've caught a few there, and it's not my FAVOURITE spot, so you can fish there :D

OutwardBound
08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Talked to a guy fly fishing last year he swears by an oange and yellow stimulator, caught 40 or 50 whitefish. It was about this time of year.

Dustin

Sheepriverrules
12-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Talked to a guy fly fishing last year he swears by an oange and yellow stimulator, caught 40 or 50 whitefish. It was about this time of year.

Dustin

yes there difinetly is some whitefish in there but havent had any luk catching them only bullies and rains and suckers