PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for baitcaster set-up for bass and pike

scel
05-16-2020, 01:37 AM
OK. I am a preferential fly angler. However, I will often break out the spin rod when I only have a short time or when I need to cover a lot of water quickly. Of course, when it is time to fish deep, fly fishing sucks.
With a budget of $200 (for rod and reel), would it be possible to get a decent baitcaster set up for pike. I was supposed to spend time in Ontario. Bass fishing picks up when pike fishing gets tough, so it would be nice if the rod/reel could pull double duty.
Any advise?

SamSteele
05-16-2020, 07:06 AM
It’s possible, for sure. Every reel manufacturer has a bait caster in that $100 range. I would say that the difference between a $100 and a $200 baitcaster is much larger than between a $100 and a $200 spinning reel so you may get more “bang for your buck” with a spinning setup.

If you are set on a baitcaster, I’d probably look for the Shimano SLX 150/151 (depends if you feel right or left handed) and pair that with their SLX baitcasting rod in a 7’ 2” Medium. If they aren’t on sale it would be around $250. On sale should put it in your price range.

HuyFishin
05-16-2020, 09:00 AM
The slx is sweet for the price. Not sure if there is extra maintenance for the digital braking though

SamSteele
05-16-2020, 09:04 AM
The slx is sweet for the price. Not sure if there is extra maintenance for the digital braking though

They make an SLX and an SLX DC. The DC is about twice the price but still less than a Curado DC.

scel
05-16-2020, 01:26 PM
It’s possible, for sure. Every reel manufacturer has a bait caster in that $100 range. I would say that the difference between a $100 and a $200 baitcaster is much larger than between a $100 and a $200 spinning reel so you may get more “bang for your buck” with a spinning setup.

If you are set on a baitcaster, I’d probably look for the Shimano SLX 150/151 (depends if you feel right or left handed) and pair that with their SLX baitcasting rod in a 7’ 2” Medium. If they aren’t on sale it would be around $250. On sale should put it in your price range.

Thanks a ton. I am part of the 'cry once' crowd that would prefer to get a good quality setup that will last. I have used a baitcaster before (maybe 20 hours total). Is there a 'sweet spot' entry price that balances out performance with cost. I know for fly setups, it is around $400 (for $200 rod, $100 reel, and $100 line)---cheaper set ups definitely work fine, but increases in price just provide incremental improvements. So, a $200 rod will be noticeably better than a $100 rod, maybe twice as good, but a $400 is defintely not twice as good as $200 rod.

Outbound
05-16-2020, 02:13 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack, if so I can start a new thread:

I'm in a similar boat to the OP though in that I'm setting up a baitcaster for pike. I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5600 reel I was planning on using. I used to use it for salmon in BC as well as a 10'6" Shimano Technium rod, medium heavy power, 12 - 25lb line rating.

I think the reel will be fine but I think the rod is a little overkill for AB pike fishing. Any suggestions on a rod to match with the 5600 reel?

SamSteele
05-16-2020, 09:42 PM
I feel like good quality braking systems in baitcasters start to be available in the $200-250 range. The Curado K model is pretty widely used by tournament pros throughout the bass circuit for good reason. My son uses a Curado K with a Zodias rod and it’s a great combo. An SLX DC would be in the same price range and it has digital control braking, which is nice.

If you are set on baitcasters I would spend more on the reel and save some on the rod. I feel like that would end up in a more enjoyable combo for you. Birds nests on the water are not fun, so a better braking system is likely worth it.

Osky
05-17-2020, 07:18 AM
Sorry if this is a hijack, if so I can start a new thread:

I'm in a similar boat to the OP though in that I'm setting up a baitcaster for pike. I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5600 reel I was planning on using. I used to use it for salmon in BC as well as a 10'6" Shimano Technium rod, medium heavy power, 12 - 25lb line rating.

I think the reel will be fine but I think the rod is a little overkill for AB pike fishing. Any suggestions on a rod to match with the 5600 reel?

I use and carry extra St. Croix 8'6 Avid series rods for pike. Most are the medium heavy power fast action rods. Very lightweight and tough. I like that much length as it makes casting a breeze and for trolling they keep good bend.
I use the Okuma low profile reels, but I think the 5600 reels would work great on the rod.

Nice catches Sam.

Osky

Outbound
05-17-2020, 11:06 AM
I use and carry extra St. Croix 8'6 Avid series rods for pike. Most are the medium heavy power fast action rods. Very lightweight and tough. I like that much length as it makes casting a breeze and for trolling they keep good bend.
I use the Okuma low profile reels, but I think the 5600 reels would work great on the rod.

Nice catches Sam.

Osky

Cool, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Fishwhere
05-17-2020, 09:21 PM
I tried to go the baitcaster route and was quite dissapointed. Unless you are already dead set on having a baitcaster i would fish with a borrowed one for a day or so first. I find a spincast way more versatile overall. Lots of people will disagree, including maybe yourself but just make sure thats what you want before you commit.

scel
05-18-2020, 02:37 AM
I tried to go the baitcaster route and was quite dissapointed. Unless you are already dead set on having a baitcaster i would fish with a borrowed one for a day or so first. I find a spincast way more versatile overall. Lots of people will disagree, including maybe yourself but just make sure thats what you want before you commit.

This is excellent advice. I have spent about 20-25 hours using a baitcaster. After the first hour, I decided that baitcasters were awful and stupid. Then I became proficient at dealing with birdsnests.Then I started catching fish. I am not that good, but the control when casting large lures is what makes baitcasters so good to me.

I have an ultra-light spin rod and the full set up of fly gear (from micro trout to pike). The baitcaster is the last tool that I *need* (yeah right...as if I will stop buying fishing gear :) ).

calgarygringo
05-18-2020, 07:26 AM
Baitcasters are great once you get the know how to use them down pat. Many do not and arecalways thumbs down. I have used 5600 for pike fishing for many years and is a great option. Some casting and you can double it up for trolling. I also use a low profile Quantum Tour as well for serious casting days. Pair it up with your favorite rod and you will enjoy them. Watch for good sales too local and online as sometimes the more expensive reels good deals can be had. Try to watch and avoid the made in China stuff too if it is possible though sometines not. Shimano good stuff is from Japan and Abu Sweden.