PDA

View Full Version : Polar Lake, NWT

Heimdallr
07-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know anything about this lake near Hay River? It's supposed to be stocked with Arctic Char, but other than that I cannot find any information about it at all. I'm heading up to La Crete for a wedding next week and I thought maybe I'd hop across to NWT and see if I could catch myself an Arctic Char. Any information on the fishing or just general information on the lake such as size would be extremely helpful.

Heimdallr
08-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Anyone?

Heimdallr
08-02-2009, 10:38 AM
No one?

DiggsNWT
08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
No one?

If you are talking about the Polar Lake Recreation area located about 60kms from Hay River, then I know a bit about it.

Firstly, I have never heard of anyone ever catching anything out of that lake but the odd jack and minnows. The only meal sized char ever showing up at polar has been outta someone's ice box. This does not necessarily mean that it was not stocked at some point in the past...but I know they are not being caught.

Polar Lake is small recreation area that is often used by locals from Hay River. There are few camp sites with no services/facilities. The small lake is ok for canoeing and small watercraft.

Honestly...you are better off looking for another area if you want to go fishing for anything...period. Decent pickeral fishing can be had just further up the hwy at Little Buffalo Territorial Park. If you want char, better head up the Dempster or book a plane charter to the Coppermine or other such rivers.

Diggs

PS Where did u get the info that Polar Lake was stocked with Arctic Char?

Heimdallr
08-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I got the information from the Hay River town website.

http://www.hayriver.com/main/attractions_water.htm

Just above the picture of the guy with the pike on the right column. Do you know anywhere close to Hay River that's good for fishing with easy access. I only have a pontoon boat as I mainly fly fish so Great Slave is kind of out of the question. Looking for somewhere fairly close that has some good fishing probably for Grayling or Pike is char aren't a possibility.

DiggsNWT
08-02-2009, 05:14 PM
You can launch at Portitt Landing right in Hay River. It is a public launch with decent parking. The launch is in a channel that is about 300yds from the actual Hay River. It is right in town just after you cross the first set of train tracks on the main hwy. My bud launches his 24 ft toon boat there steady.

There is fish in the Hay River...pickeral, jack, gold eye and whitefish. However, the river has been so silty that very few people have been catching. It does seem to be clearing up a bit now though. There were people catching pickeral on Wed night right at the boat launch.

There are also a few small creeks draining into GSL on either side of the Hay River. I had some good action at Sandy Creek last weekend. It is to the east of the Hay River along the GSL shore about 5 miles.

If you feel like driving a bit further, head east towards Ft Smith/Fort Resolution and make your way to Little Buffalo River. It is also a small creek draining into the GSL. It is a good spot for pike and pikeral. I know we can launch a 20ft jet boat there so your toon boat is prolly ok.

Or...I had good luck on the Mackenzie River last week. I was catching grayling off of the front of the islands near Fort Providence (150 km west of Enterprise jct). Good boat launch. I was using mepps spinners. Many people come up from Alberta and fish from the shore at the ice bridge crossing just east of Providence. Very very successful. You could also launch there...I do it all the time. You can go upriver on the Mackenzie. There are buoys for the deep water channel. As you get close to GSL there are some excellent fish spots for large pike and good pickeral holes too. Work the weed beds for the jack and look for back eddy's that hold pickeral. You could also go down river about 20k from Fort Providence launch to the Horn River...excellent pickeral, jack, and inconnu.

Forgot to mention Kakisa Lake/River. Excellent pickeral fishery on the lake. There is grayling in the Kakisa River in the spring...but not now. My bud had his toon boat out there on the lake a month ago and hammered the pickeral!

When u coming up?

Good luck!

Diggs

Heimdallr
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm heading to La Crete, AB for a wedding on the 8th and I'll just probably head to Hay River for the day with my mom basically just to say I've been to the NWT. Fishing would have been a bonus, but not an absolute priority. I might try out some of the spots you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

DiggsNWT
08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Lots of fisherman in La Crete!!! They frequent "Mackenzie" which is Fort Providence and the winter crossing location I mentioned earlier. My company operates the territorial campgrounds at Fort Providence and Twin Falls on the Hay River. Stop by and say hello if you are passing through.

Diggs

Heimdallr
08-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all your advice. The drive from La Crete to Hay River is a little farther than I expected so I'm not sure if I'm going to make the drive up now. If I do I'll probably check out the Mckenzie near Providence as you suggested.

DiggsNWT
08-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all your advice. The drive from La Crete to Hay River is a little farther than I expected so I'm not sure if I'm going to make the drive up now. If I do I'll probably check out the Mckenzie near Providence as you suggested.
Ummm...Hay River is about 310 kms from High Level. Ft. Providence is about 410kms from High Level.

Diggs

Heimdallr
08-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm more than willing to drive the extra hour for fishing, it's just whether or not I'm going to be able to make time for the four hour drive from La Crete.