PDA

View Full Version : Winefred lake Early June

Jamie
05-13-2020, 10:21 PM
Hey guys.. Thoughts on Winfred lake in early June? Weather should be what?? Good fishing?

I have been trying to get in touch with them but it is a struggle. Any suggestions? Another place in Alberta as good from a Drive in POV? Saks is just to far it seems. We were supposed to go north of Laronge but we don't have time for the drive.

7mmremmag
05-14-2020, 07:43 AM
I was going to call Paul today and inquire about Winefred.
I believe northern sask is still closed, they had road blocks up to shut off visitors from the southern portions of sask.

dustinjoels
05-14-2020, 07:50 AM
Fishing should be good. Early June is pretty much prime time. Weather will be erratic. Could be 5C, could be 30C. It could be glass calm or so windy you can’t get on the lake. I’ve experienced all those weather conditions that time of year.

Let me know if you find a better drive to lake.

Sounds like Paul is pretty much booked for the year, but you should call anyways in case there’s som last minute openings.

Jamie
05-14-2020, 11:13 AM
I have been trying for 5 days to get through and also sent a Email. Anyone have another number to reach these guys?

7mmremmag
05-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Has anyone heard if they have lifted the travel bans to Northern Sask yet?
I looked online and cant find where it says any different.
Ill be at my lot on Turtle all weekend but would like to head further north for 3-4 days at the end of the month.

7mmremmag
05-14-2020, 11:35 AM
I have been trying for 5 days to get through and also sent a Email. Anyone have another number to reach these guys?

I only have the number off google

WinefredCommander
05-14-2020, 11:52 AM
Good luck! Heard she's still iced for this wkd!

ab_hunter
05-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Ill be at my lot on Turtle all weekend but would like to head further north for 3-4 days at the end of the month.

Would you be able to post a link to where you saw travel bans for northern Saskatchewan? Thanks

dustinjoels
05-14-2020, 12:54 PM

Travel bans have not been lifted yet.

dustinjoels
05-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Are you trying winefred lake lodge or Paul’s place winefred lake outfitters?

dustinjoels
05-14-2020, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=ab_hunter;4170008]Would you be able to post a link to where you saw travel bans for northern Saskatchewan? M

Thanks[/https://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/COVID-19-Information

Info regarding the travel ban to northern sask. as well as hotline number. There’s another entire thread on this topic on this forum titles sask fishing cancelled or something to that effect.

guru fisher
05-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Go to the lodge it’s way better.

dustinjoels
05-14-2020, 11:55 PM
Go to the lodge it’s way better.

Depends what you’re looking for. Paul’s is closer, has a better boat launch, and is more affordable. If you’re looking for extra comfort or a meal plan then yes I’d choose the lodge.

To each their own

35 whelen
05-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Some of my friends have been going to Winifred the new owners supposedly have raised the price quite dramatically I've Been Told.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

WinefredCommander
05-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Some of my friends have been going to Winifred the new owners supposedly have raised the price quite dramatically I've Been Told.

Still pretty disgusted they sold to Lloyd McMahon, the greasiest outfitter in ALL of Alberta. Money talks and integrity walks.

sns2
05-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Still pretty disgusted they sold to Lloyd McMahon, the greasiest outfitter in ALL of Alberta. Money talks and integrity walks.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that place. No way. No how.

guru fisher
05-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Paul’s pretty greasy too. Charges you for everything. If you fart
That costs also and he drinks all your beer

trophyhunter
05-16-2020, 09:30 PM
Paul’s pretty greasy too. Charges you for everything. If you fart
That costs also and he drinks all your beer

Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie
05-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Looking at the lodge. Never really thought of Pauls. Whats the difference? So the lodge will not answer the phone. They responded to one email last week that Ia asked them to call directly with "Look at the web site" Trying to spend some $$ in this province is really hard sometimes.

35 whelen
05-17-2020, 11:05 AM
If people can't return calls or emails or texts when you're trying to send money to their business I'd say they're not worth going to

OL_JR
05-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Looking at the lodge. Never really thought of Pauls. Whats the difference? So the lodge will not answer the phone. They responded to one email last week that Ia asked them to call directly with "Look at the web site" Trying to spend some $$ in this province is really hard sometimes.

If it means anything I called Winifred Lake Outfitters tonight (Paul) to enquire about some things and he answered.

FishHunterPro
05-18-2020, 07:46 AM

Crazy it was already pretty pricey , but I think that’s because they forced everyone for a boat rental with your stay.

FishHunterPro
05-18-2020, 07:49 AM
If people can't return calls or emails or texts when you're trying to send money to their business I'd say they're not worth going to

I agree 100%

Flight01
05-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Not sure on current pricing. But was expensive before.
I’ve been on 2 single day boat only trips there , 2 economy cabins bring your own food multi day trips, 3 full service multi day trips through work.
My suggestion though is if price is too much , consider their tent camp at sand river. I think they actually upgraded that to basic cabins?

Jamie
05-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Pauls is full till August. Winefred Lodge still hasn't returned calls or Emails. Straight up, Sask is looking better and better. I enjoyed the fishing at the Lodge last time but not being able to find out if they have room or exact prices is killing me here.

WinefredCommander
05-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Pauls is full till August. Winefred Lodge still hasn't returned calls or Emails. Straight up, Sask is looking better and better. I enjoyed the fishing at the Lodge last time but not being able to find out if they have room or exact prices is killing me here.

McMahon doesn’t care. He makes bank on outfitting bears and the less “locals” around fishing the more he gets away with bear outfitting.

dustinjoels
05-19-2020, 10:35 AM

If you want to get into Paul’s in June, you need to book about a year in advance.

Jamie
05-20-2020, 10:56 PM
HUGE update.....
Winefred Lake lodge has STILL not called back....

Another round of Emails and more calls ....

WTF is wrong with these people?

BigCinnamon005
05-20-2020, 11:33 PM
Paul 780-404-3213
Sherry 780-404-3822
Not sure which number you fellas found online but here are both of their cells. I fish their often as I work up here. I've never had much luck calling Paul, call Sherry instead.

Jamie
05-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Paul 780-404-3213
Sherry 780-404-3822
Not sure which number you fellas found online but here are both of their cells. I fish their often as I work up here. I've never had much luck calling Paul, call Sherry instead.

Oh no.. Getting in touch with Paul/Sherry was easy. Unfortunately, they are booked solid. It is/was Winefred lake LODGE we are trying to get in touch with. Just starting my list of Sask places to call now. Hopeful to keep it in the same driving distance or close.

BigCinnamon005
05-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Oh no.. Getting in touch with Paul/Sherry was easy. Unfortunately, they are booked solid. It is/was Winefred lake LODGE we are trying to get in touch with. Just starting my list of Sask places to call now. Hopeful to keep it in the same driving distance or close.

Ahhh gotcha ya my bad. Ya I have only fished with the new owners twice now and neither was a good experience. Will not be going back.

Jamie
05-22-2020, 12:27 AM
Ahhh gotcha ya my bad. Ya I have only fished with the new owners twice now and neither was a good experience. Will not be going back.

Really that bad?/ Whats the issue? I was there before these guys took over. I enjoyed the trip. How bad can they screw this up?

bigrfish
05-22-2020, 01:02 AM
Hey Jamie, Pierce lake is a pretty decent spot. Haven't been there in a while but they have camping and cabin rentals as well. Howes Bay Resort for both and Sandy Beach campground for camping. You are close to Cold lake and a bunch of other lakes as well. Mostly Lakers and pike in Pierce but there are a few smaller lakes nearby with walleye. Check it out. It's just north of Pierceland Sask.

dustinjoels
05-23-2020, 09:08 PM
I just got an email blast from winefred lodge. Says they opened May 20th.

Here’s the contact info in the email.

-Our main lodge, kitchen and office will be closed to guests for the time being.
Prior to arrival at the camp for check in we ask that you email us or call 780-818-6201 and pay your balance via Credit Card or EMT to info@winefredlakelodge.ca
Staff will meet you outside the front office and show you your accommodations.

Maybe that’ll help.

Jamie
05-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Yeah, they finally kinda got back but still have not answered my Emailed questions and refuse to pick up the phone and call.. This is very frustrating.

DJS
05-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know the condition of the road going in? Am thinking about heading up there next week. Have a 19' Fibreglass boat to pull in but if it's rough and muddy will probably not chance it.

Douglas N
05-27-2020, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know the condition of the road going in? Am thinking about heading up there next week. Have a 19' Fibreglass boat to pull in but if it's rough and muddy will probably not chance it.

Road is not good now but can dry up fairly fast. Two days ago, on the way to the main lodge, past the airstrip, there was a 1 ton dually pulling a boat buried up to the axles (truck and boat trailer). Currently raining up there now.

MooseRiverTrapper
05-27-2020, 03:21 PM
Reading the about the price gouging, road, drama and you can’t keep a fish or use bait... This doesn’t sound very fun.

DJS
05-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Reading the about the price gouging, road, drama and you can’t keep a fish or use bait... This doesn’t sound very fun.

No it doesn't...but when you get there on the right day the fishing can be phenomenal!

Douglas N
05-27-2020, 07:27 PM
No it doesn't...but when you get there on the right day the fishing can be phenomenal!

True. It’s been very slow this spring, but it’s still good for the soul to get on the water.

Douglas N
05-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Not sure about the gouging elsewhere, but Paul and Sheri run an excellent operation and their prices are very fair.

The roads, particularly to Winifred Lake Lodge and Grist deteriorate extremely fast in the rain. I have seen some heartbreaking wrecks coming out of there over the years. Anyone that pulls a large boat or RV past the airstrip is taking a huge gamble.

laker taker2
06-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Anyone reading been to the lodge? Heading up next week. Curious what shape the road is in right now. May take our boat, always made it in but it can be slick.
How was fishing? It should be just getting good!!!

Jamie
06-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Ok. We were supposed to go today but the rain and the road conditions have put us on pause. It sounds like the road is impassable right now as some one with a boat or perhaps more than one boat was stuck and has mad a big hole. We will try again tomorrow.

So much rain forecasted for that area... YUCK.. Up to 75 MIL was on the weather network. We have packed the Salmon fishing rain gear.. All rubber... Lets see what we can do!!

My First time targeting Walleye as I have never caught one. I am using 5 diamonds with a steel leader (2s and 4s) . Thoughts? Also have green/yellow jigs with a fluttery silver leaf/spoon on them. Thought that attached with a rubber (Black) tail was a good shot. Do I use the same steel leader? Also, am I bouncing this jig off the bottom or just finding bottom and jigging my way back?

I did buy a portable depth sounder/Fish finder as well. Nice little Garmin unit.

swampy45
06-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Anyone reading been to the lodge? Heading up next week. Curious what shape the road is in right now. May take our boat, always made it in but it can be slick.
How was fishing? It should be just getting good!!!

I saw pictures of the lodge/public road last week and I wouldn’t even take it in a lifted 4x4. Good luck with a boat.

laker taker2
06-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Ok. We were supposed to go today but the rain and the road conditions have put us on pause. It sounds like the road is impassable right now as some one with a boat or perhaps more than one boat was stuck and has mad a big hole. We will try again tomorrow.

So much rain forecasted for that area... YUCK.. Up to 75 MIL was on the weather network. We have packed the Salmon fishing rain gear.. All rubber... Lets see what we can do!!

My First time targeting Walleye as I have never caught one. I am using 5 diamonds with a steel leader (2s and 4s) . Thoughts? Also have green/yellow jigs with a fluttery silver leaf/spoon on them. Thought that attached with a rubber (Black) tail was a good shot. Do I use the same steel leader? Also, am I bouncing this jig off the bottom or just finding bottom and jigging my way back?

I did buy a portable depth sounder/Fish finder as well. Nice little Garmin unit.

Jaime it’s an easy lake to fish. Use you garmin, look for life. You’ll catch fish. Pike are everywhere just troll huge spoons. Walleye are plentiful off most any point a tad deeper, but you’ll get them on the same gear for pike. It’s kind of crazy. The river can hold lots of fish if the wind come up, it’s kind of crappy in the wind, nowhere to hide.
I’ll be curious to hear about the road. I do have 3/4 ton 4X4 so I’m sure we will be fine, just curious about the boat or not. It’s only a 17 ft aluminum so not a Monster. Pulls lite.

Douglas N
06-03-2020, 06:19 PM
I’ve worked there for over 20 years, and I’ve never seen the road past the airstrip so bad. I turned around last week with my truck (no trailer). Even when the road is “good”, it can turn ugly very quickly with a few hours of rain. The previous lodge owners were in the oilfield maintenance business, had the equipment, and experienced operators to keep the road in good shape. That is not the case now, and it shows. Soon enough that lodge will be back to a fly in only camp.

WinefredCommander
06-03-2020, 08:10 PM
I’ve worked there for over 20 years, and I’ve never seen the road past the airstrip so bad. I turned around last week with my truck (no trailer). Even when the road is “good”, it can turn ugly very quickly with a few hours of rain. The previous lodge owners were in the oilfield maintenance business, had the equipment, and experienced operators to keep the road in good shape. That is not the case now, and it shows. Soon enough that lodge will be back to a fly in only camp.

Which is EXACTLY what Lloyd McMahon wants!!! He’s probably digging the holes!!

Douglas N
06-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Which is EXACTLY what Lloyd McMahon wants!!! He’s probably digging the holes!!

Could be, but would not be wise. There are other ways to access that lake.

Kitt
06-03-2020, 09:03 PM

There is a TON of lakes where you can catch non stop walleye that are paved right to the boat launch if that is your goal.

Dark Wing
06-04-2020, 05:32 AM
There is a TON of lakes where you can catch non stop walleye that are paved right to the boat launch if that is your goal.

I would imagine they would want some monster pike in the mix as well and that area has a few of those .

Jamie
06-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Here now. Nasty road. Literally saw a trailer ripped in 1/2 Anyone pulls their boat in here is making a mistake. Big rain, no fish at all this after noon. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

RigPig
06-05-2020, 11:20 AM
If a guy is planning to launch at Paul the trappers. How would the road be? I know the public launch road is past it and is generally way worse. This will be my first time in with a 18ft glass boat.

laker taker2
06-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Here now. Nasty road. Literally saw a trailer ripped in 1/2 Anyone pulls their boat in here is making a mistake. Big rain, no fish at all this after noon. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

With the weather change, move a tad deeper and downsize baits. Use a smaller walleye type crankbait and key is hitting bottom. The area called the cliffs always does well. Or around the larger of the 2 islands far from the lodge.
Has to be fish to be caught.

dustinjoels
06-07-2020, 05:55 PM
If a guy is planning to launch at Paul the trappers. How would the road be? I know the public launch road is past it and is generally way worse. This will be my first time in with a 18ft glass boat.

I was there a week ago and Paul had his road in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. With the rain, it’ll grease up a bit, but he grades it himself and does a good job. I’ve never had an issue getting into his place regardless of weather.

RigPig
06-07-2020, 07:44 PM
I was there a week ago and Paul had his road in the best shape I’ve ever seen it. With the rain, it’ll grease up a bit, but he grades it himself and does a good job. I’ve never had an issue getting into his place regardless of weather.

Thanks for the info.

Jamie
06-07-2020, 11:11 PM
Back from another fun trip with the kids. Fish and weather did not co operate but we sure did laugh.

Winefred Lake lodge is looking run down TBH. It seems they have some improving going on with a new deck and so on. Service from the dock hand was top notch. Jon (one of the owners) was a nice guy and answered our questions. We had no heat in the unit for the stay and that was one of the bigger reasons we decided to leave early. We couldn't justify no heat, wet clothes and $500 a night combined with no fishing with the weather. We were given a small space heater but that was not overly effective with keeping us warm and had little effect on getting our stuff dry. Jon assumed the heat just was going to take a while to kick in. We were still waiting 48 hours later. Going out I took the advice of a employee of the lodge and followed his direction on what side to take the deep hole.. I should have listened to myself. $700 with of Bumper plastic later and we were through. I brought this up with Jon and was told that its not their responsibility to take care of the road. Fair enough and I suppose he is right.I would have been happy with just a acknowledgment of his guy making a bad call after I told him what way we used on the way in with help from another employee. Instead it was thrown back on me saying I had asked for help. But anyhow, it doesn't matter. It was my truck and I had final say. I do enjoy that lake though. The sun came out on Friday and the action heated right up. We had 30 fish to the boat in 2 hours. It was hot and heavy with the largest being a 15 pound pike. The minute the clouds came back the bite died off. It was like a switch. Only caught one more fish after that. So much to learn about this fresh water stuff. I sure am enjoying it. But once again, the kids made me laugh , we smiled, we played cards and teased the hell out of each other. Not sure where our next adventure will take us. We caught one lousy Walleye and it is about 2 inches long. Great picture though!!! Seems this Walleye fishing is as tough as elk hunting!!!

laker taker2
06-08-2020, 06:59 AM
Sounds like our trip last year. Lots of waiting for good weather that never came.
What is your advice on the road? I’ll take your advice on this hole to avoid. Would we get a boat in? It’s fairly light with decent clearance towing.

Blastoff
06-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Not impressed by your story on the lodge conditions or the room condition. Pretty sad you had to pay for that after being in the rain and trying to dry off your clothes. They should :snapoutofit:

Jamie
06-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Sounds like our trip last year. Lots of waiting for good weather that never came.
What is your advice on the road? I’ll take your advice on this hole to avoid. Would we get a boat in? It’s fairly light with decent clearance towing.

I wouldn't even think about a boat. Not a chance in hell. A car topper on a rack MIGHT work but I would be worried about being top heavy. I would imagine with every pass that hole gets worse. As I said, I saw a trailer ripped in half.

Go left on the way in and right on the way out. Take a tow strap. Consider hooking it up before you take a run ai it. Have a winch? Cum along? Dont go alone

laker taker2
06-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Flooding on 881 and all around lac la biche. I hope the fish aren’t reading these reports. Just getting there might be the biggest adventure. Camp boats it is!

MooseRiverTrapper
06-09-2020, 02:09 AM
$500 a night... was that all inclusive? Minus heat lol??

pikeman06
06-09-2020, 09:26 AM
No doubt moose river. That'll be the day. Get a room in cold lake for 70 bux a night. The government should pave a road into winefred an build a 300 lot campsite.

Jim Blake
06-09-2020, 11:32 AM
It would be nice to see some pictures of this trip Jamie.

Jamie
06-09-2020, 05:19 PM
$500 a night... was that all inclusive? Minus heat lol??

3 People with Boat and fuel and room with a Kitchenette. Heat was extra!! :-) Bad directions on where to take a truck through a mud hole was free though. Still kinda Salty on that one.

They did throw in some seats for the boats for free. Jon seemed like a a nice enough guy and the dock hand was really good.

Overall though, the engine on our boat started, the boats were beat up a bit, the seats were all worn out, the Log lodge has seen much better days, the showers were AWESOME and hot, the units are small and uncomfortable to stay in, The beds were nice, the sheets were nice. It was neat to see old school bubble TVs, Fold up chairs for around the table were quickly replaced by stealing from the other unit we had access to.

This was our second trip. Both times had us laughing and making great memories. But I think I am done here. Other adventures are to be found. Heat is important and I didn't feel the greatest after reading his response about the $700 worth of truck repairs. Just didn't feel the love and I think I might find it elsewhere.

WinefredCommander
06-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Really too bad but I think this is what the new owners want by design. They don’t want prying eyes...they make their money off of Americans. I hope Fish & Wildlife makes many many many unannounced visits to the McMahons...

What’s the bigger tragedy is the old owners sold out knowing damn well this guy is an outfitting poacher..

Jamie
06-09-2020, 10:51 PM
Really too bad but I think this is what the new owners want by design. They don’t want prying eyes...they make their money off of Americans. I hope Fish & Wildlife makes many many many unannounced visits to the McMahons...

What’s the bigger tragedy is the old owners sold out knowing damn well this guy is an outfitting poacher..

That American idea isnt working out to well this year I am afraid. And unless they are going to flood that place for fishing during the summer, I cant see too many taking advantage of it. Sure hunting is there but that place can hold a back of people that a hunting camp never would. They are in the midst of renovating the conference centre with a new deck but I didn't see much progress during our time.