PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lodge in Alberta to take my aging Dad to ... thoughts?

anorthernhunter
05-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't post often but read the forum every day.

Question, my Dad's health is starting to falter (he is 3 years into recovery from stage 4 lymphoma and leukemia) and is starting to talk about the dreaded "one last fishing trip".

He and I are seasoned fisherman but he is not as mobile as he was. We could go guided or just as easily unguided.

So ... question, he wants to stay in AB. Any thoughts about a very good (defined as "higher end", very high quality of fishing, clean and comfortable amenities - bedding, food etc) lodge? Dollars aren't as important to Dad as his "last trip".

Perhaps a fly-in to Lake Athabasca or something as close (we are in Edmonton) as Cold Lake.

Any thoughts etc?

I will look on line but thought I could tap into the braintrust of the group on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

pinelakeperch
05-14-2020, 04:10 PM
I only have recommendations in Ontario, but wanted to wish you a great trip. The amount of potential trips with my dad is dwindling, and I really cherish every moment I get to wet a line with him.

anorthernhunter
05-14-2020, 04:14 PM
Thanks Pine for the note back.

35 whelen
05-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Andrew Lake Lodge ,Island Lake Lodge

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

nimrod
05-14-2020, 04:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't post often but read the forum every day.

Question, my Dad's health is starting to falter (he is 3 years into recovery from stage 4 lymphoma and leukemia) and is starting to talk about the dreaded "one last fishing trip".

He and I are seasoned fisherman but he is not as mobile as he was. We could go guided or just as easily unguided.

So ... question, he wants to stay in AB. Any thoughts about a very good (defined as "higher end", very high quality of fishing, clean and comfortable amenities - bedding, food etc) lodge? Dollars aren't as important to Dad as his "last trip".

Perhaps a fly-in to Lake Athabasca or something as close (we are in Edmonton) as Cold Lake.

Any thoughts etc?

I will look on line but thought I could tap into the braintrust of the group on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Glenn, treat your dad and you to Fortress lake on the BC side, great brook trout fishing. great people, heli in and out

fishpro
05-14-2020, 05:01 PM
I went to Lakers Unlimited on Lake Athabasca last year and would highly recommend it! The fishing was outstanding (I was there in September for shallow laker action), the food was great, and the lodge was simple but very comfortable. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

Jim Blake
05-15-2020, 06:58 AM
Glenn, treat your dad and you to Fortress lake on the BC side, great brook trout fishing. great people, heli in and out

I would also recommend this trip. We've been there numerous times over many years, even back when Mike had it and we use to fly in with a Beaver from Golden. Now the helicopter trip from the Cline is amazing. You can't beat the scenery, or the fantastic fishing. Great food, good boats, excellent accommodation, a shore lunch if you want and a fantastic host. Last trip there I caught an 8lb. brookie my PB. PM me if you would like.