PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Jasper

SNAPFisher
05-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Nothing official yet but I see the Maligne Lake tours are getting ready for a restart on 4-June with social distancing. I'm hoping campgrounds as well with additional restrictions. Anyone else find anything?

McLeod
05-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Still waiting word. The locals can fish though

Albertadiver
05-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Whistlers remains under construction for another year.

teledogs
05-13-2020, 02:41 PM
From what I hear Parks will be open to the public on June 1 with some restrictions. Parks will open in 3 phases. Phase 1 is day use areas and highway pull offs( June 1) Some campgrounds will open in Phase 2 but none on the south highway, no date yet. And no word on phase 3 yet. All tentative of course.

Mr. Twister
05-18-2020, 04:42 PM
I received a email

This is a message from the Parks Canada Reservation Service. We are writing to you about your reservation(s) with Parks Canada during the period of June 1 - June 21, 2020.

Parks Canada will begin a safe, gradual opening of some outdoor locations in national parks, national historic sites, and national marine conservation areas starting June 1. This may include vehicle access and some parking lots, use of some trails, day use areas and green spaces.

All camping facilities including backcountry camping, oTENTiks, and other roofed accommodations remain closed until at least June 21, 2020 while Parks Canada assesses whether and how these services might resume.

All reservations for the period of June 1 through June 21, 2020 will be cancelled automatically, and all fees paid will be refunded. You do not need to cancel your reservation.

In these exceptional circumstances, refunds may take some time to process. Your refund may take place in multiple payments; please allow a few weeks to receive your full refund.

You are encouraged to visit www.parkscanada.gc.ca/covid-19 frequently for information and updates.

We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.

Discouraging

SNAPFisher
05-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Yeah. Disappointing for me not discouraging. I've lost two bookings so far. Made 5 this year. 3 to go. It is, what it is.

Might make a day trip to some day use areas in Jasper. Long day trip, but why not.

McLeod
05-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Yeah. Disappointing for me not discouraging. I've lost two bookings so far. Made 5 this year. 3 to go. It is, what it is.

Might make a day trip to some day use areas in Jasper. Long day trip, but why not.

Hinton will be an option to stay at for camping.

SNAPFisher
06-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Update, called OnLine in Jasper. Good to go on visitors fishing (day use). Slow start but locals have been out and doing well. Maligne is still frozen over with some opening in home bay - getting close then.

Logistics,
Online and The Source are the only places you can get a fishing license. Not convenient. FishingHole does not have them yet but that could change soon. I'll be checking in with FH this week and hoping they get them in.

smitty9
06-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Update, called OnLine in Jasper. Good to go on visitors fishing (day use). Slow start but locals have been out and doing well. Maligne is still frozen over with some opening in home bay - getting close then.

Logistics,
Online and The Source are the only places you can get a fishing license. Not convenient. FishingHole does not have them yet but that could change soon. I'll be checking in with FH this week and hoping they get them in.

Thanks for the update! Obviously, the road to Maligne is open.

Dad and I are going this weekend. Weather looks snotty though...was hoping for some hot home bay action. Not sure how it will fish in the rain.

SNAPFisher
06-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the update! Obviously, the road to Maligne is open.

Dad and I are going this weekend. Weather looks snotty though...was hoping for some hot home bay action. Not sure how it will fish in the rain.

Nice! Yeah, was thinking of maybe the same. At least the wind looks okay.

Man, what a freakin cold spring so far. And windy!

Dark Wing
06-01-2020, 02:41 PM
Can you purchase a park fishing license on line or at the gate ?

smitty9
06-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Can you purchase a park fishing license on line or at the gate ?

Licenses are not sold at the Park gates. You have to buy them in the town of Jasper at Online Sport and Tackle.

Or, if in Edmonton, and they get them in time, The Fishin' Hole.

Dark Wing
06-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Licenses are not sold at the Park gates. You have to buy them in the town of Jasper at Online Sport and Tackle.

Or, if in Edmonton, and they get them in time, The Fishin' Hole.

Thanks

dave99
06-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Maligne lake road open as of today, June 1.

Home Bay is ice free, and from what little I could see of the main lake it appeared ice free also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speckle55
06-03-2020, 09:40 AM
I was up June 1

had to wait till gate was opened 6:54 am

just fished home bay crystal clear

stayed in deeper water

fish till noon

4 bows 2 in full spawning colors

biggest was a 22 incher

on license Astoria hotel has them too & On-Line

have fun

here is the river spawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHTZRSUPHE

David:)

Penner
06-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Whats the biggest Bow or Brookie anyone has personally caught out of Magline?

3lbs for a Brookie, 4lbs for a Bow have been tops for me. My father caught up Bow's up to 6-7lbs back in the 80's and heard of the allgeded 20lbs record being caught back in those days as well. More curious than anything.

Speckle55
06-03-2020, 07:38 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=295335&highlight=Roll+back+Thursday

David:)

Whats the biggest Bow or Brookie anyone has personally caught out of Magline?

3lbs for a Brookie, 4lbs for a Bow have been tops for me. My father caught up Bow's up to 6-7lbs back in the 80's and heard of the allgeded 20lbs record being caught back in those days as well. More curious than anything.

SNAPFisher
06-04-2020, 07:13 AM
I'm about the same for both brookies and bows. All nice fish. No monsters. Tastiest trout I've ever had...except for certain cutty lakes :)

My dad had a bow on that came at the boat, we saw it clearly, went by at mock 100, and then snapped him like nothing. We were guessing 10lbs which is unlikely. But for sure a 6-7 lber. Biggest I've seen but not landed.

Also, met two gents on a rough day back at the launch. They had two twin bows on the stringer that were over 5 lbs each. We weighed them with my scale.

Penner
06-04-2020, 02:45 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=295335&highlight=Roll+back+Thursday

David

Thats quite the story. Thanks for sharing.

Elchinodiablo
06-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Dont mean to change the thread topic. Maligne has always been on my list to fish. Now that I seem to have the right boat and equipment. I was wondering what good lodgings are in the area. Hopefully some place to lay my head and have a shower and be on the lake without breaking the bank. I havent figured out how to tow my trailer and boat to camp up there. Thanks and sorry for the change.

smitty9
06-04-2020, 11:50 PM
Dont mean to change the thread topic. Maligne has always been on my list to fish. Now that I seem to have the right boat and equipment. I was wondering what good lodgings are in the area. Hopefully some place to lay my head and have a shower and be on the lake without breaking the bank. I havent figured out how to tow my trailer and boat to camp up there. Thanks and sorry for the change.

You have 4 basic options:

1) Hotels / motels; generally most expensive booked well in advance.

2) Camping; cheaper, most booked well in advance. Some major re-development at Whistlers means its closed till 2021; even less camping spots now.

3) Approved accommodation - kinda like B&B's, except technically they're not, no breakfast included with most, moderately expensive, my #1 choice for me and my elderly dad, that's what we're doing this weekend. Also, shocking, booked well in advance lol.

4) Hostel; cheap, booking? Yeah, probably well in advance! :)

For option #3, use this website: https://stayinjasper.com/

More:
https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/jasper

https://www.jasper.travel/where-to-stay/

https://www.jasper.travel/accommodations/hi-jasper-hostel/

Info on Whistler's closure:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/carte-FII-map/whistlers

fishinhogdaddy
06-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Just got an automated message and refund for our reservation in July.
Was SO looking forward to spending time with my Son on new waters.
:angry3: Stupid "social distancing" excuse!
Isn't camping social distancing at it's best??
FHD

smitty9
06-19-2020, 11:00 AM
3) Approved accommodation - kinda like B&B's, except technically they're not, no breakfast included with most, moderately expensive, my #1 choice for me and my elderly dad, that's what we're doing this weekend. Also, shocking, booked well in advance lol.

For option #3, use this website: https://stayinjasper.com/

Fishinhogdaddy:

Is this an option for you? That's what me and my elderly father did a few weeks ago in Jasper.

smitty9
06-19-2020, 11:06 AM
on license Astoria hotel has them too & On-Line

Yes. ^This.

If Online and Source's store hours are too limiting - and they definitely were for dad and I as we rolled into Jasper at 7:45pm 2 weeks ago - go to the Astoria Hotel.

George Andrews bought Lorne Currie's (may he RIP) guiding outfit, and he owns the Astoria.

If you need a license early in the morning or late evening, the Astoria is super convenient, as there often is someone at the front desk. You could call ahead to make sure someone is around.

George also rents big freighter canoes and batteries as well.

fishinhogdaddy
06-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Wayyy out of our price range for a 5 day trip.
I understand they have to make money too.
But, not off us at the rates posted as apposed to the very minimal camping fees we paid.
After all, for us, it's just a place to sleep.
On to "Plan B" I guess...
FHD

Albertadiver
06-19-2020, 12:31 PM
Would it make you guys mad if I said I'm being paid to camp in Jasper plus my meals, and I get a fair amount of free time......

:scared0018:

dave99
06-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Here is one that we caught a couple days ago.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/3c207b9e7a5ff885b4341f555e4fc084.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAPFisher
06-20-2020, 05:21 AM
Just got an automated message and refund for our reservation in July.
Was SO looking forward to spending time with my Son on new waters.
:angry3: Stupid "social distancing" excuse!
Isn't camping social distancing at it's best??
FHD

I've had two cancelled myself so far. As always during this pandemic, has to do with managing risk. Put it this way, what if your family business was maintaining one of those said campgrounds in Jasper. Would you feel comfortable putting them out there to clean and maintain the washrooms, showers, garbage, sites, etc?
Maybe think about this from a different perspective like this.

As an option, you could park in Hinton at the Walmart parking lot. Not nearly as nice as the campground but cheaper than a B&B.